Why do I need insurance?

LRC06301983

Thats my question. Why would I need insurance?

Only if I am selling them? and then do I need it if all I do is sell them to friends? or do I need it even if I'm going to make candles in my basement in case something happens and I burn my house down? etc...

Thanks a lot!

-Luke-

If your just making them for your own personal use it's merely a hobby, and if an accident happened in your home, I would think your homeowners insurance would cover it.

If you're selling them, that's a different story. They you've got liablity issues. If a candle explodes and catches your friend's house on fire and burns it to the ground, puts an eye out, or disfigures them in any way, do you think just because you're friends you won't be sued. Guess again. When the fire department determines it was your exploding candle that did the damage your friend's insurance company will be looking for you. So will the personal injury lawyer she hired. See how uglythings can turn.

If your candles explode...WOW! you shouldn't even be selling candles. :rolleyes2

My brother is a Fire Fighter and he explained that the 5 cent "warning label" on the bottom of your candle can save your butt. There's an old saying..."Guns don't kill people, people kill people", so my point is, it's the consumers responsiblity to read all warning lables prior to burning any candle. If they set your candle underneath drapes with a window open and you've stipulated in your warning label "do not burn near open drafts", then who is at fault??? You know the answer. Now if your doing a trade show and a customer trips inside your booth or over your table dressing, yes it is your responsibility, not the hall holding the craft show. If your selling candles out of your home and have consumers coming on a regular basis or home parties, they trip on your steps or porch, you should have another form of business insurance that is going to cover such accidents. If your manufacturing in your home and it's classified as a "business", you should have separate insurance.

I called numerous Insurance Companies in regard to "Liability" insurance and a lot of them never called me back because either they don't want to deal with us or the rates are so high.

Check with your insurance co.

The warning label may prove that your customer was told of the hazards of burning a candle, but the fact of the matter is it won't stop them from suing you. Have you priced a defense attorney lately? You need insurance to defend yourself against lawsuits and to protect your assets. You work too hard to have one unfortunate event take it all away from you.

Anything is possible, and a warning label isn't going to save you from an attack dog attorney. You can even be sued for where you placed the label--it wasn't in plain site, or it fell off, the print was too small, etc.

You aren't safe from any claim when it comes to consumers. You could make the finest candle in the world, but if you happen to pour it in a glass container that had a defect in the manufacturing, or wasn't really intended for use with heat (like a shot glass for example), and then the glass got too hot and exploded, you're still gonna be on the hot seat. An attorney will argue that as a manufacturer and seller of candles you have the responsiblilty, and should have had better knowledge about the materials you were using, and performed adequate testing on them. Your name will be on the candle and you will be the first person attorneys will go after.

Also, if your homeowner's insurance finds out you are making candles in your home, without additional insurance, they can and will cancel you. Or, if you have a fire caused by your making candles, they probably will not cover your losses!! As soon as I started making candles, I got insurance to cover everything. My BIL is an insurance agent and I talked to him before I even started, as I wanted all my bases covered. :cool2: Plus, in this sue happy country, your little warning label is NOT your savior and means squat in court if someone gets hurt.

I agree that insurance is important...to protect yourself. It is unfortunate that people don't use common sense when burning a candle. We know that there are BAD candles out there, like those found at dollars stores. So do they get sued....when they are made in China or where ever?? Does anyone think to sue them? It sucks to have a passion to create beautiful candles only to live with the fear that someday, someone will do something stupid and sue you for everything you got. :cry2: Protect yourself...that is the best advice.

ok this is all candle but what about B&B stuffs? How much and what kind is needed. I have a shop (by real life "job") where I will batch everything so it isnt a homeowners policy issue.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!

ok this is all candle but what about B&B stuffs? How much and what kind is needed. I have a shop (by real life "job") where I will batch everything so it isnt a homeowners policy issue.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!

Then you need a BOP....Business Owners Policy. It will give you coverage for your building, contents and Product Liability.