Would anyone be interested in fragrances made specifically for candles?

TallTayl

made quick 100 gram testers of the top 4 last week.  
coco83:sp487 70:30

premier 740 wick

9oz glass jar, standard type. Straight sides. 
8% FO load

Black Raspberry Vanilla

Strawberry jam 1

strawberry jam 2

Pinion pine

I lit the black raspberry vanilla in coconut/palm wax last night.  

fragrance notes: I don’t smell vanilla in this one, just the tart black berries. Perfect! This is my all time favorite scent profile for fruit. It will blend well with other notes meaning the options are wide open for varietals. I’m aiming for a blackberry jam eventually. 

ct was nice and tart. Clean.  10/10

ht was quick and clean. 9/10. Could likely use a wick up as I went really conservative with premier 740. The scent wafts through my open living room, dining room and through kitchen.  Not overpowering (I can’t taste it in the air) but definitely pleasant and inviting.  

BRV is on of my favorite fragrances in bath products. I’ve  never been able to smell it in any candle wax while burning before.  This candle is a treat. It’s always a  popular scent in other products, so excited that I can now possibly offer it in a candle I can be proud to sell. 

will need to test in soy next.  The lab only scent 1oz, so I’m being as thrifty as I can with it. 

awaiting IFRA.  I was told that some of these samples may be B&B safe and worth testing out. Woooooohoooo!

• Like 4

This sounds like an amazing idea. I'm still a bit far away from ordering the 25 lb fragrance oil sizes, but it's good to know this opportunity could exist for me in the future. I look forward to following this thread and seeing how things develop.
I like the natural scents as well. My shop theme is "Inspired by nature" so I look at a lot of scents that reflect nature. I do still implement some popular fragrances that aren't necessarily nature-themed. The bakery fragrances work amazingly well in my soy wax and I want to add some neat scents in the future like Chardonnay, Library and, of course, Fire Roasted Marshmallow (my favorite for years!)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AudraT said:

This sounds like an amazing idea. I'm still a bit far away from ordering the 25 lb fragrance oil sizes, but it's good to know this opportunity could exist for me in the future. I look forward to following this thread and seeing how things develop.
I like the natural scents as well. My shop theme is "Inspired by nature" so I look at a lot of scents that reflect nature. I do still implement some popular fragrances that aren't necessarily nature-themed. The bakery fragrances work amazingly well in my soy wax and I want to add some neat scents in the future like Chardonnay, Library and, of course, Fire Roasted Marshmallow (my favorite for years!)

For this type of project, we would likely co-op the buy. Meaning, I buy the 25 lb (or more) kegs and bottle it for members who want to split with me. I’ve held several fragrance co-ops for this forum and others in the past spreading hundreds of pounds of fragrance joy to the world. I don’t want to be a retailer, but co-ops make my world go round.

• Like 1

Tempted to do a happy dance, but don’t want to jinx myself. Black raspberry vanilla is B&B safe… Im going to make a soap sample to see if it smells as good in soap as it does in the tester candle. And if it smells better than Crafters Choice version.  Cross your fingers!!!

• Like 1

On 5/10/2023 at 2:40 PM, TallTayl said:

Tempted to do a happy dance, but don’t want to jinx myself. Black raspberry vanilla is B&B safe… Im going to make a soap sample to see if it smells as good in soap as it does in the tester candle. And if it smells better than Crafters Choice version.  Cross your fingers!!!

ooh, sounds like I need this one  :)

round 2 is on the way.  Some sound really interesting!

TANGERINE GINGER 

MANDARIN + MYRRH 

DOWN TO EARTH

RAINBOW MOSS 

SUGAR BEETS 

SANTAL AMBER 

SUN-RIPENED BLACKBERRY 

CLEMENTINE CORIANDER 

STRAWBERRY VINE 

PURPLE CARROT & SAGE

STRAWBERRY RHUBARB JAM 

ARTICHOKE & KALE 

GARDEN HERBS 

FRESH CUT STEMS 

BLUE HYACINTH

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1

I'm seriously feeling giddy over here...the names alone are exciting and I'm so hopeful that these will work brilliantly in wax...(and if they work lovely in soap as well, well I just might have to erect a shrine to TallTayl in my hobby room). 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, PhoenixFyre said:

I'm seriously feeling giddy over here...the names alone are exciting and I'm so hopeful that these will work brilliantly in wax...(and if they work lovely in soap as well, well I just might have to erect a shrine to TallTayl in my hobby room). 😉

I am crossing fingers and toes we find some shining stars to share. 

1 hour ago, Brotato said:

How exciting! I second the soap comment. Do you know if they are soap safe to try? Or formulated specifically/only for candles? 

Many of them are bath and body safe to reasonable levels.  This rep is good about sending IFRA. The black raspberry vanilla, for instance, is soap safe up to 42%. 
E4ECE724-5344-489B-AC03-1581381D7FEB.jpeg
IFRA categories described: 

https://cosmeticobs.com/en/articles/cosmetics-glossary-5/ifra-969

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, The Candle Nook said:

Ooohh @TallTayl please count me in!  I have been MIA for 2 months while BF and Aunt have battled cancer (cancer sucks) and have missed my candle time. Think I can start breathing again and come back to my regular life. (Super interested in any myrrh or frankincense! Always on that hunt!)

I’m so sorry for what you’ve been going through. It’s great to see you again. 😊

you and I have very similar preferences. I’m on the same hunt. 

• Like 1

Hi All

It was in the Fall when I was last on :( I think I finally found out why I cant make a good smelling candle. The area i live has the 3rd worse air pollution in the US. And we are in the top 10% on the pollen count. SOO not many people around here do not have a normal rang of smell.

When we got the mac apple we spillled some of the oil. Long story short the rag got thrown in the back seat of my truck. for us the idea was born. Car air freshiners.

Now im looking for the strong sents and have been thinking about labs to make stronger oil so this post has me very intrested in what you find out.

thanks for starting this thread it made my dat

You rock Tal

Bless

Shawn

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Back said:

Hi All

It was in the Fall when I was last on :( I think I finally found out why I cant make a good smelling candle. The area i live has the 3rd worse air pollution in the US. And we are in the top 10% on the pollen count. SOO not many people around here do not have a normal rang of smell.

When we got the mac apple we spillled some of the oil. Long story short the rag got thrown in the back seat of my truck. for us the idea was born. Car air freshiners.

Now im looking for the strong sents and have been thinking about labs to make stronger oil so this post has me very intrested in what you find out.

thanks for starting this thread it made my dat

You rock Tal

Bless

Shawn

You're a pioneer!  That air pollution comment makes SO much sense. It's not unlike a smoker's sense of smell diminishing, is it?

Have you ever tried car clips? SO many styles that clip right on to the vents.

I found just the back clip part and plan to offer ceramic versions that can be changed out or refreshed easily. I'm big on no waste. Your solution is even easier. Love it!

The second set just arrived.  the perfumers at that lab are stars.  Some of these are so realistic they smell better than the real thing. 

Many in this set blend well to create interesting combos. Fresh cut stems with blue hyacinth smells like I just hit the spring flower garden with sharp shears. The cut stems fragrance with some other florals I have, like rose, will be made much more interesting with fresh cut stems enhancements. I’d love to make florist inspired fragrance bouquets!

Strawberry vine with down to earth is like walking the strawberry fields in July. No berries, just the crushed/cut plant material.

Tangerine and ginger surprised me in a good way.  The fresh cut ginger is nice and soft like the fresh root. It is unlike the dried versions many ginger fragrances have.  It would be nice with an effervescent note like a fresh ginger ale. 

I could not imagine sugar beet until I smelled it.  I garden, and have a farmette with animals that eat sugar beets.  This bottle has the beet and dirt notes  like standing over a pail of beet pulp. It will appeal to a select group of people, but will also add that earthy note to other blends.  I can see a horse inspired line with a bit of molasses added to that one. 

I’m still in a summer berry mood right now.  The sun ripened BlackBerry is sweet and luscious.  It is the perfect complement to the black raspberry vanilla’s tartness.  I love them both for different reasons.  To me this one is a blackberry jam. 

For mouth watering sensations, though, the strawberry rhubarb jam is perfection.  It took me two or three slow deep sniffs to appreciate the way the notes reveal themselves.  I’m SO excited to put this one into wax.  

I need to pace myself and test each of these thoroughly to get a better appreciation. I didn’t name them all here, and will revisit now that I’ve sorted them into different batches to work with.  Some are more subtle and were overpowered by the more prominent blends. 

awaiting IFRA on this collection. Some might be b&b safe at normal levels.

my short list to test in round 1:

1) Strawberry Rhubarb Jam. If this throws In my waxes I will be in heaven. 
2) garden herbs. This is a little minty. Not a sharp peppermint or spearmint, but definitely sweet mint. Blending idea: Garden herbs with strawberry vine smells really interesting.

3) sun ripened BlackBerry. It smells like blackberry jam 

4) down to earth. Smells like soft petrichor. A little sugar beet in it would smell like garden petrichor.

5) tangerine ginger. I’ve never had a successful ginger candle. They either wick weird (die out) or don’t throw at all. 
maybe 6) clementine coriander.  It’s growing on me.  A light citrus. Not quite tang, but not quite orange. 

holding blue hyacinth for spring I think. It is STRONG and hyper realistic. Seems like this one used at 5-6% would blow you away.

• Like 4

Hey Tal

Thanks for the reply. I have 2 questions. Can a lab make them smells stronger and can they make them last longer? My gut tells me yes for a price. there is probally min order that i cant afford :( I would be willing to pay double or triple for an ounce of that kind of oil.

I love your idea about a rechargeable air freshener but if I can make one that lasts a month the is better than anything on the market for the price.:)

We just figured out how to make photographic labels on our product. that opens a huge window for custom work

Deed you input please

Bless

Shawn

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Back said:

Hey Tal

Thanks for the reply. I have 2 questions. Can a lab make them smells stronger and can they make them last longer? My gut tells me yes for a price. there is probally min order that i cant afford :( I would be willing to pay double or triple for an ounce of that kind of oil.

I love your idea about a rechargeable air freshener but if I can make one that lasts a month the is better than anything on the market for the price.:)

We just figured out how to make photographic labels on our product. that opens a huge window for custom work

Deed you input please

Bless

Shawn

A lab can make any concentration you choose. You are correct, for a price.  typically the minimum is 25 lbs of each fragrance.  Some labs, like AFI, will make smaller sizes, I just don’t  have personal experience with them. 

Most common retail fragrance smells flat and diluted to me. Some smell strong, but not good. Incense, cologne and floral types will often be more potent smelling than most other classes.

what places have you tried so far?

what types of fragrances do you like?

From round 1, the strawberry jam 1 in cp turned beige.  As it cures further has a bit of a pink hue. How appropriate! And it is soft, but can definitely smell it. The usage rate was only 4.48%, but it was enough to scent this well.

strawberry jam 2 is all but gone in CP. beige color and just soap. 6.4% max usage rate. I used 5%.

Pinion Wood has a 4.88% usage rate in Cat 9 (soap).  It’s growing on me.  Beige discoloration, but acceptable.

black raspberry vanilla is all tart berry.  Very slight discoloration to the beige. High max limit at 42%. I used 5%.  I’m very happy with this one in coconut/palm wax and CP so far.  Need to get it into soy to complete the tests.  I’m at a small dribble in the sample so taking it easy so I can make sniffies too. 

from round 2 I’ve only had time to get strawberry rhubarb jam and down to earth onto coco/palm wax. Both have bloomed quite a bit in wax so far.  Can’t wait to light them! 

• Like 3

Hey Tal

For me at this point I deed the oils to last longer. The one I am most intrested in is black ice for air freshiners. In a car it lasts about 1 week. can a lab make it last longer. If so how long? I would be willing to pay double the normal price for that maybe more.

Bless

Shawn

2 hours ago, Back said:

Hey Tal

For me at this point I deed the oils to last longer. The one I am most intrested in is black ice for air freshiners. In a car it lasts about 1 week. can a lab make it last longer. If so how long? I would be willing to pay double the normal price for that maybe more.

Bless

Shawn

That’s not one I’m familiar with…. If you’re willing to branch out a little I have several in my collection that might give you an idea of how other sources can work.