National Candle Association

I have always believed in supporting industry related organizations, for many reasons. I checked out the National Candle Association with the intention of joining...until I saw the dues:rolleyes2 HORRORS! I couldn't believe it. Are any of you members? If so, do you find it to be worth it?

I would just like to hear the "pros" about it.

Thanks,

Taken From their Site -

2006 Dues Structure for Regular Members

SALES VOLUME**

Less than $5 million - Dues $2,100

$5,000,001 to $10,000,000 - Dues $4,400

$10,000,001 to $25,000,000 - Dues $8,400

$25,000,001 to $50,000,000 - Dues $16,600

$50,000,001 to $100,000,000 - Dues $24,900

$100,000,001 to $200,000,000 - Dues $33,100

$200,000,001 to $500,000,000 - Dues $38,850

Over $500 million - Dues $44,100

I remember surfing up on this one a long time back

Do you get the idea they aren't interested in the average Chandler being members? :rolleyes2

(edited to make it easier to read)

I think that one you have listed is for the big money makers in the industry, not so much for the smaller folk.

Here are a couple of others to look into...

http://www.craftcouncil.org/

http://www.igca.net/

I know it looks nice on your business card...lol

I have a friend who makes beautiful jewelry and she is part of an artisans guild, I know she has more sales because of it.

HTH!

Are any of its members listed in there? If so, it'd be interesting to see who they are.

Yes, they list the manufacturer and distributor members here - http://www.candles.org/nca_manufacturers.html

Most of the major names of course

And the Suppliers who are members are listed here -

http://www.candles.org/nca_suppliers.html#Candle%20Making%20Supplies

Thanks...I joined the IGCA tonight. Seems a bit more sane for my "level". I am excited about the convention coming up in Oklahoma. It will be my FIRST!! Waaa HOOO!!!

MEEEEEEEEE too..lol I am only an hour and a half away I grew up in OKC so I can stay at my parents for a couple of days, I am seriously considering going to the one in Oklahoma City I think it would be alot of fun!!

Thanks...I joined the IGCA tonight. Seems a bit more sane for my "level". I am excited about the convention coming up in Oklahoma. It will be my FIRST!! Waaa HOOO!!!

You will LOVE the convention!! I went in 2004 when it was held here in CO. I met a lot of really nice people, learned a lot of stuff I didn't know how to do, and learned that I knew more than I really thought I did!! lol (If that makes sense!) I was all set to go to convention last year when I was IN a wedding the same weekend that it started, and all set to go this year, but just started a new full-time job outside the home, and can't get a whole week off for it. :(

I'll def be at next years though! :) They are a blast.

I'm contemplating whether to go or not lol! Afterall it's only a state away. That is as long as Oklahoma is done burning away.

My plans are to go also - I joined a few weeks back (Well I sent them the money anyway - haven't heard anything back from them yet)

Have already started putting a little money aside from each check toward my "Get Outta Town For A Week" fund - I still have to check my records to make sure, but I don't think Oklahoma is one of the states I have been permanently banned from - yet

Well I said this morning that I hadn't heard back from ICGA yet so I dropped a note to the membership contact e-mail listed on the IGCA site just to see if they had recieved my membership application yet (The US Postal service skeers me sometimes yanno?)

So of course when I got home from work tonight my membership packet was in the mailbox lol

In addition when I checked my email I had recieved e-mails from 3 of the people on the membership commitee or whatever it is - It was 3 seperate e-mails from 3 different people from the IGCA anyway - All welcoming me and telling me they looked forward to meeting me at the convention and telling me a bit of what goes on there etc.

Also offered to help out if I ever had any questions about anything candle related - said just drop them an email and if they didn't know the answer they would try and search out someone who did - In addition I was given info on a IGCA workshop that will be held here in Arkansas over in Eureka Springs in April.

All in all I am impressed! Can't wait for July - And I hope I get to meet a bunch of the people from here on the forum in Oklahoma this year!

No ma'am I wasn't flirtin' - well I don't think I was anyway - since I had no idea who would get the email I sent first - For all i knew it coulda been some 6' 4", 432 lb dude named Bubba who would get it when I sent it and that's not someone I would be inclined to flirt with yanno?

Maybe they just sensed I am "Special" (As in ridin' the short bus to school special)

I looked at the site a few years ago. They need to update the Candle Gallery pictures though since they seem to never change from year to year. I really need to join. I know in one of the groups or associations you can apply for the "master chandler" title which wouldnt hurt one bit to have. Bruce

I looked at the site a few years ago. They need to update the Candle Gallery pictures though since they seem to never change from year to year. I really need to join. I know in one of the groups or associations you can apply for the "master chandler" title which wouldnt hurt one bit to have. Bruce

They mentioned updating the web site in the newsletter I got with the membership packet - I agree, their site needs work - IMO pretty much needs to be completely redone from the ground up