Would anyone be interested in fragrances made specifically for candles?

TallTayl

Thanks for your reply.

Not sure what you mean but I am open minded for anything that will increase the life of my air freshiners. If I cant do that then I am wasting my time.

I do believe it can be don if you talk to the right people but at what cost. if you can help me with this i owe u big time.

thanks

Bless

Shawn

1 hour ago, Back said:

Thanks for your reply.

Not sure what you mean but I am open minded for anything that will increase the life of my air freshiners. If I cant do that then I am wasting my time.

I do believe it can be don if you talk to the right people but at what cost. if you can help me with this i owe u big time.

thanks

Bless

Shawn

A big component of longevity is the quality of ingredients In The  bottle. You could look for fixatives, but I’m not sure what to look for in your product. 

when I began learning about fragrances, I contacted places like Pure Fragrance Oils, Lebermuth, AFI, etc. and spoke with perfumers.  Then I dove into places that teach perfumery.

if you specifically need a dupe like black ice, I’d give AFI a jingle and see what they can offer.  Then compare with other labs that appeal to you.  https://afi-usa.com

AFI is a decent starting place as their mins on common fragrances are pretty low. And they introduced a sampling program recently.  

if you wanted to sniff what I use from my labs, I have on hand:

dragons blood

Egyptian dragon

provence

tonic

pink sugar

I’ll also be offering up sniffies of the new candle scents so people can vote for favorites.  I plan to bring in three to start.

Just saw this tread. Definitely intrigues me. When I first started candle making it seems there were more companies that concentrated on scents for candles. Now it seems more for soap. So it's been a challenge. My customers do not like bakery scents. Or florals. They like earthy scents and it can be a challenge to find ones that throw well in candles. 

• Like 1

I’m slowly getting through testing on round 1 and 2. The hard part is choosing what makes the cut to test. 

criteria so far has been simple, but not totally fair. Will be dialing in better criteria as we all get more familiar with the forum group needs and wishes. 

- no cologne types

this eliminated scents like mahogany teakwood sandalwood. If there’s enough interest in the forum to split a full keg I can revisit that. 

- no powdery types

the version of nag champa sent to us fell into this category. I have other nag champa that does not smell powdery and sells well enough. 

- no fringe scents. 
sugar beet fell into this. I’d like fragrances in the beginning to be relatively widely liked. Sugar beet, while accurate, is not something that most people will love. It will be an amazing blender though so I’m keeping it in my back pocket for now to round out realistic garden blends. 

+ uniqueness 

I’d prefer fragrances we can’t easily find elsewhere. This limits “dupes” of popular retail brands for now. There are always exceptions, of course. I love a great blackberry. Black raspberry vanilla types fill the niche for me. Little/no vanilla, more fresh tart berry. The sample I have is the best I’ve tried. Only need to get it into soy now to complete the fragrance testing process. 

+ must be useful alone or in blends. 
fresh cut stems fits here. It is intriguing alone, but adds that special note to cut florals. 

+ quality, strong out of bottle experience. 
some may bloom stronger in product, but for starting our fragrance forum venture I’d like to focus on those that are strong OOB and only get better in product.

+ seasonally appropriate 

looking for current and next season. Realistically it takes 6-8 weeks to gather interest, order, and receive fragrances. Then it takes you all a few weeks to test and develop products with it. We need to work at least 8 weeks in advance to hit our season. So now, we need to be hitting for August and beyond. 
Blue Hyacinth is amazing, but might be better to look into around December for feb/march 2024 release. 

Sniffing:

how would you like to smell the product to evaluate for what to bring in?

- foil wrapped sniffy blotters?

- in product, like melts, cp soap, tea lights?

- little vials as similar to the old fashioned Avon perfume vials?

- fragrance sets of 1 oz (or more) to put into your own product?

the more complex the sniffy type, the more I will need to think about the fragrances to bring in. I only get a small initial amount from the lab, like an ounce or less typically. This barely covers my initial testing plus a few foil wrapped sniffy blotters.

If we want to experience it in product before committing, I’ll choose based on the fragrances I think I will use and get the minimum 25 lbs sharing whatever is left over as fast buy. We can reorder 25 lbs or more at any time after that. I’d like to not have to store too much in inventory. I can keep a few lbs of each on hand, and prefer to not tie up cash flow storing lbs and lbs. That restricts space and cash from other new fragrances. 

• Like 2

Hey Tal

Yes i would love samples. dragons blood is on my list :))) pink ice i have been thinking about it.

Black ice is my number 1 for research. Around here it is # 1 for air freshiners  I will check out your link.

If you have 1oz samples pm about details.

Bless

Shawn

@TallTayl I swear you reached into my brain to pick your testing criteria, lol. I am on the EXACT same page as you and agree 100% with the pros and cons that you considered for now. 

As far as smelling goes, I'm down for the least expense/trouble to you and everyone else participating. I remember being in one of your co-ops a couple of years ago, and the foil-wrapped blotters were enough for me to get a good idea of whether I liked the fragrance enough/how I could use it to make my decision to purchase. Just within the past month or two, I have gone ALL the way back to the drawing board on my formulas/testing for everything I make, so I think I'll end up using enough of whatever I purchase to make it worth it regardless. 

But, of course - we all have different needs and preferences, so wherever the group lands will work for me. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PhoenixFyre said:

@TallTayl I swear you reached into my brain to pick your testing criteria, lol. I am on the EXACT same page as you and agree 100% with the pros and cons that you considered for now. 

As far as smelling goes, I'm down for the least expense/trouble to you and everyone else participating. I remember being in one of your co-ops a couple of years ago, and the foil-wrapped blotters were enough for me to get a good idea of whether I liked the fragrance enough/how I could use it to make my decision to purchase. Just within the past month or two, I have gone ALL the way back to the drawing board on my formulas/testing for everything I make, so I think I'll end up using enough of whatever I purchase to make it worth it regardless. 

But, of course - we all have different needs and preferences, so wherever the group lands will work for me. 

Funny you mention going all the way back to the blank drawing board.  Same here.  I’ve been holding on to so many old fragrances to maybe use or dupe one day.  Crazy how much space it takes physically and in my brain.  Too much clutter.

I decided (after painfully debating with myself) to look AHEAD not backward.  Why be the next rendition of  scentworks/whatever when I can be authentically fresh and new with this forum group? 

foil sniffies are easy enough.  Mindless and tedious but easy. 
postage for them will likely be a few $ with all the usps increases.  Oh well…….. 

if you pm your current ship to address I’ll assemble a set for you. 

SAME OFFER FOR ALL FORUM MEMBERS INTERESTED IN PARTICIPATING IN A FUTURE CO-op: pm your address and I can ship a sniffie set of those you are interested in smelling.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Daisymay66 said:

@TallTayl Do you still have your tonic fragrance oil? I think I read you had some of that available to sell? I’d be interested in a pound if that’s possible?

I do!

and pink sugar, black vetyver cafe, provence, summer fling and a few others. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Your criteria is spot on for me TT.  I would like to try 1 oz (or 2)  for testing.  If you had a "set" of all the available scents we end up with, that would be great.  But what ever way you decide to go...count me in!

I got some sniffies!! 🎉 

I received:

1. pinion pine- this smells like Christmas to me for some reason. It’s beautiful. 

2. black raspberry vanilla- I agree with TallTayls analysis of this. Smells tart like real blackberry

3. strawberry rhubarb jam- this smells awesome to me and not like fake strawberry. smells very jam

Personally, if I had to pick these are my top 3 I think. The rest are close behind though. They’re all good! 

I also received:

4. blue hyacinth-agree this will be amazing in spring

5.strawberry jam 1- I really like this one too but prefer the other jam if I had to pick 

6.down to earth

7.strawberry vine

8. fresh cut stems- agree I think this would be a great mixer

9. This does have a sweet mint to it. I like it but this one is my least favorite I think

i am Not good at describing scents but can’t wait to hear what everyone thinks. 

• Like 1

Sniffie blotters take forever to make and sort to ship out.  Not complaining, just setting expectations for why this s taking so long.  The # of fragrances x the # of requests = several sessions  of hours so far.  Smells good though…

if anyone has ideas for how to speed up making sniffy samples I’m all ears! I love creative new ideas.  Right now I cut watercolor paper into small rectangles sized to fit heavy aluminum foil rectangles that make the most of the roll size. Then dropper fragrance on to each blotter paper, fold, sticker and sort.  My foil folding job gets messier the more I do. Many apologies for the crooked foil and labels folks.

• Like 2

I found some tiny mylar heat seal bags that might be worth a try.  Amazon can have them to me by Sunday. 

Wow I wish I had thought of this sooner. I have a few  teensy ones in my packaging collection and they look SO much nicer. Faster so far too. I won't re-do the first set... sorry for the recipients of the prototype round. 

• Like 1

Thank you for doing all of the work!!

my only ideas to hopefully make that faster for you would be 1. Maybe grid out the paper quickly then do drops of a whole scent, then cut? May be just slightly less tedious. It’s easier sometimes to cut that stuff with an exacto knife and a metal ruler than scissors 2. Enlist family including child labor if necessary :)  Glad the Mylar is easier! 

really appreciate you taking the time to do this! So excited to hear everyone’s opinions. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brotato said:

Thank you for doing all of the work!!

my only ideas to hopefully make that faster for you would be 1. Maybe grid out the paper quickly then do drops of a whole scent, then cut? May be just slightly less tedious. It’s easier sometimes to cut that stuff with an exacto knife and a metal ruler than scissors 2. Enlist family including child labor if necessary :)  Glad the Mylar is easier! 

really appreciate you taking the time to do this! So excited to hear everyone’s opinions. 

I use one of the paper crafting roller blade tools to cut both the paper and the foil.  At least everything starts out the same size, but devolves into chaos as I can’t fold.

93CE381E-3035-49EB-8375-D4E52F3D9EC3.jpeg

the little heat seal packets seem to be working out.  I had a few sizes on hand and all are working.  I don’t dread the job as much now. Hoping the new ones coming tomorrow work as well. At least they will be pretty. 😂

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Sniffie blotters take forever to make and sort to ship out.  Not complaining, just setting expectations for why this s taking so long.  The # of fragrances x the # of requests = several sessions  of hours so far.  Smells good though…

if anyone has ideas for how to speed up making sniffy samples I’m all ears! I love creative new ideas.  Right now I cut watercolor paper into small rectangles sized to fit heavy aluminum foil rectangles that make the most of the roll size. Then dropper fragrance on to each blotter paper, fold, sticker and sort.  My foil folding job gets messier the more I do. Many apologies for the crooked foil and labels folks.

Please DO NOT worry about any of us!  We are so appreciative and however long it takes is how long it takes!  I consider this a “long haul” process — and thank you so much for what you are doing for us!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TallTayl said:

I use one of the paper crafting roller blade tools to cut both the paper and the foil.  At least everything starts out the same size, but devolves into chaos as I can’t fold.

93CE381E-3035-49EB-8375-D4E52F3D9EC3.jpeg

the little heat seal packets seem to be working out.  I had a few sizes on hand and all are working.  I don’t dread the job as much now. Hoping the new ones coming tomorrow work as well. At least they will be pretty. 😂

Ah all of those are great ideas! I hope the new packs are EASY more than anything. I’m sorry it’s such a pain and thank you again. And I agree this is no rush at all whatsoever!

• Like 1

Sniffie evolution. 
F6F8A7F5-94DB-41B8-B28B-49D51BD158BE.jpeg

the new packets will be colored versions of the white one. I was trying out what I have on hand first.  

the silver can be cut in half, and get 2 out of them. The packets do a much better job of isolating the fragrances. 

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hello! I'm Back's daughter. We have a question, would heat sealing with proper bags for this air freshener project or would vacuum sealing make it have a longer shelf life? The image I added below is a picture of what our product currently looks like. All advice would be appreciated! 

IMG_20230604_123703.jpg