Shipping candles

Gretchen

hi guys!

Well, seems I'm beyond just my local (within reasonable driving distance) area and will need to start shipping. I've read a few post regarding Fedex , USPS, and UPS, so it sounds like I should be checking into Fedex (?); but my bigger question is the actual packaging or boxing. My jars can be packed back into the case boxes they came to me in. They have nice, sturdy deviders. Now when they come to me they come via a freight truck, right from the manufacturer so they're not being tossed around; they're stacked together and wrapped in that saran stuff. When I go to ship these back out as candles, do I need to pack that box inside another box? And then I have a smaller tumbler that's wrapped in a cello bag, tightly, but wrapped so there's that cello stuff sticking up and tied off as part of the look (guess that's what you'd call it, though I'm not exactly thrilled with it). That's an even bigger problem. Each candle will have to be wrapped again, assumming in something like bubble wrap, and then packed, which when it comes to filling a box, may be an issue. To make it even more difficult, I don't want to booger up the cello tops; know what I'm saying?

Any advice from those of you that are shipping your products would be greatly appriciated.

Gretchen

Not sure about your tumbler jar you may have play with that to get your shipping just right but I double box and use peanuts. I also put my jars back into the box they came in with the dividers. I ship two cases at a time and they will fit in a 20x15x15 box. I put a small layer of peanuts down first then stack the two boxes on top of each other and then fill it up with peanuts. I have yet to have any breakage and i been shipping for over 3 years now. I found a local box company and purchase the boxes in qtys of 25's at $1 each and can get a huge 20cu ft bag of peanuts for $10, pretty inexpensive for peace of mind shipping. Hope that helps

I would definitely double box. So that I don't have to spend a fortune on filling up the box, I keep all the peanuts that come in things that I buy. Also, the Post Office throws away a lot of bubble wrap. If you know someone who works there they may be able to give it to you since it'll be thrown away. I get tons from a family member who works at the PO. Also, if you decide to ship via Priority Mail you can get those boxes for free through the USPS website. HTH

I don't know where it comes from, but I assume that the post office gets deliveries of supplies and such. I'll ask my aunt (the one who gives it to me) and see what she says. About every other month she gives me a huge trash bag full of it. Now that I think about it, she's about due, I need to call her!!

oh...sorry makes sense. Actually our UPS store always has extra bubble wrap as well. Not only do they get shipments but believe it or not people bring in their bubble wrap thinking they can resell it but they can't so thats why the PO and UPS store has extra and they are glad to get rid of it. Another thing you can do is your retail stores in your town have to dispose of theirs so you might call them and ask what they with it. In our town they are required to bag up their peanuts before they put them in the dumpster, i used to buy them trash bags and then go by and pick up the peanuts but i'm kinda beyond that now. They don't get enough shipments to keep up with my demand so thats why i purchase it now.

I asked my aunt...she works in a department that keeps track of vehicles...maintenance & stuff...Anywho...She said they get deliveries of parts, supplies, etc and usually just throw the bubble wrap away. She said you could go to the P.O. and ask if they have any bubble wrap that they're planning on throwing out and they should give it to you.