Using cement all to make candle jars

Tjwaversano

All,

I am having a difficult time getting consistent results with color, air bubbles and chunks (even after mixing thoroughly)  using cement all. Similarly, I tend to damage the jar when removing it from the mold (little chips and such). I try to make the solution a little more watery (3 parts concrete to 2 parts water, so 5 parts total with a mixture of 600 g cement all and 400 g water for a total solution of 1000g) to avoid chunks. Color is a separate issue all together. I have been using iron oxide powder but that seems to require almost the entire bag just to get anywhere near the color I want (might go with a liquid dye from quickcrete). The air bubbles are managed using a dental vibrator, but even still the manage to show up. Any tips on how to master concrete?

For ceramic color, I use mason stains (made for concrete). They’re a bit more concentrated, but it still takes a shocking amount to get vibrant color.

i’ll need to look up your product to understand what the ratios are. But other cement products I’ve worked with too much water mixed them weak. 

• Like 1

Hi TallTayl,

I am using cement all from RapidSet. I do think I am using too much water. Going to change the ration to 4 parts cement to 1 part water. I'm trying some colorant from behr right now and it seems to be doing fine. I will definitely look into mason stains though! Air bubbles (bugholes) are a nightmare right now though and I cant seem to get rid of all of them.