Thread tap for Presto pot mod

Hi all -- my husband and I are trying to gather together everything we need to mod a Presto pot. We're using the instructions here http://www.candletech.com/budgetmelter/index.htm but are having trouble finding a thread tap in the right size (the instructions are somewhat vague, and we're thinking 5/8", though we haven't been able to find it yet -- searched Lowe's, Home Depot and Sears. The 3/8" elbow also doesn't fit the 3/8" ball valve. Oh it's been a fun day). Does anyone who's made the pot know/remember what size tap you used, if you followed the above instructions, and where you found it? And did you find you needed to use a different size elbow?

(Yes, I've done a search :grin2:)

THe elbow should fit. Either you've got a part that's the wrong size and was put in the wrong bin at the store, or you're trying to put either two male or two female ends together.

The tap would be one that matches the pipe threads. It's an odd size and rather hard to find. Some people have said that they just screwed the fittings in, without tapping the hole, letting the pipe fitting tap it's own hole.

Thank you, Dustpuuppy. I think the elbow must have been in the wrong bag -- it says 3/8" on it but it's definitely not the same size as the other two pieces.

Some people have said that they just screwed the fittings in, without tapping the hole, letting the pipe fitting tap it's own hole.

I'd say we are at that point!

A 3/8 NPT pipe tap will work with 3/8 NPT fittings. When you're looking for fittings to add a pour spout to your Presto, make sure they're all marked 3/8 NPT (National Pipe Taper). They will not interchange with SAE or any other threads. If you use a tap for regular bolt threads it won't work. A tap for pipe fittings makes tapered threads. Confused yet? It's possible your package was marked wrong. It's quite a pain trying to find stuff in the home improvement stores. The products are always mixed up. Some people look at things and don't care if they put them back where they found them. Hope you can find the right combination of fittings. :)

A 3/8 NPT pipe tap will work with 3/8 NPT fittings. When you're looking for fittings to add a pour spout to your Presto, make sure they're all marked 3/8 NPT (National Pipe Taper). They will not interchange with SAE or any other threads.

*Very* good to know -- thank you, Steve!

My hubby (bless his heart for putting up w/ me) and I had a hard time with the parts, as well. I just found a local machinist in Nashville (GA) and he drilled mine for about $18.

I wish I had thought about a local machinist...I spent $50 for all the things needed to mod a presto pot and then I never modified them....

• 6 months later...