Curing time or longest case of candlenose?

Hi All...something weird happened today & am hoping someone can answer this silly ?. In August I made up some 4oz slip tins, container wax, no additives, scented love spell. First time I've used that fo. Tested 10 days later 3 different tins to check my wicks & burn. From my notes I could get a great burn but very light hot throw. Wasn't impressed with the throw & kinda left the remaining others on a shelf thinking I'll burn them whenever. Put it down to, maybe not the best f/o and try another supplier. I even have in my notes that my family thought they "sucked" too & trust me they are honest - (ask me what my hubby thinks lily of the valley smells like).

Well, today I hauled one of these puppies out and it's throwing like you wouldn't believe. So I went and grabbed another one & same thing. I thought long curing time wasn't necessary for throw in paraffin? Can candlenose last 6 months? or am I simply scent challenged?

Any thoughts?

Kellyo

That's funny because I use J223 and made a container candle with Strawberry Rhubarb FO. It had minimal cold throw and no hot throw whatsoever. I was pissed, so I set it aside and forgot about it for awhile. Tried burning it again two-three weeks later and now it's got great hot throw. Now I'd expect that from soy, but not J223 since I've always been able to burn them as soon as they've set up completely...so I'm stumped as well. Any one else experince this before with paraffin container waxes?

okay here is a hypothesis...

when you poured your candles...lets say you had 14 of them in a row...

when you removed your testers/samples were they a random selection, or did you remove them from one end of the row?

Is it possibly that you did not stir your wax thoroughly, or you put it in and left it on the stove too long, or another million possibilities and when you poured you removed your three samples from the first ones you poured which would have weak smelling wax at the top and the others would have the stronger wax from the middle or bottom?

hey it was worth a try. Maybe I'm wrong, but darwin was wrong, doesn't mean people don't like his hypothesis. lol

Thank's Christina - it's a mystery to me too. Wondering if it's possible that the fo only "bound" with part of the wax. If that can happen? Even wondered if it was the weather. August can be pretty hot & humid here. If I've got to start making notes of the weather too I guess I'll know I'm completely utterly obsessed with candlemaking!

Ha! My daughter just came in the room to see what the smell was. So I'm not crazy. She loved this oob but was sad when she smelled it in the candle in August.

Thanks for your thoughts

Kellyo

MMM...I was thinking the same thing but I number my containers. Yes, I'm that obsessive when I'm testing (experience from trying to mix a tough vanilla). I usually take the first, last & two at random in between. Then if I'm happy & it burns & throws right I try and duplicate it in 3 more batches from my notes before I'm satisfied that it "really works". Then I still test at least one from each new batch after it's reached the "keeper list". Is that thorough enough or should I be testing longer? But let me make myself clear, I'm not selling. Just could die happy if I could make one perfect candle.

Fern - sorry to hear you've joined my "how the heck did that happen club".

LRC - you've got some good points & I'm going to double check my notes & see if I can find something else that might have led to this. I usually add fo at 180, mix thoroughly, my notes said this was a very lightly coloured fo that mixed well, usually mix for about a minute & let settle for a bit to see if any fo is "floating around". I only 1/2 dye chip salmon so the colour is really pale (I have no idea what colour this fo is supposed to be in a candle). This one has got me puzzled. Thanks for the input. If all else fails I'm going to blame it on the candle gremlins.

kellyo