1st candles smelled awful

Good mornin' all! I am as of this weekend a candle maker. Tried out my first batch Saturday....... Soy container candles, they were "store bought" beautiful for a first timer, AND THEY STUNK SO BAD....... Don't know where things went wrong, melted to 180, added color then scent at 175, poured at around 100. I didn't think the f/o smelled all that great when I took the lid off of it, but I figured being new at this, maybe it doesn't smell good until it's a candle..... 1.5 oz of f/o to 16 or 17 oz of wax????? That's what I did, but I'm here to say, by the end of the afternoon I could take a drink of my tea and literally taste that awful smell!!! PLEASE HELP

well, I don't know. I know that sounds crazy, but how do you tell. I found a nice website on the internet and bought the was, dye, f/o, wicks and all off of it. I didn't care for the containers it came in, looked like little bottles you could buy off the net for around .10 cents a piece, and was labeled with "home computer" label, but I don't know how to tell what is "quality" because I'm too new????

Was it the FO itself that stunk? Did it stink before you put it in the wax? The best way to know if it's a quality FO is to buy it from a reputable supplier. Other than that, it's trial and error. The fragrance section has much information about different FO suppliers and reccomndations of which are good. If it's a soy problem, maybe someone over in the veggie section can help.

Maybe you just don't like that particular FO? I know that certain Fos absolutely stink to me, but other people like them. What was the name of the FO? Also, if you don't want to post the place where you bought your supplies, you could always try doing a search on here for that company and see if there are other threads that talk about their quality. Usually, I find that low quality FOs generally smell okay in the bottle, but just don't smell strong enough in the candle. If the FO was too old, it would smell rancid, but since you just bought it, that shouldn't be a problem.