Bubbles in silicon mould candles

dazzler81

Hi I've attempted to make 4 round candles a few times now however I always seem to get bubbles appearing. (Please see picture)

I use pillar wax and it recommended pouring at 65° and leaving at least 8 hrs. Maybe I should use a different wax?

I've bought a candle wax melting pot.

I've asked the mould maker to deepen the image as there not too visible.

Tips I heard so far.....

>I've heard tips using hairdryer to heat moulds up before pouring.

>Tapping or having it on vibrating stand

>Using steel moulds instead of silicone

>Pour slow and at a higher temp

>When poured keep it in a pan of hot water so keeps wax hot longer helping bubbles to release rise up.

>Put on a speaker on them or vibrating plate whilst setting. 

>I Need my Candles to be at a quality I can sell. I've included pics please see and any help will be very very very much appreciated.

I'm now beggining to think it's either a temperature issue and do it higher each time or my main concern is its the 3D print fine groove lines in the silicone mould itself.

I've Included a picture of how I want them to look.

Please any help I'd be very appreciated 🙏 💕 

20221203_165228.jpg

Screenshot_20221129_234853.jpg

20221203_171612.jpg

20221129_140232.jpg

Looks like a surface tension issue. this happens in silicone molds with wax, plaster, etc. A release agent / mold prep product often  helps. With plaster and concrete a soap spray, ammonia spray, or pro product applied before pouring does the trick.  

I always use silicone spray in candle molds to help break surface tension as the wax pours. Wax cools rapidly as it hits colder mold surfaces and does not give time for those bubbles to move. We need to prevent the air entrapment to begin with, and let the pouring wax just slip onto the mold surfaces.  You can still experiment with pour temps, and different waxes to achieve the look you love, but will likely still have some pitting issues without a surface prep of some sort. 

for free-standing candles, my go to is usually beeswax.  It’s the most forgiving for surfaces, but is not without its own issues.  Paraffin pillar blends I’ve seen can be stunningly beautiful, I’ve just not had any time to play with any. 

• Like 1