Measuring Preservatives - How do you do it? Question revised to make more sense.

the_amber_woods

I'm still only making small batches of lotions to test stuff out and find a recipe that I like...

But for 16oz batch - which makes quite a bit with my current recipe. I'm figuring that I need to use 4.536 grams of my preservative.

How do you guys weigh such a small amount?

My problem is that I have to add it in last *or almost last if I add FO or colorant* How do you measure out such a small amount of liquid.

Right now I'm measuring it into a pipette and weighing the pipette before and after till I get the right amount. Anyone come up with a better strategy?

*edit*

I posted down below to clarify my question.

Make larger batches, or get a small scale that weighs to .1gram

If you measure 4 grams on your current scale, then you might get 3 grams (not enough preservative), or you might get 5 grams (too much preservative)...

Let's see, for a 16 oz batch, that's 453 grams. So 3 grams would be .6%, and 5 grams would be 1.1%

I'd think as long as you don't have lots of bug food/hard to preserve ingredients in your lotion, that range of % should be OK...

I have a scale that will weight to .1gram so the amount is not the problem. I was asking more along the lines of HOW you weight. Do you leave it in the dropper and weight it that way? Do you have a small container you put the stuff in?

I'm using Liquapara witch is THICK... if I put it into a small container it doesn't all pour out of the container because it's so thick... Does this make sense to you guys?

Thanks a ton for your help.

I have one meeeeeeellion plastic ramekins from my defunct personal chef biz, and I usually put the Vit E, FO and preservative in that, then I use one of those plastic spatulas (like the nice silicone kind, but they're not silicone, they're just cheap-o plastic) to scrape out every last bit. Plus, I mix it all together, so it thins the preservative some, and it's much easier to get out.

I have a scale that will weight to .1gram so the amount is not the problem. I was asking more along the lines of HOW you weight. Do you leave it in the dropper and weight it that way? Do you have a small container you put the stuff in?

I'm using Liquapara witch is THICK... if I put it into a small container it doesn't all pour out of the container because it's so thick... Does this make sense to you guys?

Thanks a ton for your help.

Oh, I know just what you mean. I use a small plastic dixie cup and I always worry about the few drops that are always left in it, wondering just how important getting all of it out of there really is. Seems if I use a spoon to scrape it all out then it's left on the spoon, just a never ending circle of trying to get it all of it into your pot :sad2:

LOL, now you have me all weirded out about getting the last drops out...I made a 2 gallon batch of lotion tonight (holy crap, that's a lot of lotion, let me tell you!) and I was all obsessively scraping the vit e and preservative out of the ramekin, it was sad.

And then I would wipe the spatula against the side of the bowl, to get the residue off the spatula, then I was all, "How am I going to get it off the side of the bowl?!" So I'd scrape, then wipe then scrape then wipe.

Finally, I just had to bring the madness to an end and force myself to step away from the spatula. So, thanks. Thanks a lot. ;)

Finally, I just had to bring the madness to an end and force myself to step away from the spatula. So, thanks. Thanks a lot. ;)

Is it wrong that I got a good laugh outa this...

I was thinking that with larger batches it wouldn't matter as much, a few drops missed here and there, but with the smaller batches. LOL Guess I'm just over thinking it.

Thanks everyone for your help.

ROFLMAO Danielle, you nut!! :P

I'm that way though, it's like, how the heck do you get it all out? Scrape, and then how do you scrape it off the scraper? LOL

I really don't think a milla-drop left in the measuring container or on the scraper or side of the bowl will make much if any differnce. ;)

Try not to make yourself nutso over there ladies/guys, you may make yourself bald, and then you'd have to find a recipe to grow your hair back!! :D

LOL, now you have me all weirded out about getting the last drops out...I made a 2 gallon batch of lotion tonight (holy crap, that's a lot of lotion, let me tell you!) and I was all obsessively scraping the vit e and preservative out of the ramekin, it was sad.

And then I would wipe the spatula against the side of the bowl, to get the residue off the spatula, then I was all, "How am I going to get it off the side of the bowl?!" So I'd scrape, then wipe then scrape then wipe.

LMAO that is funny cause it's exactly what I just got through doing. I'm glad I'm not the only paranoid one :bump: