display case

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sorry if i upset anyone for my post. I just thought a little encourgment would be nice. So many post have helped me in my process of testing and making of my product. I appreciate everyones help. I truley do.

You didn't upset anyone, as far as I know. :)

You posted your opinion and your heart was in the right place. I just didn't agree with your conclusions. :)

I can tell you I went thru the same thing, came here as a newbie- after a few candles made from a candle kit, I was like wow, ready to sell. but these guys made me realize how important testing really is, REALLY IMPORTANT! I found out the wick I was using was crap and testing different wicks, and wax to find out which works - REALLY is worth it bc now I believe my candle is so much better than it was 6 months ago and if I would have sold what I made 6 months ago, I would be out of business and such an embarrassment to my family and friends!! I would hold off that party.. I haven't even had a party yet! I do have a catalog that I include only the scents that I have tested.. yes sounds expensive but I am enjoying the testing bc this is what started in the first place, I love candles! I love always having a candle burn. I have a candle burning right now that is burning terribly, the jar is half black! and if I would have sold that 1, that just makes me look stupid! so, I write down on my notes, "do not use this wick, it sucks" lol Just a FYI!

Hi there,

I was just wondering why it was such a big deal this lady wants to have a home show. If she feels she has a good product isn't that the way to get your candles out there???? I say go for your home show. I have been making candles for about 9 months now and I feel I have an excellent candle. I sell my candles already and have had a home show plus more to come.

The comment just sounded a little cut throat to me.

Just wanted to send some encouragment, go for your show!! That is the only way you can get feed back from your clients.

I KNOW CANDLEMAKING IS A CONTINUAL TESTING AND LEARNING PROCESS. NOW I AM FREAKED OUT ABOUT SELLING MY CANDLES. I THOUGHT I TESTED LONG ENOUGH. I JUST STARTED PUTTING MINE OUT THERE THIS MONTH. MAYBE I WILL HOLD OFF NOW. EVERYONE HAVE A GOOD NIGHT, I AM GOING TO BED!!

PS THAT WAS MY QUOTED POSTED I WAS APPOLIGIZING FOR.

Don't sell candles unless you have tested for 365 days straight and with only four 15 minutes naps during that whole time.....NOW THAT'S A GOOD CONCLUSION!!!

4 ?

Wimp!! We didn't HAVE naps, in my day. Had to walk to the hobby store to get wax... 5 miles through 3 feet of snow... uphill, both ways...

People are still buying candles right? Look at it like this. If someone is smoking and that turns around a causes a fire because the cigarette was still lit, does that stop people from smoking? No, they think it won't happen to them. Also, when Ford had the whole tire incident, did people stop buying Ford's? No. My whole point is not to just pick sides or anything, but just to point out a simple fact. When you have a good product regardless of what others may do, you sell. It's up to the customers to know better. As far as the lying issue, karma is a $#%^&! Then again, how do I know that some on here aren't lying about stuff? We are all adults and trust one another. I've had someone who has been on here and had lots of posts lie to me. DO I not trust anyone else? No. I just eat it and keep going because not all people are like that.

I don't disagree with anyone, just pointing out a few things. They'll sue her and never buy a candle from her again. A true candle buyer will try something different if they were satisfied with their last purchase. :)

That is of course if they live to sue her or buy another candle, right? I went back and checked her posts at the start of this thread too. This one is dated 12/22

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11328

She is going to try to make containers and hasnt even decided on the wax. So a little over a month and its downpat and safe enough to sell? Color me stupid, because I sure didnt have it all together enough to test and be confident enough to sell. I could never live with myself if I sold a candle that I wasnt confident enough to say it had been tested thoroughly and ended up in disaster. Could you honestly live with yourself if someone including a child was killed or disfigured? I couldnt. This is why theres less than desireable candles out there and why its so darn expensive for candlemakers to find and afford insurance.

Im sorry, I dont mean to upset anyone, but please you really need to think hard on this.

I KNOW CANDLEMAKING IS A CONTINUAL TESTING AND LEARNING PROCESS. NOW I AM FREAKED OUT ABOUT SELLING MY CANDLES. I THOUGHT I TESTED LONG ENOUGH. I JUST STARTED PUTTING MINE OUT THERE THIS MONTH. MAYBE I WILL HOLD OFF NOW. EVERYONE HAVE A GOOD NIGHT, I AM GOING TO BED!!

PS THAT WAS MY QUOTED POSTED I WAS APPOLIGIZING FOR.

I knew what you were refering to. :)

And, again, I don't think anyone was upset with you. Sorry if it came out that way.

If you,ve tested all your sizes/shapes, with all the scents that you're selling, you should do fine. How long it actually takes to do that, depends on you. Maybe you spend more time than most on it... then it won't take you as long to get through the process. Spend less time on it and it would take you longer.

Even working 24/7, you're not gonna get through it in 5 weeks.

Oh my goodness this thread is getting hot. But I too wanted to add my 2 cents in as well. My dear sweet newbie...please...don't get ahead of yourself now...you are trying to move way too fast with this. A lot of us have been where you are at right now. I know that you probably think you know all that you have to know right now and that you can sell a whole lot of candles and make a whole lot of money doing it, but the truth is...it is extremely difficult to make a living at candle making. I've been making candles for almost three years and although I have sold quite a few, it is definately not something that I can depend on for a steady income. Don't get me wrong, I make money, but it comes in chunks here and there...sometimes I make a moderate amount...sometimes just a little...it is by no means a sure thing. What you need to do is slow down and take the time that it requires to make a quality and safe burning candle. This takes a great deal of testing as each combination of wax, wick, dye and fo must be tested. What you think may be a quality candle, may not be to someone who knows better. Some of us have had our candles tested and critiqued by other board members...I have had someone test for me in the past..and it was very helpful. I'm sure if you asked someone, they would be happy to test it for you. Just something you might want to consider. Don't get discouraged...just do the right thing before something very unfortunate occurs.

I can tell you I went thru the same thing, came here as a newbie- after a few candles made from a candle kit, I was like wow, ready to sell. but these guys made me realize how important testing really is, REALLY IMPORTANT! I found out the wick I was using was crap and testing different wicks, and wax to find out which works - REALLY is worth it bc now I believe my candle is so much better than it was 6 months ago and if I would have sold what I made 6 months ago, I would be out of business and such an embarrassment to my family and friends!! I would hold off that party.. I haven't even had a party yet! I do have a catalog that I include only the scents that I have tested.. yes sounds expensive but I am enjoying the testing bc this is what started in the first place, I love candles! I love always having a candle burn. I have a candle burning right now that is burning terribly, the jar is half black! and if I would have sold that 1, that just makes me look stupid! so, I write down on my notes, "do not use this wick, it sucks" lol Just a FYI!

I totally agree with this! When I joined this "board" (a very short time ago), I thought I was close to being able to sell. Boy, did I learn that I am no where near that point! I was ready to set up craft shows for the summer/fall and start putting my candles on Ebay....I am sooo glad someone here questioned me on it. My "business" partner and I rethought this and agreed that when we sell our candles, we want to be SURE that they are safe - and not only safe, but quality that people will come back for. They are not going to give us a second chance, so we better have it right the first time!

I agree it hurts your feelings to be questioned...I "twinged" a little....but it was worth it to rethink what I was doing.

Good Luck with whatever you decide to do!

And when the 5 week thing was brought up, she lied about it, When her first post was linked to, she went back and edited it.

Either she was too stupid to realize that editing a post leaves a little trail at the bottom of the post, or she thought we were all too stupid to figure out what she'd done.

Either way...

Also, Julie ( Scented ) is generally very patient with the new folks. Even when they start acting stupid. I'm a little different, though... :yay:

hey thank dustpupy for calling me stupid and for the fowl language that came out of your drity mouth

Not to mention, you can click "see all posts by user" and get a very good idea of experience level. Course, I suppose they could go back and edit every post they've made on the board...

When you factor in that only about three weeks ago, they were asking everyine what size wicks to use in each jar before they start, that means NO testing had been done. And... unless they're only going to carry one or two scents and only one jar, there's no way they can be tested thorougly that fast.

This is a safety issue, but it's also a survival issue. Everytime a new candlemaker runs out and starts selling untested candles and/or poor quality ones, it puts a black mark on all small chandlers and makes it hard to get those "burned" customers to ever trust a "handmade" candle again. JMO

and as far as you go yes i did edit my post becuse it should of said new to this site,see i have been making candles for 9 months now.and all the ?????i was asking was for my friend like what size wick to use and what wax ect ect becuse she wanted more OPINIONS THEN JUST MINE,UNDER STAND NOW,MABEY I SHOULD OF HAD HER SING ON HERE AND ASK THE ????? FOR HERSELF,,

Well As You All Know By Now I Did Edit My Post It Should Of Said New To This Site,you See Like I Explaind It To Scented,i Have Been Makeing Candles For 9 Months Now And Tested Every Time And I Make A Good Candle That Is Ready To Sell,but Frist Let Me Clear Something Up..all The Question I Was Asking Was For My Friend,she Wanted More Opinions Then Just Mine ,,,do You Under Stand Now Next Time I Will Have Her Log On And Have Here Ask The Question For Her Self>>>,,and As Far As Duscrappy I Mean Puppy Or Whatever, You Sound Like A Madman,with Calling Me Stupid An All And Useing The Word Shit Nice Going Madman,dont Get Mad If You Are Still Testing And Not Make No Money Doing It Lol Lol ,i Just Happen To Have It Down Pack And Ready To Start Makeing Money,lol Lol And I Want To Thank Scented For Your Help In Finding The Display Case,thank You So Much,

AND FOR HEIDILYNN27 I WANT TO THANK YOU FOR ENCOURAGEING ME TO GO FOR THE HOME SHOW AND NOT JUDGING ME BY THE COVER OR PUTTING ME DOWN LIKE EVERY ONE ELSE DID. LOL LOL,

SO PEPOLE THE NEXT TIME SOMEONE ASK FOR HELP,ON ANYTHING OR SELLING,DONT GET MADE AND DOWNGRADE THEM,JUST HELP THEM,,,,,,WOW THIS WAS HOT LOL LOLLOL

and as far as you go yes i did edit my post becuse it should of said new to this site,see i have been making candles for 9 months now.and all the ?????i was asking was for my friend like what size wick to use and what wax ect ect becuse she wanted more OPINIONS THEN JUST MINE,UNDER STAND NOW,MABEY I SHOULD OF HAD HER SING ON HERE AND ASK THE ????? FOR HERSELF,,

oooh that makes sense now, posting for your friend....:laugh2:

I can see where you're coming from but the fact is that people like this really do impact all of us. Some here make a living from thier candles. A lot of us spend a lot of time helping people learn.

When people get a crappy or dangerous candle, it leaves a bad taste in thier mouth. Word spreads. We all get a bad rap.

We can't compete on price, so we have to sell quality. We have to convince people that our candles are worth a bit more. It's hard to convince them of this, when somebody they know got burned, Either literally or figureatively, by another crafter.

Also, we have a little comunity here. We knowingly and willingly help out new people whom we know will be competing with us, at some point. We accept this. What's a bit hard to swallow, is when these people that we've helped, turn around and do things that have the potential for damageing the whole group... like selling unsafe candles and winding up on the evening news.

It's a bit of a betrayal of trust, on a good day. When they turn around and try to lie thier way out of it, when caught, it's even more of a betrayal. Turn around and pull this crap with editing the posts, and it's an additional insult to all of our intelligence.

DONT WORRY I HAVE A LAWYER LOL LOL

Each in their own way were just trying to help you, but it seems that you already know everything.

Do you have liability insurance, I have a feeling you're going to need it.

YES I HAVE LIABILITY INSUREANCE AND A LAWYER WHY YOU NOT THINKING OF SUEING ME ARE YOU ...LOL LOL YOU SEE THIS IS MY SECOND BUSSNESS I WAS GETTING INTO 9 MONTHS AGO MAKEING CANDLES,AS YOU GUYS SEE MY POST NAME I DO HAVE ANOTHER BUSSNESS,,

hey thank dustpupy for calling me stupid and for the fowl language that came out of your drity mouth

Sorry - I can't help myself. I have to respond to this thread.......... As far as calling you stupid....... well, just look at the reaction you are having, your grammar, and your spelling!!!!!

And for future reference, its foul (as in dirty) language - not fowl (as in chicken).......:rolleyes2

Be grateful that people are trying to help you - that's why you came to this site is it not?!?!?!?

hey thank dustpupy for calling me stupid

No problem, glad to help. :)

and for the fowl language that came out of your drity mouth

Fowl language ?

Not a bit. I speak English, a little Russian and a bit of Spanish... never got around to learning chicken, though. However, sometimes I can spot a turkey.

rlfoods

12-22-2005 06:16 AM

need help in wax decission?????

ok i am new to this candle makeing but i need a little help on what is the best wax to buy and use i am going to try container candles i have read a lot about wax,but witch is the best soy,or parrfin, and what brand should i get/????i will be doing the 8 oz and 16oz jars,,any info i get would help me thank you...,

Ohh, what a tangled web we weave... ya know the rest.

None of this would have continued this way had you not denied your own words. You've made it clear that you will continue to change your story. As in the post above saying you've been making them nine months, then you turn around and correct someone quoting you, saying it's been longer than that.

Our aim was not to pick on you, but to help. However, one thing I've learned

in life, is you can't help someone who doesn't want help. You're not going to listen to or even possibly consider any comment that doesn't completely agree with what you already believe. I'm done with this thread.