custom mold makers

It's one of the strategies homebrewers use to chill hot wort. In that context it's called an immersion chiller. They're simple to make.

I suppose to save water you make 2 of them and put the other in a big cold container of water in that freezer of yours, then pump between them. Kind of elaborate and requires electricity. I'd start by just expending water.

post-710-139458392808_thumb.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very cool top. I'm actually shopping for one right now online. You can actually get an electric one that cools itself for around $50 give or take the size.

I dunno though, they say these can take a 5 gallons of a liquid from boiling to 65 degrees or less depending on the model in 15 minutes!

Thats a fast cool...

Do you think that that will allow time for the wax to crystalize properly?

I dunno if it will crack it or not. I can probably just switch it on for two minutes, off for two minutes, on, off, on, off and that way drop the temperature fast but not fast enough to cause cracking.

this quantity of wax does take a couple of days to cool.

this would be a nice upgrade...

If you could pump the water out of your cooling bucket with your pond pump or sump pump ect and pump the water thru the copper line into an old freezer, (have to test to see how much you need to coil it up) run about 25 foot around and around and then back into your cooling bucket you will not waste any water and if you get a thermo switch you could regulate the water temp and keep it just right. Its about the same as a aquarium chiller for salt water tanks that need to be kept at a lower temp all the time. Bruce

Very cool top. I'm actually shopping for one right now online.

I dunno thought, they say these can take a 5 gallons of a liquid from boiling to 65 degrees or less depending on the model in 15 minutes!

Thats a fast cool...

Do you think that that will allow time for the wax to crystalize properly?

I dunno if it will crack it or not. I can probably just switch it on for two minutes, off for two minutes, on, off, on, off and that way drop the temperature fast but not fast enough to cause cracking...

You're not cooling the wax, just the bath water so you don't have to keep changing it. The ones for sale may not be the right size for your needs. It would be easy to just make one. You don't need to go all the way to the bottom of the bath either. The top half is more important. Hot liquid will rise to the top and the cool liquid from the coils will sink.

Dang, takes me so long to type it all out i get beat to the punch LOL

No its quite a compliment to me, so far I'm keeping up with the old guard. Lol.

Besides you gave me two more pices of info that are important. A.) a thermo switch to regulate temperature exists. i.e. I could start it circulating and get the temperature constant before I dropped the loops around the mold.

and they have things like this for a saltwater aquarium I can look at as well..

it would actually be cool to submerge one of these immersion coolers WITH a thermal swtich IN my already existing cold water bath that way I could just use the immersion cooler to cool off the water bath and I wont have to worry about frost lines from where the piping touches the mold...

it would actually be cool to submerge one of these immersion coolers WITH a thermal swtich IN my already existing cold water bath that way I could just use the immersion cooler to cool off the water bath and I wont have to worry about frost lines from where the piping touches the mold...
That's exactly the idea. Then you kick back and congratulate yourself on a good day of melting and pouring, while your candle cools on autopilot. No need to get too elaborate. I don't think there's a chance in the world that your bath water is going to get too cold. I doubt it requires any temperature regulation.

lol Bruce you spoke the very thoughts I was having...

it might make for a cool spiral effect...

I guess we will see.

This is something I will probably do, but I'm still about a year away (six months if I didn't have college and a wife and a part time job etc.. lol) from mass producing or being able to make.

We will see...

now I just need some custom molds!

yes we would be unstoppable, and we would have to do it out of the country. no insurance would have us.

If it can be made out of wax I can figure out how.

Top is good at explosive and I mean come on...you always need a demolitions guy...(I watch movies, its how I know these things)

and you could carve beautiful pictures into the sides of these candles...

we could make some serious money Bruce...think about it...

lol

Top: your right. however, as embarassing as it is for me to admit it, I of course have not reached the levels of nirvana you have, and as such will now attempt to pour a candle WHILE drinking beer....

again, if no one hears from me again, tell my wife I love her and Donita gets my big candle molds...unless someone beats her to them...

Mei-Mei: thats such a pretty internet handle...:) thank you so much for the offer. I'll PM you.

If it can be made out of wax I can figure out how.

Been there done that... I made Mr Bill candles back in the 70's, sand, water, freeform and even wax bongs (foil lined of course). If it can be made out of wax, I have done it! When you spend years at shows with hundreds of pounds of melted wax with you... you tend to play. LOL I don't drink beer Top, reduces my brain power and since i lived thru the 70's i need to keep what I have left :)

He wants to do a candle that's a 1/4 scale model of the Empire State Building. Biggest problem is that that damned monkey keeps getting in the way. :cheesy2:

ROFL! Gotta watch those monkeys :laugh2:

It's foolish to drink beer while making candles. That's what Jack Daniels is for.

I'll drink to that! :highfive:

Something tells me that we need to notify "Ripleys"....I feel magic in the air!

I'm picturing this as a flashback scene from one of those 'post apocolyptic movies...

An old lady tells a little girl: "Come sit with me, child, and I'll tell you how our world came to such as it is." "It all started with 3 men and a 200 pound candle..."

Luke,

browse the aquarium websites - there are a couple small chillers on the market that hang on the side of tanks and can cool up to 50 gal with temp control - price range was around $100 if I remember correctly...(it's been a while) Could probably find some larger capacity chillers on e-bay too.

But here's what I did when I needed to cool down my coral tank in the Phoenix heat: IHC (improvised home chiller)

Powerhead hanging inside tank - plastic hose connected to the out-spout going down to 5 gal bucket on floor with a bag of ice....another powerhead in the bucket for return to the tank. You just have to adjust the flow from both powerheads so that they are equal and won't overflow your bucket. I had to keep the ice in the bag so that it did not dilute my salt water but you won't have that concern. A powerhead really isn't necessary in the tank (garbage can in your case) as you can just get a J-tube and use gravity feed into the other bucket. Ice probably won't be necessary in your venture as you wouldn't want the mold to get that cool. But this IHC worked well for me and it a cheap way to experiment.

Hope you can get a visual of this and maybe give you some ideas --- or maybe it will just add more fog to the brain :confused: