Palm Oil Soap?

Guest EMercier

Guest EMercier

OK, just thought I'd ask. I want to do some more soap, but I'm waiting for my oils from the co-op. All I have is 8# of Palm Oil, some Olive oil, a little shea and mango butter, as well as a little bit of sweet almond oil, a tad bit of crisco, and about 4 oz of casor oil. I need to do some research on what I can throw together.

Guest EMercier

I hate to say, but you all life in areas where there may be super walmarts. There are none here and I've never seen oils in that store, but vegetable, canola, and olive. I did see coconut oil, grapseed, and safflower at two different ones, but those are trips I have to make while I'm out. Gas is expensive these days!

If you are in Philly, you have to have some ethnic grocery stores around. You can get coconut oil in any asian market. Lard is at any grocery store, try a big chain store or go to an hispanic market, they will have lard, guaranteed.

If you are in Philly, you have to have some ethnic grocery stores around. You can get coconut oil in any asian market. Lard is at any grocery store, try a big chain store or go to an hispanic market, they will have lard, guaranteed.

Sadly this isn't as true as it used to be. Perhaps the grocery stores are trying to become more heart friendly around here, but now I can mainly only find vegetable shortening and vegetable oils, without meat shortening or lard :mad: The stores we have here in this town are Winn Dixie (a major), Publix (a major), and I luck out with both. Winn Dixie DOES have the lard in small amounts for the lb cubes, although buying the two last time cleaned them out *sigh*

What I'm really looking for is the meat shortening. I used to be able to find the large pails (and smaller ones) of meat shortening I can only really find veggie shortening anymore unless I go to Walmart....and even then there selection here seems to be dwindling :cry2: The super walmart doesn't have the Meat shortening Grand Value blend with tallow I want (that everyone else seems to be able to find - sigh). :mad: And they also dont have the large sizes everyone refers to either that saves money :mad:

Vegetable oil is soy oil (at least the walmart brand is all soy). I have found coconut, safflower, canola, and soy at my local walmart (super, but not very big). We don't have any ethnic markets around here (western PA), so I am looking around for Palm!!

Steph

You can get sunflower as well at the Walmart in Punsxy!

As for Palm, I haven't found it either.. when/IF i do, I'll let ya know!

As for Philly, lemme check with a friend of mine that lives there. She gets all kinds of oils from someplace out there!