Krazy Kandle Experiments (tm) - Stearic Acid Candle

A recent question was about the possibility of making candles out of 100% stearic acid.

The candles we make out of natural waxes have a very large proportion of stearic acid, including soy wax. Vegetable derived stearic is usually palm wax. The palm wax that's sold for making candles is a specialty blend of palm stearic with other ingredients to adjust hardness, melting point, and surface finish.

So making a candle out of 100% stearic acid, while it doesn't produce an optimal candle, isn't nearly as crazy as it may sound.

thats a pretty slick looking candle...

Top I would be especially appreciative if you keep me informed of how the burn goes, what wick, size candle, etc...

I really like the way that one looks.

What was your mold and wax pour temp?

Is this a natural look for stearic no matter how you pour?

obviously its strong enough for a pillar, possibly for a hurricane as well...hmmm...

So Top, this is plain old stearic with a little color added..nothing else?? It is pretty but then all your candles are...but you already know that;)
100% animal stearic with a some cherry color block. Thanks for the compliment, but I only accept it in behalf of the cow that gave its life for this experiment.

but I happen to have an excess of the stearic derived from melted-down animals so I went with that instead. I call it a crystallizing cow wax candle.

Umm.. you keep dead cows laying around the basement waiting to be melted down?? And just how do you melt down a cow?? :shocked2:

Very pretty, BTW

wait, you don't have a dead cow in your basement satin?

uhhh...

neither...uhh...do I....nope...nuh uh...no cow here...

so uhh...yeah anyway I'm gonna go look for my blowtorch now...just so I...uh... know where it is...yeah...just keepin it handy...

just in case uhh...I get attacked by a..uh...creme broulet...yeah...a creme broulet...

Hey, totally unrelated to the cow in the basement thing, oddly enough I'm having a run on animal based stearic acid if anyone wants a slice... I mean piece...err chunk...dang it.

:D

thats a pretty slick looking candle...

Top I would be especially appreciative if you keep me informed of how the burn goes, what wick, size candle, etc...

I really like the way that one looks.

What was your mold and wax pour temp?

Is this a natural look for stearic no matter how you pour?

obviously its strong enough for a pillar, possibly for a hurricane as well...hmmm...

To tell ya the truth, I don't intend to burn it any further. Guess I could swap out the wick and try some more, but this was just for kicks and education and I have other things to do.

The stearic was poured at 200 degrees or a touch higher into a 2 1/2 x 3 tin mold. Straight stearic crystallizes upon cooling as far as I know. If you like the effect you should visit Candlewic.com and check out their palm waxes. You can maybe make something more practical with one of those specialty blends versus straight stearic.

stearic acid is the same as stearin wax which is what I believe you were referring to cranberry.

additionally most palm wax from what I am coming to understand, is mostly stearic acid. There is the stearic acid/stearin wax derived from animal fat/tallow which top used in his experiments and we add to candles to strengthen etc... also there is a palm stearic acid/stearin wax which is pretty much just palm wax from what I'm gathering.

I had that exact same question myself.

Thank U LRC for explaining that!!! DCroome Ur Not dumb!

I thought That is what Top did..We did this same candle in a votive many years ago...I was wondering if it was the same thing we tried...hehehehe that is to funny! Top, the way your wick drowned out was the same thing that happend to us! The crystals are the Bomb though! Such a pritty texture!

Cool test! I had forgotten that one!