Krazy Kandle Experiments (tm) - 130 MP Pillar

I'm tired of hearing straight paraffin referred to as "container wax" and "votive wax" and "pillar wax". Paraffin is just paraffin. It isn't made for anything.

Suppliers will often market certain paraffins for particular purposes. It's true that some melt points lend themselves to particular applications, but the rules are FAR more fuzzy than people make them out to be.

Apart from some utility candles and seven day votives, quality candles are seldom made from straight paraffin. Candles are made from paraffin and additives, which gives you tremendous flexibility in what you can do with a particular kind of paraffin.

The recent question was whether you can make pillars out of 130 MP paraffin. This is actually one of the more versatile waxes. You can use it to make a soft container blend, votives, or great pillars.

Notice there's no bulge and the shell curls in for consumption.

I'd want to adjust for less of a downward-burning tendency and a smaller flame. Simply adding 5-7% FO could fix it (this one is unscented). Or we could try a smaller wick and maybe less UA.

But I think this demonstrates the principle.

post-710-139458392748_thumb.jpg

See, this is good. I've been trying to gather the general principles of candle making science.

You're saying that FO will generally weaken the flame...?

Too much FO would be a cause of the wick drowning out? Just trying to put all this together... Thanks for the pics!

See, this is good. I've been trying to gather the general principles of candle making science.

You're saying that FO will generally weaken the flame...?

Too much FO would be a cause of the wick drowning out? Just trying to put all this together... Thanks for the pics!

I just figure the wax will melt a little more easily with the FO in it and the melt pool will spread out a little wider. That by itself would keep the flame a little more in check because it changes the balance of the burn and the wax level drops a bit slower. Also the shell feeds the melt pool faster.

However, the effect of the FO on the actual burning of the wax can be unpredictable. It depends on the FO. It could speed up the burn or slow it down. Depends on the heaviness of the FO and how easily it burns.

Oh... ok. Thanks. :)

Hey, not knowing you, I just have to say that your pic and posts keep reminding me of the character Jeff Goldblum played in Jurassic Park. The scientist guy. Anyway. I hope you don't mind mentioning that... He was cool! lol

Oh... ok. Thanks. :)

Hey, not knowing you, I just have to say that your pic and posts keep reminding me of the character Jeff Goldblum played in Jurassic Park. The scientist guy. Anyway. I hope you don't mind mentioning that... He was cool! lol

I've gotten that a couple of times, but I get Steve Buscemi far more often. He used to be an NYC fireman so we do have the pyro thing in common.

That pillar looks better then the ones at walmart! I like where your going with these tests! It is very cool..and The pillar looks great to!!!!!

are u gonna try one with scent? I would love to see what it does!

I might make some scented ones. I've been wanting to clear out some wax that I'm not using and this one has been lying around for a while. Now I'm considering making real pillars out of it instead of just a test.

What I think would have been cooler for this experiment is to use the one wax to make a pillar, some votives, and a container candle (all with different additives to tailor the wax). Just didn't feel I could spare the time to do such an elaborate demo.

Top,

to use the 131 for votives..i would not add anything to it..use it like a container wax...but adjust the wic...add ur scent and Maybe a bit of vybar...cool in mold it will pop out...if the wax base is any good it will make the bomb of a votive...just as long as it is burned in a votive holder...for free standing votives u would have to ajust.....

as far as a container candle...again if the base is a good one add scent..and a bit of vybar..pour and test with ummmm I don't know ur wicks..we use zink..I bet with the looks of that pillar u would get a nice jar and some smooth votives...

just my 2 scents!! LOL

Top,

to use the 131 for votives..i would not add anything to it..use it like a container wax...but adjust the wic...add ur scent and Maybe a bit of vybar...cool in mold it will pop out...if the wax base is any good it will make the bomb of a votive...just as long as it is burned in a votive holder...for free standing votives u would have to ajust.....

as far as a container candle...again if the base is a good one add scent..and a bit of vybar..pour and test with ummmm I don't know ur wicks..we use zink..I bet with the looks of that pillar u would get a nice jar and some smooth votives...

just my 2 scents!! LOL

Yeah Vybar would be a good choice for the votives, just to be able to give it a good scent load. Probably 260. I thought it would be fun to make a soft container blend out of it.

It does somewhat the same thing as other additives in terms of increasing hardness, opacity and oil holding capacity and eliminating mottling. The manufacturer says it doesn't increase the melt point much but my impression is that it does so to some extent. It doesn't seem to increase wax viscosity excessively. It works very well as a hardener and and imparts a smooth glossiness while leaving a little more translucency than other hardeners. It seems to contribute more of a downward-burning tendency.

I don't have any information about its chemical composition apart from the terse description from the manufacturer.

http://www.igiwax.com/downloads/tis/4734.pdf

http://www.igiwax.com/downloads/pis/parafflex_4734.pdf

I am really diggin' on the finish of your candle! Do you use polycarbonate or some other kind of mold for that?

Great information too! I enjoy the knowledge you impart.

geek

It came out super smooth and shiny with the help of the UA, no water bath, using a 3 x 3 1/2 tin mold. It's a sort of blended layer. The white top part is a thick shell with cobalt blue in the center and at the bottom.

It has settled into a pretty decent burn.

post-710-139458392806_thumb.jpg