CP Rebatch question...figuring what all to add

michelleB

Ok, I've done some rebatches (never by choice, lol) but it's been a while since the last one and I'm a little fuzzy on the details. Plus this one is different for me because it's not just a matter of melting it back down & putting it back in the mold this time. I need to increase the overall batch size, which will mean figuring out how much more oil and lye to add. That's where I could really use some input. For figuring the amount of oils needed for the mold size, isn't it width x length x desired depth x .4 ??

See, I've got these two seperate batches of soaps that I'm gonna rebatch together, plus I need to increase by approx 5.5 oz of oils to make it give me the bar size I'm after in the mold I'm using. I THINK I could just run a 5.5 oz batch of soap through the soapcalc, using whichever oil I'm gonna use for the addition (probably olive or canola), and have it give me the lye amount that way. Sound right? I'm sorry if these are really dumb questions, but I've been soaping all evening/night so far and my mind is completely worn out. And I do mean COMPLETELY. And did I mention that my mind is worn out?

:confused:

ok I'm gonna try to clarify if I can so that maybe my post will make better sense because I just know that somebody here has "been there, done that" and can help me...

I have a lot of soap that I'm saving for rebatch (approx 60 oz) and it's almost enough to fill up my smaller mold, but not quite. I need another 5 oz and I'll be good. So to make this work out right, do I CP a 5 oz batch as usual, and then incorporate the melted shreds?? Nah, that doesn't sound right. Reason I'm confused is because with all of the other rebatches I've done, I've never had to add lye water again and I'm not sure when/how that part is incorporated. Should I just rebatch as usual, while in a seperate pot adding lye to the 5oz oils, and then combine everything?

Sorry for the dumbo question, but I've looked high and low for info on that one particular thing and can't seem to find any pointers. Thanks for any input!

Michelle.. Even with my scale that reads .000 ounces, I would never try a 5 oz batch of soap. If you need 5 more ounces, please shred 5 more ounces of soap.. Try a complementary color or one that's pretty close to the one you have now.

Or.. Make another batch of soap, but in the soap calc make it 5 ounces more than your normal batch. Then take out 5 ounces of traced soap...

Bunny you'd be amazed how grateful I am for even that simple answer! That suggestion of shredding up another 5oz of soap will work perfectly and I'm sooooo embarrassed for not thinking of it myself, and yet tickled pink that YOU did, lol. I actually make 5-5.5oz bars anyway, so that solution couldn't be any easier for me.

:yay:

Thank you SO very much! Now I'm off to pick another bar for the shredder! (and please don't tell anyone about my "blonde moment" LOL)