Update on my progress (new b&b line)

JustJackie

Well- I guess when I decide to do something- I do it! LOL

I have ordered samples from 4 places. Lots of different types just to get an idea of what everything is, feels like, etc. I am sad though- I really wanted to sample the KY line... but they only sell samples of 2 out of the 5 things I want to try! And the shipping would be insane for the 2 items that they do have!!! I put an ISO post on the board so maybe I will get lucky.

I have two friends who are going to help me test and give me their thughts- AND they are chipping in a few dollars. Yippeee! That will help to cover the cost of all these samples.

Currently still trying to make a final decision on jars. I need to do a little bit more reading on this still.

New research for today is to figure out lables! YIKES! A lot of stuff has to go on these and I don't know anything about how to lable a bottle that may get wet.

So overall- I am busy but loving it! I wanted to say thank you to everyone who has given me advice and help so far. I don't think my husband REALLY realizes just what new project I am getting us into now! LOL

just my crappy 2 cents.

Pick 3 or so things to work on for awhile.. get them down pat.. don't overwhelm yourself with trying out everything all at once. Don't stress of packaging and labelling yet... work on your product. The you can work on the look and possible theme you might like and go from there.. there are SOOO many products and SOOO many scents, its so easy to get carried away and do a lot of wasteful spending. After you get 3 or so GREAT things.. you can start adding to you a line a bit at a time... and prefecting the little things here and there... its so much fun, but its still a lot of work.

Yes, I am completly baffled that you are looking at packaging ideas and labeling, and such when you haven't even tried a product. You must TEST products even though they are from a base still.

There is alot more to this buisness then buying a base, adding color, adding scent, plopping it into a container, smacking a label on and going to the darn craft fair. This is alot of the reason why so many peeps are having a hard time finding insurance for b/b and candles. Too many people think it is a get rich fast thing, and they don't realize the tried and true, and spent so much money on products, and most of us are still waiting to see the up side of it, Besides enjoying it!

If you plan on making a buisness out of this, then research is more than just asking a few questions and getting others opinions on whose bases to try. You need to try them for yourself. And if you can't afford samples then what are you doing? You shouldn't be sampling so many things at one time then!

Ok, I am stepping off of my soap box :embarasse Please pm with all the hate mail. I don't mean to sound like a witch (well, maybe) but I can't get over the fact that new ones are coming on here all the time, and by golly, they are almost ready to sell and they haven't did anything! If you are not gonna be like this, then I apologize, and if you are.....then I guess I didn't assume wrong, did I?

ETA: Since we replied at the same time. It seems that you are wanting to test. May I ask what other products you have in the line that you will be adding too?

just my crappy 2 cents.

Pick 3 or so things to work on for awhile.. get them down pat.. don't overwhelm yourself with trying out everything all at once. Don't stress of packaging and labelling yet... work on your product. The you can work on the look and possible theme you might like and go from there.. there are SOOO many products and SOOO many scents, its so easy to get carried away and do a lot of wasteful spending. After you get 3 or so GREAT things.. you can start adding to you a line a bit at a time... and prefecting the little things here and there... its so much fun, but its still a lot of work.

Good advice! I have been ordering samples of the different types of lotion, bubble bath, gel, etc. to see what I like and from which supplier. I got some fizzies- but that will be the LAST thing that I try to make! LOL So- it looks like I am getting a lot of stuff- but it is a lot of the same stuff... only from different suppliers. Does that make sense?

I already make and sell tarts- so I have my scents already.... way too many scents! The hard part for me will be deciding what scent I want to test in. LOL

question about packaging- I was just going to order a few sample jars for me to use for my testers and to see which jars I [personally like. But if you don't think I should worry about that yet- what can I store my testing batches in?

You .02cents are not crappy- and I really appreciate ANYTHING you can pass along!

I'm not saying you haven't but....just be sure that your FO's that you use for your tarts are body and bath safe....especially body safe if you are using them in items that stay on the skin (such as the lotions or anything else you might end up making that stays on the body).

Like I said, not that I think you haven't but...sometimes others (who are just getting started) will read about using the same FO for candlemaking and not realize that you need bath/body safe FO's for bath/body items.

Ahhhhhhh...maybe I'm in the minority, but go for it, girl! As long as you're not selling anything, and you're having a ball ordering and testing a playing, I say package away! For me, that was always so much of the fun (and still is!) - coming up with a fun label, checking out new packaging ideas...I spend just as much time getting the packaging right as I do the products!

Like I said, as long as you aren't just plopping crap into a bottle and charging for it, go to town.

**Opinions expressed here are not representative of the rest of CandleTech, and perhaps not even representative of my actual opinion, depending on the mood I'm in when I'm typing.**

**Opinions expressed here are not representative of the rest of CandleTech, and perhaps not even representative of my actual opinion, depending on the mood I'm in when I'm typing.**

LOL...cute!!:)

I have to say that..for me anyways...designing labels is part of my "fun". It's always everchanging.:)

Not quite sure what went wrong in my post- but YIKES!

Ummmm... no intention of selling without testing. I completly understand that this is the backbone of any product that is a quality product. I understand that and practice it. I took it for granted that you would know that I KNOW testing is essential. As for my other line- I sell tarts. While I am not making TONS of money off it- I have a steady internet base of customers. B&B is something that I have wanted to branch off into for a while now- after posting on here, reading about it and having such nice reponses from others on here- I decided to try it.

I am excited and was trying to learn more. Yeah- I am not to the point where I need to purchase lables.. but that doesn't mean that I shouldn't be looking at what needs to go on them. I already explained why I was looking at packaging.

As for sampling so many things at one time- here is my thinking. I had to pay the shipping fees already- so I got about 4 different samples (different products) from 4 different suppliers. Instead of only ordering one at a time, I was trying to save on the shipping fees. Maybe I am missing a better way of testing samples- I would love to hear a way that would be more beneficial for me. And- yeah- I can afford the samples. I have every intention of testing myself and then going to a friend for her opinion.

I hope that I have better explained myself and don't get any more flames. Like I said, I am up for ALL suggestions. Sorry for upsetting anyone who thought I was going to throw something together and sell it. I just wanted to share that I was excited to actually taking my first steps towards something that I have been wanting to do for a while now. Wow- I had no idea that my happy post would turn out to be all of this! :)

I'm not saying you haven't but....just be sure that your FO's that you use for your tarts are body and bath safe....especially body safe if you are using them in items that stay on the skin (such as the lotions or anything else you might end up making that stays on the body).

Like I said, not that I think you haven't but...sometimes others (who are just getting started) will read about using the same FO for candlemaking and not realize that you need bath/body safe FO's for bath/body items.

Thanks! I actually did already know that. In fact- that is what gave me the final push to start b&b. Once I realized that most of my oils are safe I figured- why not! I really like that Becky (JS)started putting that pink heart on her oil lables that are bath and body safe. I am going to have to do a lot of looking at my oils and listing which ones are safe and which ones are not. Blah- I am putting that off. More fun things out there to do first!

(Please read- that does not mean that I am not going to do it! I am going to make sure which oils I can use. sorry- had to say it after some of the other posts so far,)

Meh, unfortunately, I think you got caught out on a day where people are already a little touchy about too many people slapping crap in jars and selling it, be it candles or B&B. If you notice the craziness on the general candle board, I think CTers are just a little wary of over-enthusastic newbies trying to sell untested items.

At my playgroup this morning, the kids were all (six total, all under 3) NUTS, just touchy and cranky and fussy. You would have thought it was a full moon, or they were all sick or something...maybe it's an epidemic that everyone's feeling, and we all just need to take a nap like Henry's about to do!

I hope you continue to have fun testing and playing, and just try not to take this all personally.

I see that you do have some sense :yay: I know I can be a real beach, and I know that it isn't always a good thing. My posts tend to sound more harsh than what I actually mean, but I am a blunt person.

As long as you do realize that alot of things need to be considered before selling, then go for it. Yes, the packaging and labeling can be fun (but a hell of a headache too) and that all needs to be considered for your *future line*

In the past (and I shouldn't of judged you this way) many peeps come on, and don't realize the difference between the oils as sad suggested. They also ask about a base, then the next thing you know, they have everything done, and are selling at shows, and on the internet :shocked2: This happens with the candles and the b/b line both. To me, the safety side of it is too important to stress. Alot of people think this is a get rich scheme, and as many of us have realized, it isn't. For most of us, it is the love of actually making the products that keep us going, not the money. We are all hoping that it will come with time.

After re reading my earlier post, I realized that on top of sounding like a royal bitch (even though I am) I sounded very discouraging. That was not my intention at all. My whole point was to have fun, and buy till your heart is content, but I don't agree with it if you are planning on selling any time soon. That is where I must of misunderstood :embarasse

Meh, unfortunately, I think you got caught out on a day where people are already a little touchy about too many people slapping crap in jars and selling it, be it candles or B&B. If you notice the craziness on the general candle board, I think CTers are just a little wary of over-enthusastic newbies trying to sell untested items.

At my playgroup this morning, the kids were all (six total, all under 3) NUTS, just touchy and cranky and fussy. You would have thought it was a full moon, or they were all sick or something...maybe it's an epidemic that everyone's feeling, and we all just need to take a nap like Henry's about to do!

I hope you continue to have fun testing and playing, and just try not to take this all personally.

Oh thanks! I got this excited when I started to make tarts too. In fact, there are probably some of my original posts in the candle making section that show my "trend to get excited"

Yeah- I will try not to take it personally. I understand why someone might have thought that I was a newbie just playing around. Just part of my personallity to get hyper and share things with others. I was so pleased to get so much encouragement here that i wanted to post. It isn't often that you find people in the same buisness sharing and supporting each other!

yeah- not going to lie- it was a bit harsh LOL

I just realized something- I joined this group last year but lost my password. So, I created a new name- so while my join date may look like a newbie... I really am not.

My actual timeline is this-

continue to beg my husband to work on my new website. the one that I have now works- but reflects that it was a "sell to friends" kind of site. Now that things are picking up- I want a more professional look.

Purchase electric tart burners to add to the tealight ones that I ahve and start selling those.

During this time- I am going to be testing the B&B products. Starting with the bubble bath. since I love taking baths- this will be easy for me. LOL

Anyhow- now you know a little bit more about me!

I should have added in my original post that right now I am reading up on how to steralize everything. This might have lended me some credibility LOL

Well, you go for it girl!! I was so excited when I started my bath and body line too. Still excited because there's always new things to try. Then not long at after that I started soaping. Love it!!

I have a candle line I make and a bath and body line, but my favorite thing to do is making CP soap!! Ya never know for sure how it's gonna turn out!!

Keep having fun because it is FUN!! Expecially when you can share your creations with others.:yay:

Yep, we can all sometimes be a bit harsh when we hear things like what you stated orginally. A lot of the time it just comes across as people are going to do what Heather was talking about, and that just irks those of us that have been studying, testing and learning for a looooooong time (I STILL consider myself a newbie after a year here ;) ).

Case in point, I bought this cream/lotion base, have been using it for months, but as a LOTION in a bottle with a disc cap, and then recently started using/making it as a cream in a jar, and just yesterday noticed that funky mold on the top of one. :eek:

You can't just say, "oh I like this base" and then test it with your body safe FO's and then send it off to someone. You must use it yourself, hold on to it for a while to make sure it holds up, doesn't mold, separate, or whatever. KWIM?? ;)

There is soooo much to factor in, and SOME people (not saying YOU) come here looking for that "GET RICH" hobby/craft/art, and they end up selling crap and making the rest of us look bad. :(

I think you should be looking at packaging, just to get a feel for what's available. Buy a variety of the ones you like, so that you can "test" those also. Some may look good, but don't perform the way they should with certain products. etc.

As for labels, knock yourself out working with those, they take a LOT of time, effort etc. to get them right, so you're good to start now. I personally am soooo frustrated with making labels, that even if I was ready to sell my stuff I wouldn't be able to, since I don't have very good professional looking labels yet. I've gone round and round with several programs, almost tossed my computer out the window a few times, have bald patches on my head, from trying to get these things just right. LOL

Anyway, I didn't want you to be discouraged at all, I love your enthusiasm (sp?) and I hope you stay that way. It helps us (well at least ME) get enthusiastic also. :D

So, rock on with your bad self, try out all those samples, pick a few you'd like to work with and test test test, but most of all HAVE FUN!!!

Yes, that's why I put "not that I thought you hadn't" but there are sooo many lurkers that come read off the board to just "look-see", take something and run withit and not do the research...that's why I wanted to point out about the FO's and didn't want you to think it was an attack on you personally.:)

Yes, that's why I put "not that I thought you hadn't" but there are sooo many lurkers that come read off the board to just "look-see", take something and run withit and not do the research...that's why I wanted to point out about the FO's and didn't want you to think it was an attack on you personally.:)

I know what you meant! :) I understood your meaning and didn't think anything of it! :)

**Opinions expressed here are not representative of the rest of CandleTech, and perhaps not even representative of my actual opinion, depending on the mood I'm in when I'm typing.** __________________

:laugh2: :laugh2: Sorry, can't help myself! Still LMAO!