Starting a b&b line- your advice please

JustJackie

Until I get a better workroom (aka- NOT my kitchen) I don't think I am ready to attemp making things from scratch yet. I would like to add to my line of tarts a b&b section. I was thinking of just doing a few basics- hand/body lotion, bubble bath, sugar scrub, and maybe bath salts. I would LOVE to do bath bombs- but after reading abuot how difficult theose buggers can be I decided that is down in the future..... way in the future! :)

I have two questions- when buying a pre-made base, should I add more preservative to it?

Also- I have read and found that BCN is recommended for their bases. Since there are so many out there I am overwhelmed. I would like to know your favorite- and if anyone has tried the JS products yet- can you give me a quick review.

I am still in the stages of finding the type of jars and bottles- and determining what size I want everything to be.

I would LOVE any help and advice.

Thanks all!

Jackie

edited to add- I see that MillCreek is good too. I like that their line is soy.

Why wait for a work room, get going now. ;)

I have two questions- when buying a pre-made base, should I add more preservative to it? No, unless it doesn't have any which I doubt that would be the case.

Also- I have read and found that BCN is recommended for their bases. Since there are so many out there I am overwhelmed. I would like to know your favorite- and if anyone has tried the JS products yet- can you give me a quick review. I have tried BCN lotion and I really like it for just a general lotion. I won't say that it is the best moisturizing for me but it is nice. Kentucky candles has soy body butter which is my favorite except for the overall long lasting quality of the product. It has great moisturizing qualities and is not greasy. KY also has a body glaze that is really really nice. It has a nice cooling feeling when it goes on and soaks in quickly and lasts for a bit on the skin and is not greasy.

I just received my Just Scent and I got the mousse and lotion and in my opinion the mousse reminds me a lot of KY's glaze. The lotion is fair, it is thick and goes on nicely without being greasy afterwards.

It is hard to decide what you want to have in your line so it is best to try samples and ask people you know what types of items they are interested in using. Don't do what I do and buy large gallons of stuff and not like it later. I only buy samples now.

hth :)

Yes, you need to decide what TYPE of products you want to carry first. ie. soy, all natural, etc. then order samples.

I too would recommend trying Carmen's (EBCandles on here) soy lotion, it gets rave reviews and she sells it wholesale now, even has it's own website (rock on Carmen!! :D ).

I've never tried any of the ones recommended (BC, Millcreek, JS's etc.) I actually make my own, but I do know that JS's seems quite pricey to ME compared with some of the other companies.

Get some samples girl, try them out and then go from there. I'm really wanting to try KY's body glaze, it sounds sooo different and refreshing. :)

Why wait for a work room, get going now. ;)

I have two questions- when buying a pre-made base, should I add more preservative to it? No, unless it doesn't have any which I doubt that would be the case.

Also- I have read and found that BCN is recommended for their bases. Since there are so many out there I am overwhelmed. I would like to know your favorite- and if anyone has tried the JS products yet- can you give me a quick review. I have tried BCN lotion and I really like it for just a general lotion. I won't say that it is the best moisturizing for me but it is nice. Kentucky candles has soy body butter which is my favorite except for the overall long lasting quality of the product. It has great moisturizing qualities and is not greasy. KY also has a body glaze that is really really nice. It has a nice cooling feeling when it goes on and soaks in quickly and lasts for a bit on the skin and is not greasy.

I just received my Just Scent and I got the mousse and lotion and in my opinion the mousse reminds me a lot of KY's glaze. The lotion is fair, it is thick and goes on nicely without being greasy afterwards.

It is hard to decide what you want to have in your line so it is best to try samples and ask people you know what types of items they are interested in using. Don't do what I do and buy large gallons of stuff and not like it later. I only buy samples now.

hth :)

Don't you temp me! LOL I would love to go gungho and start from scratch- but price of getting started, worries about trial and error and that "steril" enrionment thing scare me! LOL

Thank you for your suggestion of the samples. I need to do that... I wonder, when making samples to test for myself- should I try to add FO to see the "finished product"? Or are samples too small to add FO to.

Yes, you need to decide what TYPE of products you want to carry first. ie. soy, all natural, etc. then order samples.

I too would recommend trying Carmen's (EBCandles on here) soy lotion, it gets rave reviews and she sells it wholesale now, even has it's own website (rock on Carmen!! :D ).

I've never tried any of the ones recommended (BC, Millcreek, JS's etc.) I actually make my own, but I do know that JS's seems quite pricey to ME compared with some of the other companies.

Get some samples girl, try them out and then go from there. I'm really wanting to try KY's body glaze, it sounds sooo different and refreshing. :)

VERY good point. I have been so busy looking at everything that I am not keeping track of what secfically I want to focus on. Thank you for pointing that out to me- it will help me to narrow things down.

I love working with JS so I was really hoping that her body line was as awesome as her oils!

You sound like me. I want to try it all LOL! There's no way I could unless I was in a bomb shelter to protect the rest of the world ... ha ha!!

I'm having a hard time limiting myself to all the things I wanna try. A very hard time lol!

Yep! When making tarts was just a hobby- I was happy with that. But now that I am a SAHM and this is my "extra" goodie money- I want it all! LOL

If nothing else- I LOVE bubble bath and it is silly for me to buy bubble bath when I can make my own. Almost all of my scents are body safe... then once I started looking at bubble bath I started thinking about the other things I can make too! LOL

by the way- my poor kitchen looks like a bomb went off in it right now! LOL

LOL! Well we did a lot of rearranging to make room for doing other things ... now I've just overwhelmed myself with all that I want to do. I'm running out of excuses to do soap though ... but haven't gotten my oils from coop. However, they're on the way and I have to figure out where to store everything. My kitchen once looked like a bomb just from everything going on with making candles lol! I seem to like the mix it all in a bag way of doing things, so I've only been playing around with one of the dry bubble bath recipies on here.

VERY good point. I have been so busy looking at everything that I am not keeping track of what secfically I want to focus on. Thank you for pointing that out to me- it will help me to narrow things down.

I love working with JS so I was really hoping that her body line was as awesome as her oils!

I carry both the KY soy whip and the JS line. To me-- now I may be in the minority, I didn't care for the KY glaze--it felt nice going on, but then it is really dry after about a couple minutes---I didn't feel it was as moisturizing. My skin actually feels pretty dry after using the glaze---so we passed on this base.

The JS mousse stays with you for hours, even between hand washing. It leaves behind a silky feel and isn't completely drying like the KY Glaze. It is also thicker. The JS silky hand and body lotion is very similar to the line that Bath and Bodyworks had (has?) not sure anymore. My daughter used it and she says it is identical. It also leaves your skin feeling moiturized, nice stuff.

The KY soy whip is an excellent butter for deep moisturizing. I think it feels a bit sticky after it has absorbed into your skin, but it works wonders on cracked hands and feet! IT isn't greasy at all, like cocoa butter. I really like this stuff.

Clear as mud?