whipped shea question

soapermom

I have noticed of course a lot use the melt..freeze, whip method, and some whip over an ice bath etc...

does anyone make this with softened butters? I ask because I never melt.... I use soft butters, and whip at the consistancy of say..shortening.. it gets fluffy and nice and i am happy with it. Are their any extra benefits to melting? increased volume or anything? I havent tried it as I heard alot of people complaining of things going wrong.. like getting it too hot, shea going grainy etc..and I am not one who usually tries to fix what isn't broke.. but i was just curious if i was missing out on any thing KEY to a better product?

I have to melt mine also, they are just too dang hard to "whip" in their natural state.

I did notice that in the summer when I did my very first batch, I didn't have to melt the shea, but then again, after whipping the heck out of it, I still had those little "fibers/strings" that shea butter is notorious for.

BUT, when I melt it, I don't get those, or at least not noticeable ones. ;)

I don't melt my sheas or other butters either. At times I have had to soften them, but I prefer to use them at room temp. I have only had one problem and that was in Nov 2004. I had some new shea butter and it was all grainy. I had to melt the shea just to get rid of the grains. I wasn't as happy with my final results from the melting process. I think it is so quick and easy to make it without melting.

Ann

I don't melt my Shea or Mango. I whip them at room temp. and my butters are firm(before)whipping but not totally soft. They whip very nicely without having to melt. I tested whipping using the whip, freeze, whip again method VS. just whipping at room temp. and I did not notice any difference in the end result. Maybe the butters vary from one supplier to the next and some people might have a harder butter before whipping.