Mix Pot Cleaning

OK, I made my first test batch. I wanted to make another test batch of a different scent and realized I only had one Mix Pot. Since the wax was still warm and sticking to the inside of the pot I got to thinking I may just need to keep a mix pot per candle scent/dye combination, or figure out a way to clean them. So, how do you clean them? Mine is a fairly simple aluminum mix pot that I got from Michael's. I am using J225 wax.

You could

Put the pour pot back in the double boiler until the remaining wax melts then clean with lots of paper towels.

Use your heat gun to melt the remaining wax then clean with lots of paper towels.

Set pot upside down on paper towels on a cookie sheet. Set in oven set on low. Let wax melt and clean with lots of paper towels.

After cleaning with paper towels I wipe with an unscented baby wipe.

The key is having lots of paper towels on hand. I now buy the 8 packs.

The easy way to keep your pots clean is to have alot of them. ;)

For just changing scents- blast them with a heatgun and wipe them out first with a paper towel and then with a baby wipe or orange glo wipe.

I let mine get all trashed. Then I get one of my Prestos and put about 2-3 inches of water in it and turn it on 200 or so. Then I put each pot in the Presto upside down, put the glass lid on it and do my own form of auto claving. Take the hot pot out with a pot holder and wipe clean with a paper towel and they come out like new. I have had the same 12 pots for a long time and they look fab. Even dissolves all the dye and sediment.

Would using mason jars work? I mean, use the one big melting pot for the type wax you're burning, then pour out enough to mix a scent/ color combo for whatever size then another jar for another scent /color combo...and so on. That way, you could still do several (pillars/votives/containers) off one pot. Does that sound reasonable to anybody? Thought I may give it a try.

I do what most everyone else does, heat gun then wipe out with PT. I would add, though, make sure you are wearing scroungy clothing or an apron, and use an oven mitt to hold the pot against you to wipe it out. Holding the handle and wiping out the hot pot can eventually weaken where the handle is riveted to the pot and then break off. Ask me how I know :embarasse

geek

Would using mason jars work? I mean, use the one big melting pot for the type wax you're burning, then pour out enough to mix a scent/ color combo for whatever size then another jar for another scent /color combo...and so on. That way, you could still do several (pillars/votives/containers) off one pot. Does that sound reasonable to anybody? Thought I may give it a try.

Some folks use Pyrex measuring cups. Like Sharyl said, coffee cans work.

I'd stay away from usiong Mason jars for this. They *may* get weak, over time from the heating and cooling. You'd put more stress on them in a week of candle making, than in 10 years of canning.

The coffee cans are hard to clean, due to the seams, but if you keep several and either keep one for each color/scent combo, or just treat them as being disposable, you don't have to worry about cleaning them.

The glass measuring cups are great, but a bit heavy and using them in a dbl boiler set up causes condensation all over the outside, so you have to be careful when using them so that you don't get water in your wax.

I found that just having 4 pour pots worked best for me. I've rarely needed all four at once. A lot of it depends on how you work.

I always *tried* to pour my lightest colors/ mildest scents, first, then progress to the next lightest color and next mildest scent. Save the dark red candle with the lavender scent ( or whatever) for last.

On the rare occasion that I could line everything up just right, I'd only need to give the pour pots a really GOOD cleaning, when I start the process over.

Sometimes I can't quite get the scent out of one with a normal cleaninig. I'll put in a few ounces of plain wax and use that to rinse it out.