custom mold makers

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sorry that some have had problems with them, but I had a smooth pruchase from them. They had a mold that I hunted for for months and could only find in canada until I found it there. I purchased 2 of the molds from them with no time delays or any other problems. It was over a year ago, maybe longer.

Thats fair. I just haven't been too succesful with other mold makers and they seemed to have experience with large molds. But two bad experiences and a missed quote are pretty big strikes against them.
Maybe you should just call them and see what sort of comfort level you get from the conversation.

I did and the girl I talked to sounded really nice (and kind of cute so that helped) and she took down what I wanted and I requested to be called by the person who would physically be making my mold. she said they would call me tomorrow. and they seemed nice...

but I didn't know what the word on the street was.

I'm definently going to talk to the builder first and discuss it...

I'm also open to suggestions for other custom makers...

Pourette is great. I'm from Seattle, really like workin with guys from an area I know etc...

I would recommend them to anyone who asks because I've bought other products there and they were top notch.

Unfortunately, they were just having trouble crafting something the size I needed.

They gave it a valiant effort, but I think its probably they aren't set up to make something this size well.

Also something this large almost needs someone who is a small time custom worker and has the ability to go out and buy a heavier gauge sheet metal. 1/16" tin plated flashing (which is what molds are typically made out of) gets pretty pliable at the verticle heights I require. Doesn't hold its shape well at all.

damn how big is this thing going to be?!?!

I got some 4 sided pyramids with the angled corners 11" tall I think.

He wants to do a candle that's a 1/4 scale model of the Empire State Building. Biggest problem is that that damned monkey keeps getting in the way. :cheesy2:

see I've already got a life sized latex mold of king kong...

1/4 scale?!?!....thats kind of small isn't it? lol.

a five gallon bucket is 10" in diameter at the base and 12" in diameter at the top. additionally, it is only a bit less than a foot and a half tall.

Good idea though. might be cool if you want to make some summer time picnic hurricanes and put a citronella bucket in them though...be kind of a country thing in the shape of a bucket...

I've been working on this for a year. lol. trust me, I've tried everything.

:)

but thats a lot of wax though. before anyone starts copying my ideas they should hear my horror stories...

It does take forever to cool...but I have probably the most elaborate cold water bath system you've ever seen.

and I have a fridge size freezer setup too...

I have a cooling idea for you. Get a long length of 1/4 copper tubing and line your water bath with it. Clamp vinyl tubing to each end. Put a hose fitting on one of the tubes and put the other near a drain. Now you have a heat exchanger. Run the garden hose through (top to bottom) it to continuously cool the bath water.

thats a really good idea top.

currently I have multiple garbage cans and a good sized pond pump.

what I do is pump the mold full of water from one trashcan...when it gets hot I drain it out with the electric pump and then fill the water bath back up with the water from another trashcan etc... I do this from a bunch of different ones. That way I'm not pouring and dumping a bunch of water every couple hours.

Additionally, if I do this, then the water is room temperature...

HOWEVER!

Top the more I think of it...the cooler your idea is...

if I can ever get to the point where I can succesfully make candles without spending all DAY making one half-ashed one I am really gonna pursue this idea....

it might even be worth it to look into like a cooling system like they use for kegs at bars and I could fill the pipe full of water and use an electric pump to continuously circulate it, BUT part of the pipe would pass through the cooling tank so I wouldn't waste water...it would be more of like an air conditioner...

Gona take over 74 pounds of wax for that sucker, and 2 men and a boy to lift it. ;)

ah I have a solution that I'm using for that as well. lol. I haven't revealed all my secrets yet!

but yes, it is extreemly difficult because often I am working with a mold containing in excess of 30-50lbs of hot melted paraffin.

I have a lot of aloe plants.

I had one of my molds come appart on me once...thankfully I was pouring cool for a rustic. There was so much wax everywhere...