Would anyone be interested in fragrances made specifically for candles?

TallTayl

I had a lovely chat with my fragrance rep today. We pondered the future of my fragrance library, which til this point, was aimed at fragrances that work for both soap and candles.  

as you all know, not all fragrances made for both bath products and candles perform well in both.  We face the struggle every day with retail fragrances.  They can be “ok”, but not the fantastic performers we hope for. Fragrances designed for excellent performance in soap use different solvents than those made for excellent burn and throw in candles.  Adding more of a soap fragrance to a candle doesn’t usually improve the burn or throw of the candle. The struggle is real. 

I requested a range of fragrances designed specifically for candles to test out for the forum.  Some “may” be ok to use in bath products, but these will be formulated specifically for candles/melts/sprays. 

if this venture pans out as planned, I’d like to share a rotation of seasonally selected candle fragrances made just for us with other forum members.  We will need to work and think a couple of months ahead to test and decide what to co-op together. 

what do you think?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

I see it as we have nothing to lose by testing their sample sets. At least this lab i understands our candle goals and isn’t trying to shoehorn a soap fragrance into a candle.  We will be able to order in “our” preferred concentrations and will have fixed codes owned by the forum. 

our rep understands the chemistry differences between soy, paraffin, beeswax, coconut, etc.. she also understands how we need CT to sell, and our candles need to SMELL and burn cleanly. How refreshing!

We should expect two separate sample sets some time this week.  She plans to send a collection of some unique blends they made for Earth Day, and some I asked for in the citrus, fruit and resin category.  I’ve been yearning for some awesome Myrrh and a strawberry that throws and does not smell like smoothie, milk shake or wet cardboard.  For the soapers (myself included) we will also get a couple intended for soap, that may work ok in candles too.  We shall see.  Once they’re here I can send sniffies out if they smell ok.  

min order is the usual 25 lbs, so we’ll start with something that appeals to our group and move onward and upward from there. 

Wouldn’t it be grand if we on the forum were our own private candle fragrance  club? We need a new forum name that lives up to our awesomeness. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, Lizzy said:

Count me in! I'm done with my personal "issues" so I can focus on candlemaking 100% once again. Hahahaha. Plus I just lost two of my main suppliers so I'm definitely looking for new ones. 

Glad you have the time and desire to continue. We are all in this together. I think we can circle our wagons and make great things in this group. 

4 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Glad you have the time and desire to continue. We are all in this together. I think we can circle our wagons and make great things in this group. 

Oh I could never stop. Hopelessly addicted for almost 20 years now. I tried quitting. LOL...didn't work out. So I embraced my addiction. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Lizzy said:

Oh I could never stop. Hopelessly addicted for almost 20 years now. I tried quitting. LOL...didn't work out. So I embraced my addiction. 

I tried quitting once.  It was the longest weekend of my life.  😂

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

I tried quitting once.  It was the longest weekend of my life.  😂

that's about how long my "quitting" lasted! Even this past year having to deal with personal stuffs, I couldn't stay away....testing new wax kept me sane this time around. Never thought that would actually be the case :laugh2:

• Haha 1

I’m still pretty green to making things but I’d be interested as well. I do not have a business… yet.. but I already have experienced the FO conundrum for both soap and candles. Would love some more reliability and stability especially if/when I start selling. Sounds like a great idea to me! 

• Like 1

The rep is sending some commonly available dupes along with a few original blends for us to sample. I personally am no interested in BBW and similar dupes, but if there is interest we can certainly explore them. My opinion, and it’s only my opinion, is that I like unique fragrances that my customers can’t get elsewhere. 

It will take some time for the rep and us to learn one another so we can dial in things just for us. 

my personal interest right now is geared toward summer.  I’m in the farmers market type of groove right now.

fruit preserves, herbal blends, floral, and of course resins and incense.  

BTW, I brought in a few of my dupes recently and have extras to share. Pink Sugar, Provence, Vetyver, Dragons Blood and Tonic each have several lbs available. 

• Like 3

I can only echo your statements, @TallTayl - I've been a hobbyist chandler and soaper for a few years now (some of you longer-time members might even remember when I posted pics of the first melt I ever made...good grief, I remember how excited I was when I could smell the HT throughout the room!), and I remember feeling like it was more often you would find fragrance oil winners rather than duds. The last couple of years or so, though, it feels the opposite is true. Couple that with the cost of everything now, and I've had to have the argument with myself of whether this is a hobby I can continue with and pursue into a possible business or need to just let go and focus on other interests. 

Problem is - I LOVE LOVE LOVE these forms of art and each time I've thrown up my hands and screamed, "I'm done!"...I always end up crawling meekly back asking the artistic universe to forgive me. 🤣

If this helps give the members with businesses a leg up or even just makes the hobby more enjoyable for those like me who have felt unsuccessful of late, I am down 1000%.

My preference is same as yours, @TallTayl - I'm all about unique fragrances. If the preference of the group is more toward the dupes, though, no worries at all and I'm still happy to be part of it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PhoenixFyre said:

I can only echo your statements, @TallTayl - I've been a hobbyist chandler and soaper for a few years now (some of you longer-time members might even remember when I posted pics of the first melt I ever made...good grief, I remember how excited I was when I could smell the HT throughout the room!), and I remember feeling like it was more often you would find fragrance oil winners rather than duds. The last couple of years or so, though, it feels the opposite is true. Couple that with the cost of everything now, and I've had to have the argument with myself of whether this is a hobby I can continue with and pursue into a possible business or need to just let go and focus on other interests. 

Problem is - I LOVE LOVE LOVE these forms of art and each time I've thrown up my hands and screamed, "I'm done!"...I always end up crawling meekly back asking the artistic universe to forgive me. 🤣

If this helps give the members with businesses a leg up or even just makes the hobby more enjoyable for those like me who have felt unsuccessful of late, I am down 1000%.

My preference is same as yours, @TallTayl - I'm all about unique fragrances. If the preference of the group is more toward the dupes, though, no worries at all and I'm still happy to be part of it.

I’m so happy to read your story. A rising tide raises all boats. We could all use a hand to remain afloat. 

it will be exciting to see what we end up with for a mix of fragrances. 🎉🥳. Our only limit is us. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DamifinoEac said:

Sounds great to me!

I am still a greenhorn, but I enjoy blending to create uniqueness. With that said, I believe this would be a great opportunity. I'm following. 

Yay! 
I really hope this lab comes through with candle scents that are at least as good as what I have become used to with soap. 

14 hours ago, TallTayl said:

The rep is sending some commonly available dupes along with a few original blends for us to sample. I personally am no interested in BBW and similar dupes, but if there is interest we can certainly explore them. My opinion, and it’s only my opinion, is that I like unique fragrances that my customers can’t get elsewhere. 

It will take some time for the rep and us to learn one another so we can dial in things just for us. 

my personal interest right now is geared toward summer.  I’m in the farmers market type of groove right now.

fruit preserves, herbal blends, floral, and of course resins and incense.  

BTW, I brought in a few of my dupes recently and have extras to share. Pink Sugar, Provence, Vetyver, Dragons Blood and Tonic each have several lbs available. 

8 hours ago, PhoenixFyre said:

I agree with you two about unique to me/us scents and something new. I’m in spring/summer mode as well! I have a fancy for rose and rose blend scented everything for some reason at the moment. If I get a decent HT on anything you’ll hear about it 😂 it’s been a slow process. Some stability would be amazing. What a lovely thought! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lizzy said:

I, too enjoy unique scents & blends. I am more of a Fall, woodsy, spice, resin and bakery/foodie type. 

I love me some fall scents too. My husband and I are a big fan of bakery ones also. They can make me hungry though 😋

• Like 1

I am seeing a resin trend developing.  I’m open to co-ops of special order kegs of winners from places like WSP too.  I’m planning to special order Oakmoss & Myrrh and possibly Black Raspberry Vanilla on the next sale.  25 lbs bulk only offers 5% discounts, but the final cost per lb is usually about half of retail, so it’s worth it to me. 

Oakmoss & Myrrh is all myrrh to my senses.  It blends with EVERYTHING I have paired it with.  I need to get with the program and complete candle wax testing before I get too far ahead of myself, though.  it is super in soap, the oil warmer and in the Lampe Berger so far. 

BRV is the best I’ve found retail for CP soap.  It’s good in melts too, but I struggle with HT on anything BlackBerry.

I need to force myself to be patient with our labs to see if they have something comparable or better for just candles. 

incidentally, we have access to loads of unique flavors too.  I resisted the urge to ask about the min order on them so I didn’t disappoint myself too much. I crave an apple cider lip balm flavor from their list 😍

• 2 weeks later...

The first set is on the way. The second is not yet ready. 

I’m looking forward to learning what they decided to send their collections include popular hotel/spa, BBW and similar dupes, and original blends. 

• Like 2

Here’s a list of what is in the mail now ( if I read the email correctly).

- sandalwood mahogany teakwood (I hope this isn’t cologne 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻)

- black raspberry vanilla

- pinion wood

- cedarwood amber

- nag champa 

- frankincense & myrrh

- strawberry jam 1

- strawberry jam 2

• Like 1

Oh happy day! A lovely package just arrived. It was nice to have a scent break from yard work and house projects in preparation for graduation house guests and party.

My First impression Our of Bottle (OOB) thoughts:
1) Black raspberry vanilla.  Super exciting.  It’s tart and sharp. I am crossing fingers and toes that it works well in my waxes as it will make lots of people VERY happy. 

2) strawberry Jam #1.  Warm and sweet. Super excited about this one too.  Should blend well with tart rhubarb in a blend! 

3) strawberry jam 2. A little less sweet than #1. Not quite as strong? If I didn’t smell the #1 I would not have any thoughts other than it is a nice sweet strawberry jam. 

4) Pinion Wood. If this one throws well I think we can finally dry tears from missing Rocky Mountain Christmas from elements bath an body.  I will love this in a candle during the winter season! (Please throw. Please throw!)

5) cedarwood amber.  I get a strong hit of dial soap in this one.  Not bad, just not sure what I expected.  Looking for cedar wood without adds that would hit plain wood notes strongly in candles. Cedar is one we never can get to throw well no matter what variety we have tried from Every varietal EO to all the fo. They are usually all weak OOB, and don’t burn well to boot. 

6) mahogany teakwood.  It hits like cologne.  I think it’s the BBW dupe? It smells like it should throw well.  My People tend to love true wood essences, like standing in a wood shop.  

7) frankincense & myrrh.  It’s soft. Lovely.  I’m used to the frankincense carterii that is a bit sharp. I’ll test it but would prefer something closer to the essential oil and resins.

8.  Nag Champa.  I pick up a LOT of baby powder in it.  i soap a version of nag champa that is really popular that contains more floral notes.  

I’m going to make a few candles and melties with the fruits now.  I just can’t wait!!!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Oh happy day! A lovely package just arrived. It was nice to have a scent break from yard work and house projects in preparation for graduation house guests and party.

My First impression Our of Bottle (OOB) thoughts:
1) Black raspberry vanilla.  Super exciting.  It’s tart and sharp. I am crossing fingers and toes that it works well in my waxes as it will make lots of people VERY happy. 

2) strawberry Jam #1.  Warm and sweet. Super excited about this one too.  Should blend well with tart rhubarb in a blend! 

3) strawberry jam 2. A little less sweet than #1. Not quite as strong? If I didn’t smell the #1 I would not have any thoughts other than it is a nice sweet strawberry jam. 

4) Pinion Wood. If this one throws well I think we can finally dry tears from missing Rocky Mountain Christmas from elements bath an body.  I will love this in a candle during the winter season! (Please throw. Please throw!)

5) cedarwood amber.  I get a strong hit of dial soap in this one.  Not bad, just not sure what I expected.  Looking for cedar wood without adds that would hit plain wood notes strongly in candles. Cedar is one we never can get to throw well no matter what variety we have tried from Every varietal EO to all the fo. They are usually all weak OOB, and don’t burn well to boot. 

6) mahogany teakwood.  It hits like cologne.  I think it’s the BBW dupe? It smells like it should throw well.  My People tend to love true wood essences, like standing in a wood shop.  

7) frankincense & myrrh.  It’s soft. Lovely.  I’m used to the frankincense carterii that is a bit sharp. I’ll test it but would prefer something closer to the essential oil and resins.

8.  Nag Champa.  I pick up a LOT of baby powder in it.  i soap a version of nag champa that is really popular that contains more floral notes.  

I’m going to make a few candles and melties with the fruits now.  I just can’t wait!!!

How exciting! These sound great.  
Can’t wait to hear how they turn out!