Advertising / Advertisement / Marketing Strategies... what do you do?

AudraT

I would love to find out what everyone does to market their candles (or other scented items), generate sales, and bring traffic to their websites? I was searching the forums for a similar thread but it seems like the latest thread is a few years old. I'll start with what I do and I'm hoping to get what you guys do for online sales or local sales, what has worked and what hasn't.

My Current Marketing... I mostly have YouTuber's advertise my candles. The candle is the "payment" for the YouTuber so no cost comes out of my pocket except the cost of materials and shipping. This strategy does have limitations though so I can't solely rest on this.

What I'm Developing... I'm currently designing an email newsletter. I hear this is one of the best ways to generate revenue for an online business. I'm not the most natural creative writer so I've been putting this off for a while. Necessity has forced me to finally get out of my comfort zone and do what I should have been doing with email marketing.
I'm also looking into selling local at craft fairs. Looks like craft fairs won't start until April though.

What I've sort of tried in the past... Instagram: it is hard and tricky to generate followers plus I think a little bit of luck is involved in getting your social media going. I can't use Instagram paid ads because the app sends me an error code and glitches out every time I try to create one.
Facebook: similar to Instagram except I was finally able to create a Facebook ad. I paid $14 for 160 likes, 3 comments, maybe 3 people visiting my site, and no sales.

Another strategy I forgot to mention. Whenever possible, I price my items rounding down... whenever possible. For example, rather than pricing a candle at $30 I'll price it at $29.00. There is evidence that consumers tend to perceive such prices as being significantly lower than they are actually. We are all familiar with this because everything on the planet is priced at 9.99, 19.99, 29.99, etc. It works apparently.
People also make decisions, on a subconscious level, when they see a smaller number in the first digit of a price. For example, people like $29.99 better than $30.00 because the "2" is a lower number than a "3". It's only a savings of 1 cent, but it's viewed as a much lower price.
This is also true for sales but in the opposite direction. It's better to say someone is saving 20% rather than $19. Conversely, it is better to say someone is saving $30 than 25%.

• 9 months later...

During Covid I watched a lot of youtube.  One of the people I watched (don't judge) was David Portnoy of Bar Stool sports.  Somehow someone got his home address and mailed him something, the next day he received a few more and then a few more.  I mailed him some of my candles by like the 4th or 5th day.  He was having between 25k-40k people watching him live stream him opening stuff.  Like 2-3 weeks in he was getting so much stuff he had to open stuff in a warehouse and then shortly after just stopped.  it was just too much.  I generated so many sales from that 30 seconds of him opening my candles.  That got me thinking......  Youtube fan/viewer mail.  I started searching youtube for anyone that I could find that opened viewer mail and showed it on youtube.  All during covid I was sending (not so perfect) candles out to those people.  I had a super generic "Thank You for your entertainment" post card i would include.  The larger the audience the more candles I would send.  I would get a 100% genuine reaction out of them opening the box and smelling the candle.  I could tell every time someone posted a video cause sales would increase for the next few hours after it.  Some of them took almost a year to appear, some never appeared.  Over that year I probably sent to 50 different channels.  I had a very successful year during covid.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/9/2023 at 3:01 PM, MilosCandles said:

During Covid I watched a lot of youtube.  One of the people I watched (don't judge) was David Portnoy of Bar Stool sports.  Somehow someone got his home address and mailed him something, the next day he received a few more and then a few more.  I mailed him some of my candles by like the 4th or 5th day.  He was having between 25k-40k people watching him live stream him opening stuff.  Like 2-3 weeks in he was getting so much stuff he had to open stuff in a warehouse and then shortly after just stopped.  it was just too much.  I generated so many sales from that 30 seconds of him opening my candles.  That got me thinking......  Youtube fan/viewer mail.  I started searching youtube for anyone that I could find that opened viewer mail and showed it on youtube.  All during covid I was sending (not so perfect) candles out to those people.  I had a super generic "Thank You for your entertainment" post card i would include.  The larger the audience the more candles I would send.  I would get a 100% genuine reaction out of them opening the box and smelling the candle.  I could tell every time someone posted a video cause sales would increase for the next few hours after it.  Some of them took almost a year to appear, some never appeared.  Over that year I probably sent to 50 different channels.  I had a very successful year during covid.

I didn't realize they have dedicate Youtube fan/viewer mail channels. I'll have to keep an eye out for that. Right now I'm still going after YouTubers but I'm trying to change my strategy and grab smaller channels that want to have an ongoing business relationship. A Youtuber showing your product in one video only generates sales for 24-48 hours. I would much rather have a smaller channel post my candles on a regular basis (daily, weekly, or monthly) and I pay them a commission. Much better than me constantly searching YouTube every day and trying to find new channels to send my stuff too.

Also, I'm noticing more and more big brand companies are going after smaller and smaller channels. Like, BIG brands going after SMALL channels. It's starting to feel like Minute Maid is taking out the corner lemonade stands.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2024 at 3:52 PM, AudraT said:

I didn't realize they have dedicate Youtube fan/viewer mail channels. 

Not dedicated channels.  But rather people that have a channel that get viewer mail and open it.

• Like 1