What do liquid dyes smell like...

I have a local supplier that I like to buy from and I purchased some liquid dyes the other day. they are a reputable supplier but their dyes smell like a cross between liquid moth-balls and motor oil. Is this a normal smell?

I just didn't know if liquid color usually smells like this and if so will this smell be present in the finnished candle product (which I imagine it won't because a little goes a long way with liquid dyes)

or alternately, I could be breathing in liquified carcinogens. not that I am complaining because you know I think cancer is a small price to pay for finding the perfect dye...but still...

Thoughts, comments anyone?

dyes smell like a cross between liquid moth-balls and motor oil. Is this a normal smell?

Unfortunately, YES, this is what most liquid dyes smell like.

Like Top said, death by candlemaking! lol Usually the scent of the dye disappates in the liquid wax, so even my unscented but dyed candles do not carry over that dye scent.

HTH

:)

That's what a lot of people refer to as a fuel smell. Very seldom does it come through in a finished candle. I've never had it happen, but some folks have said they got it trying to get a really dark black.

I get a good black with Peak's dye. no smell, no problem. But OOB it smells a bit like diesel fuel.

I've only tried one liquid candle dye but that's exactly what it smelled like- moth balls and fuel! It came in a plastic bottle and the odor from that bottle seemed to escape. I accidentally left it on the top of the microwave once and the bread that was next to it tasted like that stuff smelled. Not a pretty thing when you weren't expecting it :embarasse I only used it once before trashing it, but the smell of it didn't come through in my product.