display case

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like I'm a little late to the party too. This is better than the thread when people were talking about stuff they "knew how to fix, but it has not happened to them." :)

Last year, after mrs geek wanted to give candles to her coworkers as a going away gifts when she quit her job, I was encouraged to sell candles to them. I was not really ready, but thought I had done enough testing to offer ten scents in six different jars. Even though I had not tested them all, I though that six weeks was enough time to finish testing ones that I had not done yet.

I was admonished by some CTers on the business thread that I may have bitten off more than I could chew. I started getting that sickening feeling in my stomach, you know the one you get when you know they are right? Well, fortunately for me I got only thirteen candle orders, and successfully tested and delivered them in four weeks. HOWEVER, I was up late every night testing and re-testing and probably used more wax in testing than I sold. Also did a fundraiser order for a friend, but limited to four jars and ten scents I had already tested.

It would be fun to jump in and give this thread starter a hard time, but everybody else here has done such a fine job ;)

geek

Looks like I'm a little late to the party too. This is better than the thread when people were talking about stuff they "knew how to fix, but it has not happened to them." :)

Last year, after mrs geek wanted to give candles to her coworkers as a going away gifts when she quit her job, I was encouraged to sell candles to them. I was not really ready, but thought I had done enough testing to offer ten scents in six different jars. Even though I had not tested them all, I though that six weeks was enough time to finish testing ones that I had not done yet.

I was admonished by some CTers on the business thread that I may have bitten off more than I could chew. I started getting that sickening feeling in my stomach, you know the one you get when you know they are right? Well, fortunately for me I got only thirteen candle orders, and successfully tested and delivered them in four weeks. HOWEVER, I was up late every night testing and re-testing and probably used more wax in testing than I sold. Also did a fundraiser order for a friend, but limited to four jars and ten scents I had already tested.

It would be fun to jump in and give this thread starter a hard time, but everybody else here has done such a fine job ;)

geek

I remember that post geek ;) I "might" have posted in it.... lol

I have noticed lately, in more than one area on our board, there has been some "upheaval" lately.....and it has appeared to be maneuvered and fueled by just a couple of people with very few posts. I have never been one to pay much attention to post count, but I did notice this. It is not the first time it has happened. I am NOT saying that this thread is one of them necessarily, however it did trigger my thoughts about this.

Call me suspicious, paranoid, cautious or savvy, but I think we are being PLAYED by one or more people having a good time. ( as petty as something of that nature would be)

Seems to me that some people just like to "stir it up" ( with a big stick without getting any on them) and we might be taking the bait....not that it matters...we always get the last laugh.:P

Let me know if you guys think I should ask for meds the next time I take candles to my doctor's office:rolleyes2

I have noticed lately, in more than one area on our board, there has been some "upheaval" lately.....and it has appeared to be maneuvered and fueled by just a couple of people with very few posts. I have never been one to pay much attention to post count, but I did notice this. It is not the first time it has happened. I am NOT saying that this thread is one of them necessarily, however it did trigger my thoughts about this.

Call me suspicious, paranoid, cautious or savvy, but I think we are being PLAYED by one or more people having a good time. ( as petty as something of that nature would be)

Seems to me that some people just like to "stir it up" ( with a big stick without getting any on them) and we might be taking the bait....not that it matters...we always get the last laugh.:P

Let me know if you guys think I should ask for meds the next time I take candles to my doctor's office:rolleyes2

LOL I think they need midol.. the regulars here are to smart for trolls :highfive:

Geez I haven't had this much fun since the Jefferson's went off the air. I"m bummed that I missed the fun. Sara you need to close the cellar door we're attracting all kinds of ... hmmm can I say sewer rats? is that degrading? :shocked2: :bump: *getdown*

lol...you are too much. :laugh2:

You should have seen the look I got when I suggested to the last doc that came through our station that he write a script for an Ativan Salt block - for the nurses

Made sense to me - Put it up in the center of the Nurse's station and we could just kinda take a lick as we went by - would never have to even slow down . . .

(edited cuz I can't spell)

You should have seen the look I got when I suggested to the last doc that came through our station that he write a script for an Ativan Salt block - for the nurses

Made sense to me - Put it up in the center of the Nurse's station and we could just kinda take a lick as we went by - would never have to even slow down . . .

(edited cuz I can't spell)

lol...I love that idea!:yay:

:cool2:

Oye! I remember her and her "mum" that helped her. LOL

LOL! Cutey Patootie! Ah I remember her!

And yeah, this thread is a hoot!

Trish, have you tried getting ahold of Benchmark Insurance? I joined the Ohio Arts and Craft Guild to get the special price on insurance but then learned they wouldn't cover Wholesale accounts. But it might be worth going to their site and emailing them to see if they know of anyone in CAL who does insurance in home base candle businesses.

Google benchmark Insurance or Ohio Arts and Craft Guild and maybe Benchmark can help you!:cool2:

I think it's more of a "they pissed me off in that thread, so I'm gonna make a snide remark in this one" type thing, rather than deliberate trolling. We've always had a lot of that. Especially when someone's been caught at something and called on it.

Most places on the net, these people would get flamed until the either got a clue, or left the board. Around here we tend to try being a bit nicer with them.

• 1 year later...

Really late coming into this thread - searched insurance - was curious how the Title of display case and insurance were connected - started reading and couldn't stop. Eeekk - this thing took so many twists and turns.

I am shopping insurance. I work as a claims adjuster - definitely want to be protected if/when I decide to start selling. I was even a bit concerned about giving candles to friends/family to test and as gifts - I handle auto claims and know very little about homeowners/product liability coverage/claims.

Several folks at work, who I had given candles to try, loved them and said they wanted me to make some for them to buy. I checked my HO insurance - and I'd have to check the wording again but I think as long as I didn't make more than $2000, it would provide liability coverage (Don't quote me though, cause I haven't looked in months).

I considered it, then two incidences occurred which made me gun shy.

1st - I had given a friend a small candle to test burn for me - things going good - she liked the smell - the way it burned - yada yada yada - then one day she tells me that she walks in her bedroom and my candle is smoking like crazy! And she starts freaking out and tells her boyfriend that she has to let me know what happened. He then tells her that it was his fault. 1st the wax is about 1/2 inch (she burns hers all the way to the bottom regardless of the warning). But when he was lighting it, he couldn't reach the wick with his lighter, so he twirled up some paper, lights it, then stuffs the rest of the paper into the container! None of my other candles have done this, thank goodness, so I'm pretty sure it was the paper in the candle and not my candle per se.:undecided

2nd - I had given another friend a different candle to test. I always point out the warning label, suggest they trim wick, avoid marathon burns, stop burning when less than 1/2 inch, etc. This gal's boyfriend told me that one of my candle containers broke while they were burning the candle. I'm like freaking inside - what happened? She was a bit embarrassed :o to tell me, and even said she wasn't going to tell me and wish he hadn't brought it up. So - apparently she heeded none of the warnings. She had burned this candle "all day", didn't trim the wick, let the wax burn down almost to nothing. This was a small container (4 or 5 oz). She said the wick had bent over and the flame was up against the glass, and she guessed the heat caused the glass to pop. It didn't catch anything on fire, and she was in the room when it happened - at least she heeded one warning!

Needless to say, I would just feel way more comfortable with insurance.

I love candle making though, and I hope I can sell one day, when I'm all grown up.

So - are there any TN chandlers out there who has insurance? I found one agent but their minimum quote was so high, I want to shop around. :wink2: