How do you make marble colored tarts?

I was hoping there was a better way, Scented. I have tried that both in the pour pot and in the mold. I pour at 145 degrees in order to produce a smooth top with rounded edges. When I tried using the dyed tooth pick after pouring only the top was marbled and was not very nice looking at that. When I tried it in the pour pot, some of them come out ok, but half of them came as out a solid color. There in lies the inconsistancy. Note, I was only using 8 ounces of wax at a time in a small pour pot.

Because they're small, what about dipping a toothpick in the dye and then swirling it in your poured product?

I've done this before and it works out pretty well. A tiny bit of dye will go a long way. If you use too much, it won't swirl properly. This method works for votives too. :)

Looks like I posted at the same time you did, lol. I have only done the marbled tart after pouring into the tart shell. I didn't use 6228 though, so maybe that's the difference. When you put the toothpick into the tart mold, make sure you go all the way to the bottom and the kinda swirl up from there. Hope that makes sense.

Jim,

I use the 6228 wax as well for my pillars, votives and I do a 50/50 mix of 6228 and j223 for my tarts. Try pouring a little warmer, and then do the swirl with the toothpick. It sounds to me like you may be trying to marble it just a tad too cool..... course thats JMHO... :)

Actually, Candle guy, I also use a 50/50 mix of 6228 and J223. Just in case you are reading this, Top, I know that you :sad2: on we people who mix pre-blended waxes. LOL I do, however, get satisfactory results ( except for this marble thing). When I gain more experience and have the time and money to do more experimentation, I will probably try plain votive wax.

could you treat the wax more like you would putty patch you smear over holes in the walls?

I.E. melt some wax and then wait for it to get like icing and swirl in some dyes like you would typically do for a marbled pour...and then just use a putty knife one of the big ones to get a glob and then force it accross the tart mold or whatever forcing it into the mold. almost like laying mortar for brick and cement work...

don't try to pour them, make marbled wax and then use it like putty...

Would something like that work?

Additionally, you said you had tried it in the pour pot but some came out swirl and some came out solid....

if you wait for the wax to cool longer (under the assumption that you wont be pouring you will be using it like putty smearing the swirl wax into the tart mold) and then it will swirl better and you don't have to worry about additional mixing on the pour or through the heat causing the dye to travel when they cool...

hey also I know tart molds are shallow...but it might almost be worth putting the little molds in like a cake pan of water because it will cause the wax to harden and the dye to set up faster. sometimes when I am trying to make a streak candle if I don't use a waterbath to lock the streaks in where I want them, they will keep on traveling.

Does any of this make sense?

Sorry if I wasted your time.

I don't usually make tarts.