Bad Experiences?

Ok, we all know to test, test, test what you make before you even think about giving it away. I myself am still in this process, but I was wondering if anyone had any personal experience examples to share. There have been some threads here that go into testing because you can burn someone's house down, burn their cat up, have exploding candles, etc. Has anyone ever sold a candle that did this or ever had to take advantage of their liability insurance?

I've never had a bad experience with own my candles, but other candles that I have purchased I have had problems with. The biggest problem has been the jar exploding because it got too hot. I worked really hard to make sure that my candles burn properly to ensure the utmost safety and quality.

I guess no one has had any customers buy and exploding candle. How about strange things happening while you test. I know Top has to have a few, since he likes fire and stuff. Maybe people who think they don't need to test their products will get an idea of WHY they need to test before they sell if they have some examples.;)

I put saltpeter in a candle once...yeah it kind of went pop at the end, but it was nothing spectacular.

Paraffin being an alkane, non polar substance won't really dissolve anything and the saltpeter sunk to the bottom of themelt pool and eventually when the fire got all the way to the bottom is was concentrated enough to make it smoke and flash a little...but it was intentional and a dissapointment.

Does this one count?

This is probably more under the Krazy Kande tests domain.

I put saltpeter in a candle once...yeah it kind of went pop at the end, but it was nothing spectacular.

Paraffin being an alkane, non polar substance won't really dissolve anything and the saltpeter sunk to the bottom of themelt pool and eventually when the fire got all the way to the bottom is was concentrated enough to make it smoke and flash a little...but it was intentional and a dissapointment.

Does this one count?

This is probably more under the Krazy Kande tests domain.

Cool. Rock on dude.

I hear that saltpeter has a reputation for diminishing the male sex drive when ingested, better be careful with that stuff.;)

Kelley: If you consider that playing with matches makes little boys wet the bed...I was screwed from the outset of my hobby.

Saltpeter is the least of my concerns. Wetting the bed can inadvertantly dimminsh your sex drive as well as in no one will sleep with you. lol...well unless you are one of those people that...oh never mind.

lol, Top I've decimated more matter in more ways than I dunno what. we should start trading story for story sometime and see who wins. we might come out close to even.

now the governments probably gonna start watching this page...

:P

I actually sold a 4 oz tin and the customer called my co owner ( friends with her ) and she said the bottom exploded .. Havent gotten the full story yet, but I am pretty sure she was a customer who decided to do a marathon burn and dry the bottom out of no wax.. I burn 4oz tins all the time and never had this happen.

Also- same family- her sister said a 12 oz mason jar exploded.. Again, I burn them all the time and so do other customers.. Never heard of this with my jars.. Thinking they are not burning properly or looking for freebies when they are done..

Still waiting from co owner for the whole story

Christina

I'm not calling anyone a liar. I am just expressing interest in the logistics of a tin containers bursting. I mean, I know the heat can get very intense. A candle flame burns at an average 2500 degrees give or take, but metal usually warps and then subsequently melts. It would have to be under very intense heat transfer for the metal to bend enough and put enough pressure on it for the bottom to twist and "burst/explode"

and I wonder what was in cactus' candle that caused the entire thing to set fire...maybe too much FO?

My sister-in-law told me one of my candles "blew up" in her face. Well, after I nearly had a heart attack, apologized profusely numerous times, and prayed (a lot!!!), I got the "real" story from her.

She is legally blind--wears VERY thick glasses--and was getting ready to go to work without her glasses on (which I can't understand at all--my vision supposedly isn't nearly as bad as hers and I can't even get out of bed without my glasses).

Anyway, she bent over to blow out a candle and the wax "blew up" into her face. After much questioning, it turned out that she bent down right over the candle, blew hard, and blew the wax up onto her face--not at all what I was thinking when she told me a candle blew up in her face!!!

Jane

I work in the factory of a midsized candle manufacturer, and one day we got a call from a very nice man who said that one of our container candles had shattered while being burnt. The guy that handles such things was asking him a couple questions over the phone and when he asked if they'd been trimming the wick regularly while burning there was sort of an embarassed silence... the man told our guy that um... well... just perhaps the wick had gotten too long because they were in bed at the time and some of the wax had been poured out of the container and this wasn't the first time it had happened to them, and no not just with our candles. Our guy told me this (and yes, he's rather naive) and I burst out laughing. I ended up having to explain that there are people in the world that enjoy dripping wax onto each other's bodies as a turn on. Boy was his face red, and I think mine must've been also just from realizing how much I had shocked the poor guy. We did send the nice man a free candle, and our guy gave him a nice lecture about how maybe they should consider keeping something to trim down the wick by the bed.

LOL Molly..

Wax and Beds go together great. Tell them to use tarts instead on an electric burner.. That way there are no wicks involved LMAO !!!

Ok- I probably shouldn't have just said that, but I did!!! :-)

Christina

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!:cheesy2: