Hateful Runaway Wick Tabs!

OK..need to vent here.

As some of you know, my fundraiser has started so I am getting busy. I poured 50 tins today ( for starters). Out of the 50, I had THREE wicks that just literally fell out of the tab AFTER the wax was poured, and I just barely TOUCHED them to try and straighten the wick!

Now I am not sure what I am doing wrong. ( I HATE when this happens to me when I am pouring into GLASS containers...it is not quite as bad in the tins) I didn't notice a thing wrong with them when I was wicking the tins, but after I poured the wax they just fell/pulled out!

Has this happened to any of you? Any ideas what I am doing wrong? 3 out of 50 is TOO MANY!

I can just see some hateful little man tabbing these wicks and not clamping them tight enough and grinning that evil grin!

I did try last year buying tabs and trying to make my own.....NAWWWWWWW

It was NOT as easy as it looks. I kept bending the tabs. I am sure that many of you do your own, and I know it is more cost effective, but no more than I do, I THOUGHT it would save me some grief....AND time...but NOT if I have to pour it out and clean the tins and start over! I have enough trouble getting the wicks straight...notice the yellow one on the left??

BTW...the wax does not look this "Brainy" in person, but I do think I am going to have to hit them with the heat gun:-(

post-60-139458392773_thumb.jpg

That's exactly what happened. Someone didn't clamp them tight enough. It was gripping due to the wick wax, and when that softened they fell out.

Another gripe of mine is that they often fold the tab 90 degrees for packaging and shipping. The wick wax gets sliced through on one side so they flop over forever after.

For production purposes I plan to scout out the best place to get primed untabbed lengths. There's just nothing better than tabbing it yourself, tedious as it may be. One important thing is to have the right tool. It's a solderless wire terminal crimping tool. It has the thingie on it that puts a nice dimple in the tab neck.

post-710-139458392774_thumb.jpg

Know just how you feel Michael. It starts with P and ends with D and has isse in the middle. :mad: If I pay for tabbed wicks I expect the darn things to stay tabbed. I've had so many come out while I was just gently straightening the wicks that I've started to crimp each one with my needle nose pliers before sticking them in the jar or tin. Looks like I need to add a 'solderless wire terminal crimping tool' to my Must Have List. Just need to figure out where to find such an implement. Got the tabs and some primed wicking but as Martha says 'you have to use the right tool for the job'.

Know just how you feel Michael. It starts with P and ends with D and has isse in the middle. :mad: If I pay for tabbed wicks I expect the darn things to stay tabbed. I've had so many come out while I was just gently straightening the wicks that I've started to crimp each one with my needle nose pliers before sticking them in the jar or tin. Looks like I need to add a 'solderless wire terminal crimping tool' to my Must Have List. Just need to figure out where to find such an implement. Got the tabs and some primed wicking but as Martha says 'you have to use the right tool for the job'.
I suspect your local Home Depot or hardware store could come up with one. I just ordered online.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002T5JDC/qid=1138858070/sr=1-7/ref=sr_1_7/103-9400703-4195819?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=228013

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002RI4RW/qid=1138858108/sr=1-10/ref=sr_1_10/103-9400703-4195819?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=228013

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004SBDI/ref=sr_11_1/103-9400703-4195819?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=228013

This has happened to me, many times! And it's soooooo frustrating. Especially when just one of a double wicked 16oz jar comes out! Nachelle told me it's more common with larger sized wicks, so I tend to recrimp them all and it's a waste of time!!

Yep, used to happen all the time. Now I order rolls of primed wick in the sizes I need from Candles and Supplies and tab my own. Hope they don't start letting that evil little man run the priming machine.

I need one of those handy dandy tools though, using needle nose pliers is a PITA.

That is so annoying!! :mad: Hate when that happens! :mad:

Here is a picture of the monster I use to scare the wick tabs into clamping the wick!! Once they see this...:eek: The the little rascals behave them selves!!

LOL to funny.............. but i can agree that is my main pet peeve!!! :mad: