GW 464 soy and coconut 83 discoloration. Help!

KaciC

Hello all,

I'm besides myself trying to troubleshoot this issue I'm having. I've been testing a GW 464/Coco 83 blend for the last month or so, but for some reason I'm now getting some discoloration in the wax that forms the melt pool after burning. This started happening at various levels of the burn. The research I conducted suggested that it was likely due to the wax being overheated and thus scorched. I started noticing this issue after I began using a presto pot (with spotty temperature regulation), however, the discoloration continued even after using completely new wax and the double-boil method. Then I thought perhaps it was the LX series I was testing with, but the same thing happened when I used the CD series.

The specs are
Vessel: straight-sided threaded glass jar
Vessel diameter: 2.60ish
Capacity: 7 oz
Wicks1: cd6, cd7, & cd8
Wicks2: lx12, lx14, lx16
Gw 464: 65%
Coco 83: 35%
FO load: 8%
Additives: UV Stabilizer
FO added at 185 degrees
Poured at around 160 degrees
Curing until wick test: 24 hours
Curing until burn test: 2 weeks

I've also noticed significant mushrooming on the LX series.

Any ideas??!!

IF the discoloration is forming in the layer of the melt pool, then often it is just too hot of a wick  for that particular container, fo, etc. sometimes the fragrance oil discolors too.

As long as the container does not get to the “too hot” range I consider discoloration to be a minor flaw versus a safety hazard.  UL has published acceptable Temp limits for various companies of 120-125*F max for metal to 140-145*F  max for glass. 

carbon heading suggests it is not the ideal wick for the wax/fo/container. The wick just can’t fully combust for one of several reasons.

• Thumbs Up 1

This sounds like your fragrance could be culprit, also try even smaller wicks and make your burn 2.50 hours. That much coco 83 will need smaller wicks. Reduce fragrance load to 6 per cent. Right now your candle wax is very soft with the addition of that much fragrance so will need small wicks. You should try CDN wicks. Try smaller wicks cd5,cdn5, lx 10 make sure you burn for a couple hours. Above wick combos I can tell they are too hot.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/8/2022 at 11:26 AM, birdcharm said:

Have you tried this wax combo without any additives (except for fragrance oil) ... also, what oil are you using?

I have. Sorry, I haven’t logged on in a while. I’m using candle science oils.

Edited by KaciC