Sterilizing equipment?

KMommy

How do you sterilize the equipment you use for your products? Do you sterlize all of your lotion bottles, jars, utencils used such as funnels ... Do you use bleach or something else? I am a little concerned that the bleach might leave an odor in plastics?

Hey there, the bottles and jars I don't sterilize, I just keep them closed up as they come. I don't use any plastics to make any of my products. I use only stainless. I fill a big stainless steel bowl with a bleach solution, clean my area that I am working on with a bleach solution and let it dry. I let everything air dry, wear gloves and hair net.

Basically the same as Cindy. I use a sterilizing product that DH uses for his brewing for all my pots and utensils, I keep everything soaking in it til I need it, wash the counter down with a weak bleach solution. Always wear gloves.

Bottles/jars should come from the vendor clean. If you're nervous about it, you can swish them with some alcohol. I'll do that at times, but I don't wash them because I don't want to introduce water into them that might not dry out.

This is the FDAs Good Manufacturing Processes for Cosmetics

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/cos-hdb2.html

Now, many home crafters can't get close to a lot of this (I believe Florida though requires it's cosmetic sellers to be inspected), but it's good to read - can give you ideas.