Stearic Acid Types

CDD

I've been looking into getting stearic acid (triple pressed from palm) to firm up a blend I'm going to be working on. I've seen stearic acid that is listed simply as 'stearic acid' and I've seen 38%, 43% and 50% stearic acids as well. I've read that stearic acid has a melting point of 157F but Bulk Apothecary lists theirs as melting at 122F. I would like to find something that I can get from multiple vendors without having to make changes to my blend. My question is are these all going to be the same, do their melt points really vary that much and which kind do I want for candle? Thanks.

1 hour ago, CDD said:

I've been looking into getting stearic acid (triple pressed from palm) to firm up a blend I'm going to be working on. I've seen stearic acid that is listed simply as 'stearic acid' and I've seen 38%, 43% and 50% stearic acids as well. I've read that stearic acid has a melting point of 157F but Bulk Apothecary lists theirs as melting at 122F. I would like to find something that I can get from multiple vendors without having to make changes to my blend. My question is are these all going to be the same, do their melt points really vary that much and which kind do I want for candle? Thanks.

They can vary. If you can get the tech documents of what you buy that might keep you in a somewhat consistent range.  Buying in bulk from the same source is usually the best bet, though. 

On 2/18/2023 at 12:24 PM, TallTayl said:

Buying in bulk from the same source is usually the best bet, though. 

I agree but I have no control over that source so I'd like to understand the differences in these stearic acids. Most of what I am seeing are either sold as 38% C:18:0 or as just stearic acid. Does the 38% mean the product is 38% stearic acid and 62% something else? Is one of these preferred for candle making?

Thanks.