Mixing Wax

OK, the rest of my supplies should be in tomorrow to begin my first try at making my candles. In thinking about the process I have a couple of questions:

1. Most of what I have read says that I should remove the wax from the melting pot and put it into a mixing/pouring container, then add the additives and FO. Is this necessary? Can't I just mix in the melting pot and fill the candles (container) from the spigot?

2. How to mix? What do you use to mix? How much do you mix? Should I break out a blender (probably a bad idea) or do I use a whisk? Do I have to concern myself with air bubbles at this stage from mixing?

3. Measurements, when talking about the wax, it is measured by the pound so that is weight. But, when talking about additives (liquid) they refer to ounces per pound. Are the ounces volume or weight?

I hope these don't seem to dumb, but I am still learning.

Okay I'm kind of new too but I'll take a crack at this.

1.) you can just mix whatever you want to into the melting pot. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this SO LONG AS you don't mind cleaning the melting pot everytime you want to use a new blend of additives and/or colors and/or fragrce oils. This is really only aplicable if you have something like a presto pot which is a little harder to clean than a regular 2-4lb melting pot. If all you are using is just a metal container/2-4lb melting pot (the ones with the handles or whatever you can find) then go ahead and mix everything into it. Additionally, you can pour the wax and then add dyes and such to each indivudal candle, but the wax starts to cool fast and if you know you are going to make a bunch of the candle, sometimes its easier to mix a batch of wax and work on coloration in the melt pot. but you kind of have to work out your own system.

2.) As far as mixing goes, some people use wood spoons but I wouldn't because they tend to absorb stuff easily like color and fragrances. Metal spoons can warm up I guess so something plastic maybe, and just mix it like you would if you were making juice from a frozen juice mix. mix it until everything seems blended well (not vigorously) and then mix it a little more.

As far as additives go, there are a bunch of different additives and each one does something different. There are one of two that you have to melt alone first and then add to the wax, but most of them can just be added to the wax. Stearic Acid is the most common makes the wax a little stronger but lowers its melt point.

don't worry about air bubbles because they will rise to the surface. additionally, if you see any air bubbles or you pour into your mold and there are air bubbles on top they are actually wax bubbles and you can make them go away by hitting them with a heat gun for a couple seconds.

3.) Someone else is going to have to reply about volume or weight. But each candle and type of wax and additives that you put in the wax is going to want to absorb a certain amount of Fragrance Oil and/or dye. this is going to change with each mixture. So like everyone else, you are going to have to test all your candles which is an incredibly painstaking process but a necessary evil.

okay beyind this you will have to ask some more specific questions.

Additionally, there is a search option for the forums and if you type in key words you can find a lot of information about additives and types of wax etc...

What type of candles would you like to make?

Maybe if you share what kind of wax you have purchased and what you hope to accomplish it would make it easier to find information about your intended project.

Welcome to the forum

-Luke-

Welcome to the board :)

1. Most of what I have read says that I should remove the wax from the melting pot and put it into a mixing/pouring container, then add the additives and FO. Is this necessary? Can't I just mix in the melting pot and fill the candles (container) from the spigot?

Yes, you can. Many of us prefer not to though for a few reasons. Prestos are a bit more difficult to clean (lingering scent and wax), especially with a spigot. Also, when you're testing, usually small batches are made first. You can melt a large amount of plain/blended wax, and just take out what you need for each different small batch.

2. How to mix? What do you use to mix? How much do you mix? Should I break out a blender (probably a bad idea) or do I use a whisk? Do I have to concern myself with air bubbles at this stage from mixing?

I use wooden skewers and long handled metal spoons (no metal in the presto though). Some use wooden spoons. The one thing you don't want to use is a mixer/blender/whisk/anything that creates air bubbles. You always have to concern yourself with air bubbles. Some have used a whisk carefully with a hard to mix/heavy FO.

3. Measurements, when talking about the wax, it is measured by the pound so that is weight. But, when talking about additives (liquid) they refer to ounces per pound. Are the ounces volume or weight?

Yes, weight. The only thing that I don't go by weight for is dry additives, such as vybar, stearic, UV, etc..

Questions aren't dumb, that's how you learn ;)

You can do it either way you choose.....I only pour a couple pounds (sometimes less) at a time so I use a pyrex measuring cup to pour in my wax then color and fo...Lots of folks pour more at a time and find it easier to just measure and mix right in their melting pot...It is just a personal preference.

I use a wooden spoon to mix - after I add the fo, I usually try to mix for at least a minute - some fo's don't mix as easily as others and if you don't stir completely, the fo will sink to the bottom of your pouring pot/melting pot.

I weigh everything.....except wax and I do that by volume....but someone else may do differently...

no questions are dumb! After you do it the 1st time it won't seem quite so scary....even when things don't turn out the way you thought they should, it will be a learning experience and hopefully fun for you. :) Wait till you decide you need to do b&b :yay:

Have fun tomorrow!

Debbie

Welcome to the CT family. As you will soon learn there are very few right and wrongs when making candles. Everyone has a system that works for them. On thing I would like to add is document what you do. You WILL NOT, I repeat WILL NOT, remember exactly what you did a week down the road. And the key to successful candle making is duplicating exactly what you did. That means recording the temps when you add dyes and FO, pour temp, temp of the container you are pouring into, how you cooled the poured candle, additives used and amounts, etc. www.candlecauldron.com has a good test sheet to use. I think there is also one listed in the FAQ in this section.

I weight wax and FO, measure additives in teaspoons, add dye in drops. Melt wax and additives in presto, transfer wax to a pour pot and add dye and FO and stir with ivory chop sticks. With testing you will find the system that works for you. Good Luck