I made Bunny's Bath Melts, having problems....

Michi

These were really easy to make, but boy does that citric burn like a mutha if you get it on a cut. :eek: LOL

Anyway, I'm bummed, and don't know if I did something wrong or what, but when I used one (made in the mini muffin cups) it separated rather quickly but it left little clumpy pieces floating all around the tub. :(

Plus a HUGE greasy ring around my tub. :eek:

I would hate to think that every time someone uses these they have to thoroughly clean their tub out afterwards. I know I only clean mine once a week (if that). ;)

I followed the recipe to a T, except added only 1 teaspoon of cocoa powder.

Any tips or advice on this?

I use less soda and citric acid than called for.. just because I like it more to be like a solid bath oil... and I hate the gritty feeling of that stuff...I clean my tub more often( I have too many kids).. and i use that clorox with teflon.. that prevents me from getting many tub rings....

Ok.. First.. It's mentioned many times in the thread not to use the cocoa powder. It's just gross. Nuff said.

Second, the ideal size of the melt is 1/2 ounce. Leaves little to no ring around the tub, and slicks ya up nicely. How big were your melts Michi?

My advice? Play with making an emulsified melt. This was the first B&B recipe I ever made or built a recipe for. And it's far from perfect...lol

The recipe version that I read stated as follows:

"Melt cocoa butter. When it's melted, add baking soda, cornstarch, and if a dark chocolate melt is wanted, add cocoa powder. If not, leave as is. After everthing is completely mixed and molds are ready, cool until pot is just warm to the touch, but still liquid."

Someone must have added the cocoa powder idea. Please don't take offense Bunny as none was intended. :)

I didn't post this recipe here, someone took the liberty of copying and pasting it here, which leaves me unable to edit it. :mad: One of the many reasons you just don't post other people's recipes without their permission.

It's mentioned both here and in the archives within the thread not to use the cocoa powder.

I'm not taking offense at all Siberia - Just statin the facts Ma'am! :)

the perfect size for these I have come to find, IMO for bath truffles.. silicone ice trays... they arent even as deep as a regualr plastic ice tray and you can get all kinds of cute shapes.. though i only use a heart shaped one... its makes 12 10 ml sized truffles.

This is what I have done when I got over zealous on the size of my melts!

Add more warm water to the bath before you drain it - it will reheat the cocoa butter and allow for more of it to drain out of the tub.

Take a warm wash rag and whipe down the sides of the bath as the water is draining.

Other than that, Bunny is right. A larger melt will leave a BIG ring on the tub. It's cocoa butter = oily... you're not going to get around that unless you use a smaller amount or you could try an emulsified melt. I've tried one recipe for an emulsified melt but didn't like the way it turned out. I'm currently trying to come up with a tweak somewhere between bunny's wonderful melts and the emulsified version. Wish me luck.

I made Bunny's recipe using the mini muffin pan. I use one in my son's standard bath tub and two in our garden tub. I added TRO to the recipe to help with the ring around the tub. So far, no ring and my testers just loved them. I include them in all my gift baskets.

Ok, yah, the recipe that I found said to use the cocoa powder for a darker choc. color, but I only added a teaspoon.

As for their size, I used the mini muffin tin, with the mini muffin papers, and didn't fill them to the top, and actually made more than the recipe said, I got 32 melts out of the one batch. ;)

I don't know I like the feeling of the slickeriness on my skin, but I loathe cleaning the tub on a normal basis, but I have (yes, I haven't cleaned it yet LOL) this brown greasy ring all the way around my tub. YUCK

Ok, what is TRO?

Thanks for the tips Bunny, I may try tweaking the recipe a bit sometime down the road, but man, it sucks that I now have 31 one of these little dudes just sitting here going to waste. :(

Tro is turkey red oil also called hydroginated castor oil It's sulphur treated castor oil and the process makes it water dispursable!

Girl.. You should see the hundreds and possibly thousands of dollars worth I've stuff I had to throw away while testing! Not a cheap habit this B&B stuff...