Why 50/50 blend?

I'm curious why some choose a 50/50 soy/paraffin blend. Is it because the soy helps keep the cost down or makes a better looking candle or less soot? Also do you market them as a soy candle? It seems to be a popular thing to do. Was just wondering what the reasons for doing it were.

Thanks!

I used to use a paraffin blend. But, I tried some 50/50 blends because I was looking for a cleaner burn and less soot. To me ,the paraffin in the blend helps with the vibrancy of the color and makes it a firmer candle (I don't like a mushy candle) and the soy helps with scent throw and burn. I am using Candles & Supplies (house blend) 1275 wax. This is truly a one pour wax that is 50/50 and I love it for my containers. It is sold in a 10lb slab. It is easy to cut and measure and can take up to 1 1/2 oz of FO per lb, although, I usually use just 1 oz because it holds so well and throws scents so well. HTH:cool2: The only downfall is that you can't use it for tarts....not firm enough to pop out of the mold easily.

-Denise

Thanks for the replies and PMs! :)

I'm liking this 50/50 stuff. I poured 2 testers today and I like the way they look so far. I mixed a half and half blend of J223 and GB 415 (soy).

I heated to 180 added liquid color and 1.3 ozs of FO (poured without waiting)and the colors are brilliant with no frost, the look is so much nicer than the J223 by itself and the tops are flat and smooth.

I can't wait to burn them now.

I also like that the pure soy is so much less expensive than the blends. It would sure cut back on the cost.

Anyone else use this blend? If so, what wicks do you use?

• 4 weeks later...

I've been watch this thread because I am trying the same. I have som GB 415 which is a sample I would like to use with The IGI wax. 4630 or 4627. This might be able to get me away from 6006 and or 4627 to cut cost and blending. So when you have the results. Please post or send an e-mail.

Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

You're making me want to try this! Anyone else do the 50/50?

I just tried some comfort blend wax and first shot, I'm pretty please with it. I haven't determined the container that I'll stick with, but I'm wondering if changing this to a 50/50 blend would help soot.

I don't have any...but from what I've read its been a problem for others.

I have been working with a 70/30 blend of 415 and J50, and get pretty good results! I like that it takes color better than plain soy, 99.9999% frosting-free, and throws pretty good compared to just soy and BW. I can pour at about 150 and it sets up smooth and silky enough to leave alone. In a double wick configuration it throws almost no visible black soot, and setup after a burn is very smooth! Only issues are nailing down the wicking, I'm getting alot of mushrooming on HTPs.

I plan on using the parasoy for colored candles and market it as a soy blend, since it has mostly soy. The soy/BW is for plain ones for those who like a more natural candle or who want neutral color for their decor.

geek

Hi,

Just saw this. Sorry for the huge delay in answering the question. I use pre-tabbed zinc core wicks in 10oz Victorian Jars. Such a clean burn. A little mushroom, but no soot, no black, no smoking, and a really even burn. I tell my customer to clip that little mushroom off before they burn it every time. This combo is tried and true. HTH

-Denise :wink2:

• 3 months later...

My daughter is headed to Texas so I'm trying to take advantage of this and let her grab some wax for me while she's there. My question is (and I'm sure it's in the search somewhere but this is a rush deal) what is the best paraffins to mix with soy? My options of both are as followed:

J223

J50

Comfort

Harmony

Soy options are:

Eco Soya CB Pure

Eco Soya CB Advanced

EcoSoya CB135

THoughts and opinions would be appreciated. I have to get this ordered so she can pick up tomorrow. Ginger

My daughter is headed to Texas so I'm trying to take advantage of this and let her grab some wax for me while she's there. My question is (and I'm sure it's in the search somewhere but this is a rush deal) what is the best paraffins to mix with soy? My options of both are as followed:

J223

J50

Comfort

Harmony

Soy options are:

Eco Soya CB Pure

Eco Soya CB Advanced

EcoSoya CB135

THoughts and opinions would be appreciated. I have to get this ordered so she can pick up tomorrow. Ginger

Everyone will probably have a different opinion, but here goes. I tested 4627 (Comfort) extensively and loved it. It has the absolute best scent throw in the world. Problem is that it's sticky (like vaseline) and was hard to wick. If you don't mind dealing with the mess, I would personally choose the 4627 Comfort blend and mix it with Ecosoya CB Pure.

I recently mixed some J50 (which would be my second choice after 4627) with Ecosoya CB Pure. I did a 70/30 mix (soy/paraffin). The top set up super flat, color looks amazing and cold throw is great! I haven't burned it yet though - waiting for it to cure. So this combo would be my second choice.

Seriously though - the 4627 is a great wax, but it is super messy and some people just don't want to deal with that (me included, lol). But it can hold a lot of fragrance and throws like nothing else I've tried.

Angela, if you don't mind me asking, what kind of wicks do you use? I have always used zinc with j223...sometimes used a paper core or cd in smaller sizes if I use more than 1 wick in container. That's probably the extent of my wicks except for samples of a few others. I hate when I put myself in a rushed situation but when I can get supplies picked up free of charge...I have to jump on the opportunity. Thanks for your advice. Ginger

Angela, if you don't mind me asking, what kind of wicks do you use? I have always used zinc with j223...sometimes used a paper core or cd in smaller sizes if I use more than 1 wick in container. That's probably the extent of my wicks except for samples of a few others. I hate when I put myself in a rushed situation but when I can get supplies picked up free of charge...I have to jump on the opportunity. Thanks for your advice. Ginger

With J50, I used zinc wicks. With the blends I'm testing, I'm testing CD and LX wicks. i want to move away from the zincs if possible. I tested the CD wicks in JS 50/50 blend and they did well. I got some soot, but I think I was overwicked a little and I loaded up the FO. LX wicks are what I use in votives and I am really starting to like them for containers too. I would get two sample packs of each and try them out :)

I also tested RRD and Eco wicks in Ecosoya 135. The eco curled too much for me, but burned well otherwise. The RRD were very nice too. I still in the beginning stages of testing new waxes, so I'm sorry I can't be more help :)