Had some problems

Tess

I made my 3rd batch of soap last night. I was out of RBO, so I used sweet almond instead. I think this made a good sub because usually when I clean my mess up, there are few bubbles (lather), but last night there was a bubble factory lol. I also ran just short of lye. The recipe called for like 6 oz, and I only had like 4 and a half. So I went for it. Doesn't seem to have a made a big difference as I can tell. I used JS Pearberry, and it looked like it seized on me, so I poured it into the mold, and then it seperated. So I just mixed it in the mold itself for about 5 min, and it was fine. I was going for a light green color, but somehow ended up with purple. That freaked me out. Does anyone know why? The soap itself was turning red before I even put color into it. Almost 24 hours later, it is pretty well set, and is a nice purple, too bad I wasn't able to practice my swirls. Ill post pictures as soon as I inmold that baby. Oh I also forgot how much FO to use so I dunked in about 2.1 oz. That stuff was strong!!

Well it sounds like the SAO worked well as your sub. oil. :) Lots of bubblies is good!

As for your green turning purple, hey it is pearBERRY, so you're still good to go with that color ya got. LOL

I wish we knew which dyes colors etc. changed with the lye soap, so you could anticipate it.

I can't wait to see it I bet it's purdy!

Oh and how big was your batch? Using 2.1oz for a 3lb. batch wouldn't be sooo bad, but if it was only 1lb. I would say LOOK OUT. LOL

Ok Tess.. You have succeded in making soapmakers all over the world cringe!

1 and a half ounces short on lye! What are we going to do with you!

And the green/purple.. Some colorants just aren't meant for CP... Sounds like this is one of them, unless you want purple next time! ;)

LOL!! It was a 3# batch. I honestly thought I had enough lye, until I started pouring it, and by then it was too late. So what will happen to it?

I cut the soap last night, and DH said, "It doesn't look very green to me" HAr HAr. :rolleyes2

The soap is pretty oily and wet on the unexposed sides. The top is nice and dry, so it may take a little longer than usual for this bugger to dry.

I am quite intrigued on using it, if you think it will be safe enough with the lye mishap. Ill get a pic in later today, gonna let it dry a bit more. TIA

Yes, this batch will be safe to use. Now, if were two ounces over, then I'l have to ride down there and beat you with my cucumber.

Not having your recipe, I can't tell you how superfatted it is, but it's probably going to be a super soft bar, and will go rancid sooner. It might leak oils....

Next time this happens, I would recommend rescaling your recipe down to the amount of lye you have..

You really have to let us know how this turns out... :)

Yeah, it might stink some now.. But what I'm talking about rancid.. The actual oils will go bad. Like for instance your corn cooking oil. Take it out of the jug, put it in a bowl in the bathroom. It's going to take a little time, but it's gonna go bad.. Especially with the heat and humidity in the bathroom. Your soap is more than likely going to do the same thing...