Wax melts

NETS Candles

Hi everyone. I'm Trace a new candle maker. Your expertise would help me in every way from those who are here to share their knowledge with those that need it most. 

Ok, here is my question. What wax is use for making wax melts?

How to calculate the wax I need for my candles before I make and waste any leftover as I always have 2-3 Oz's left over after pouring my jars.  If I'm making 4- 8 oz jars, I times the 4x8=32 and I still have too much left over like I mentioned earlier. Please,help thank you a lot.

6 hours ago, NETS Candles said:

Hi everyone. I'm Trace a new candle maker. Your expertise would help me in every way from those who are here to share their knowledge with those that need it most. 

How to calculate the wax I need for my candles before I make and waste any leftover as I always have 2-3 Oz's left over after pouring my jars.  If I'm making 4- 8 oz jars, I times the 4x8=32 and I still have too much left over like I mentioned earlier. Please,help thank you a lot.

Hi Trace!

What wax are you using for your candles? Some jar waxes can be used to make wax melts but some are too soft. 

On 12/13/2022 at 8:48 AM, NETS Candles said:

With the canning and food type jars, 8oz jars will not hold 8oz, by weight, of wax.  So you have to figure out how much wax, by weight, your container will comfortably hold.  My 8oz jars hold around 7oz of wax if I fill to the jar's fill line.     

On 12/13/2022 at 10:48 AM, NETS Candles said:

this may help figure out how to measure/calculate how much wax you need. 

Okay I hope you are using a scale for everything related to candles! Take your jar and place on scale as above hit the TARE button, this will take weight to ZERO. NOW get some water and fill your jar up to where you want to fill the wax in it. That will tell you how much you need.

Most 9 ounce jars below the thread will be 6.25 - 6.50 plus fragrance.

If you jar says 4 ounces, you wont calculate for that as that would fill the entire jar! That’s why you’re getting left over wax.