Tarts only?

Bekka

This may seem like a silly question so my apologies in advance. But... do any of you stick to selling only tarts (or clamshells)? I've been making them for myself, friends and family for a while and am very pleased with my results. I have NO desire to get into wicking and the rest of candlemaking- (I'll leave that to all you experts! :) ) because I know I don't have the amount of time necessary to truly dedicate myself to a quality product! But.. I'd like to see what I can do with selling the clamshells. Any suggestions on where to start, and or if this is a bad idea? I appreciate any help from y'all.. I've learned so much here already (#1 is that I now know I know NOTHING!!! ) :shocked2:

Thanks again,

Becki

A good friend of mine who lives in my town only sells tarts and she has made a fortune (okay, I exaggerate, but she makes a good deal of money). She and her neice work in our local hospital and so she set up her sample jars on a table somewhere near the nurses station and takes orders for the tarts. The ladies at the hospital can smell the sample jars and then order. Plus, she always keeps a tart burning in a small glass container on a candle-warmer in her office. She sells a ton of tarts and it is hard for her to keep up with orders now. So you can definitely do it if you market properly and make a good product. She found her niche and it works well for her. I say go for it. :)

Hi Bekka,

I have a beauty salon, and I sell tarts and wickless candles in my shop. I agree that I didnt really want to get into wicking and all that. I do pretty good with them, I also sell a starter kit that comes with a warmer, tart tray, and 2 tarts. That did really well during christmas!!

Angie

Thanks so much for the encouragement! That's just what I was thinking of doing... something very similar to what's been suggested here! Now I'll have to find some places willing to carry them! Hopefully soon I'll get a chance to post some pics in the gallery...Thanks again for your advice!

Hi, Becki , i sell tarts only and i'm happy with the amount i sell, simply because i do not want to dedicate my self to a full time business , started out as a hobby and i have kept it as that, still testing candles, but only when i have the time and want to. after christmas i knew for sure i didn't want to make it into a full time business. i had so many orders for baskets and tarts that i was having a hard time getting ready for christmas for my own family, which is very important to me. around here so many didn't know about tarts. you be surprised at how many people asked how they were suppose to burn them LOL! i sell only by word of mouth too. if i test a new fo, i'll let dh take a sample to work or his fire dept bingo place, anyone wants any they write it down for him on a pad and i sent it back the following week. i think if you want to sell candles as a business, you have to really dedicate a lot of time to test, test , test. and that means giving up a lot of hours. i admire all of those on here that does it , some even with jobs. i don't think i would sell a lot of candle in this small area either. not with every walmart, food store and dollars store around having them so cheap. long as my tarts sell, and i have a few dollars in the clear... i'll keep on making them . they are so easy to do.

I do only tarts. Well I do B&B stuff too, but no candles. I'm able to do very well on just the tarts. I too don't want to get into the wicking, testing nightmare that I hear so much about. Testing B&B stuff drives me crazy enough...I don't need to add candles into that mix! LOL

Thanks again everyone... I'll be back to let you know how it goes! One more question.. If I'm making and selling clamshell tarts only to small gift shops and salons locally... do I need a business license/ insurance? I'm clueless when it comes to the business end of things! :shocked2: Thanks!

• 1 year later...
Thanks again everyone... I'll be back to let you know how it goes! One more question.. If I'm making and selling clamshell tarts only to small gift shops and salons locally... do I need a business license/ insurance? I'm clueless when it comes to the business end of things! :shocked2: Thanks!

Hi everyone, I am bumping up Bekka's question; does anyone know if it is required/recommended to have liability ins. if only selling tarts/melts?

Thanks for the help!

Guest EMercier

You know honestly, I've thought about this. I've thought about just going all tarts are getting rid of everything else. Well, I don't know about the votives because they go quick as well. I'm just tired of wicking jars and having to wait for them to get ready. I have a much easier time of doing clamshells it not funny and they are much lighter to carry. I'll have to think about this one. I know that's I've seen some sell only tarts and do well. I hope that it works well for you as well.

i would not do it with out insurance as you can be sued if they knock the burner over and pour it on the carpet etc. you would probably win this case but you would need to hire a lawyer and take time out for court. not worth it let the ins. company fight the battle and it wont go anywhere but if it does you are covered.

my 2 cents

i would not do it with out insurance as you can be sued if they knock the burner over and pour it on the carpet etc. you would probably win this case but you would need to hire a lawyer and take time out for court. not worth it let the ins. company fight the battle and it wont go anywhere but if it does you are covered.

my 2 cents

That would never see the light of day. I would think of no reason you need insurance just selling tarts.

Thanks everyone, I was trying hard to think of a reason why one WOULD need ins. with a product that you don't light with a wick... rpant, I DO see your point, as everyone is sue happy these days, but that would probably be personal neglegence (sp?) as opposed to it being the sellers fault, I am not sure how hot wax gets with say a 25 watt electric burner, or for that matter a tealight warmer, as they DO get pretty hot, but the FP of that was that the oil is combined with helps to raise the actual FP of the oil itself, so it would have to get pretty darn hot to flash, I would think...

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts...

Bekka, I'm glad you asked the question. Can I ask another one related to this subject?

For those of you selling clamshell melts, how many of you dye them? I love a nicely colored candle but keep wondering why bother coloring a clamshell full of wax that's just going to get liquified anyway. It's not like its purpose is visual satisfaction. Yet would it seem odd to offer a dyed candle while its clamshell counterpart is dye-free?

I DO see your point, as everyone is sue happy these days, but that would probably be personal neglegence (sp?) as opposed to it being the sellers fault
You would still require an attorney to defend your product; because like it or not, people do sue (and I'm sure many win) even when the fault is theirs. Your product liability insurance would cover this defense.

FarmerJill, I also make candles, and dye may clamshells to match the color of the candle.

I sell only tarts and clamshells. I've been doing it for 2+ years now and my site is super busy. I'm doing very well and have actually recently quit working outside the home to focus just on the site. Well, I have two sites now that allow me more income but I'm supporting myself and two boys on my income from the candle site.

I also dye all of my stuff. HTHs

Bubblebath is right.

What if they overheated the clamshells in a burner and it ignited, or burst? They'd probably never known they did anything wrong and come after you, which you'd need a defense proving that it was their negligence and not a product defect.

After more consideration, I have decided that it is just NOT worth the risk-Micky D's can get sued-and lose- anyone can, and if someone spilled wax, a warmer malfunctioned, or someone fell asleep while melting one, who knows? This way, I can have peace of mind... AND for my jars as well!

thanks for all your help!