custom mold makers

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I did the smaller version I just took out a little water and put in some ice cubes......waited.....took out a little water put in some ice cubes....repeat......repeat....then let cool and unmold. I don't see why this is getting so complicated.....think I will just have to play with that 55 gallon drum over in my neighbors yard and see what I can come up with. Size does matter. LOL Donita

Man thanks for all the good suggestions everyone.

Lol this posting is up to six pages in what 24hours ish?

Yes most of that is Top/Bruce/Myself duscussing the feasibility of creating a wax masterpiece while innebriated using a malt chiller and sheet metal but still...

Donita, I dunno if the ice thing would work only cause to make a huge difference in a 55 gallon drum of water that is cooling I'd end up using a lot of ice...I mean these things usually take a good day to cool at least.

it would be easier to regulate it if I had a cooling unit with a thermal gauge on it...

I could set the copper tubing to what 50 degrees and the water could remain at that temperature...

Now that would be slick. lol.

the aquarium ones might have better thermostat controls as well since they are used for animals as delicate as fish often are...

Good advice Pam...I'll look into all of this.

Here's one more chiller story for ya:

I wanted to take my seahorses in the RV with us but heat was a problem. Some guys in my fish club (similar to you three;) ) came up with this:

Get one of those small iceboxes that work on 12V(in garage you could use 110 model) - cut hole in the side and run the tubing inside, coil it a bunch then run it back out to the tank....powered by 1 powerhead. Never tried it - did buy the fridge though but dear son borrowed it to go the Yuma sand dunes with his buddies and I never saw it again:mad:

.....and you could keep the beer in there too:yay:

Lived in scottsdale for a short while.

Yuma is fun. rolled a buggy my first time out...

I'm a little bit of a speek freak. lol.

The fridge idea is good. probably pretty cheap to do as well...

could probably caulk the piping into the fridge so as to reseal the drill hole after I cut it...

could probably caulk the piping into the fridge so as to reseal the drill hole after I cut it...

Never been to Yuma, have you all been to Waynoka???

Or through the freezer. Smaller heat exchnger, less water needed.

Or you could just pack the mold in dry ice.:yay:

But once again, I still need the mold first. lol.

actually I have a mold that is barely usable that I made. I really need someone who can make me like 5 of these custom jobs then I don't have to spend three whole days pouring only one candle. I can pour enough of them to make it worth my while.

I've got a couple options of people I've been put in contact with. We will see what happens.

I'm still open to suggestions of builders though.

I don't think I was ever at Wynoka, I was only there for like six months maybe a little more. Is Waynoka pretty cool?

Just a thought. If you had an old fridge that could hold a constant temp of 55 or 60 degrees...

You could rip out all the shlves and mount one havy duty shelf in the bottom. Either use some really haevy duty drawer slides, or some old conveyor rollers...

Sit the water bath on a piece of plywood, the mold inside, pour the wax, fill the water bath, then roll the whole thing into the fridge.

You could put 2 0r 3 of these heavy duty shelves in, later, and use the rig for regular candles.

You'd have to test to see what the lowest safe temp is, for the candles. Not sure how cold they can get, without risking cracking.

I actually have a fridge sized freezer that is solely for my candles that I was planning on ripping the shelves out of...

I haven't played around with it too much...but I regularly throw my votives into the freezer 5-10 minutes after I have poured them and i don't have any problems with cracking.

It causes them to sink a little bit more but I'll try it...

However, I had not envisioned HOW I was going to get this mold into the fridge other than just brute force and some heat golves...I like the heavy duty support shelving...

I dunno the completed mold with wax should only weigh 50-75lbs or more...thats not too heavy. lol

Hey lets invite Tanya too. We will be brain storming and she be in the corner like "Billy Madison".. SLLLLOOOWWW DOOOOWWWWNNN............ SLOOOOOOOWWWWW DOOOOOOWN. LOL Really Tanya, your invited!

Cool sounds like a party and I'm ready :) What could be better, drinking and making some damn cool candles.

I actually have a fridge sized freezer that is solely for my candles that I was planning on ripping the shelves out of...

I haven't played around with it too much...but I regularly throw my votives into the freezer 5-10 minutes after I have poured them and i don't have any problems with cracking.

It causes them to sink a little bit more but I'll try it...

However, I had not envisioned HOW I was going to get this mold into the fridge other than just brute force and some heat golves...I like the heavy duty support shelving...

I dunno the completed mold with wax should only weigh 50-75lbs or more...thats not too heavy. lol

Yeah, you can get away with a few minutes. I was thinking more along the lines of leaving the candle and waterbath in there for a couple of days.

I know that I've been able to put pillars in the fridge for up to around 3 hours. Much more than that and they crack. I tend to keep my fridge at around 35 degrees, though. I keep it as cold as I can, without having anything freeze.

I'm thinking that if you could keep the fridge at 55 or 60, you'd get maximum cooling, without the danger of cracking.

Having this monster candle in the water baht, inside the fridge or freezer, should create a convection current in the water and the water should carry the heat away faster than just the air.

The more I think about it, the more I like the roller table thing... at least in the bottom, for this big one your doing.

Been thinking, too... with the insert you're talking about using, the wax in this thing will only be about an inch or two thick. It might not take as long as you think, for it to cool.

OK so this thread got me thinking BIG. I wonder if you could get any info from a wax museum. I am not sure how the wax figures are made..maybe carved, but it might be worth a shot. I am sure they have molds for some things and would have names and numbers of a place to get something on the scale of what you are looking for.

What about the drums we get our soaping oils in? Like shea butter comes in much more of a straight style that a bucket does. Have someone trim off the top ridges & viola...mold? MAybe?

THEN, isn't there the warmers for drums too? You could just warm the wax right in the drum, color, scent, mix & turn off the warmer.

(okay, I'm sure the drum warmers don't get that hot. But it was a thought!)

I have it figured out. You have to have 3 molds. One that will be 14" x 30" ....one that is 10" x 30" and one that is 9" x 30 inches. (approx) It will work. Trust me. Won't take very long to set up and you will still be able to pick it up.......I will post my picture of a smaller version tomorrow and you will see what I am talking about. This is so much fun!!!!!!! Donita