IGI 1230

Just got a a slab of this wax to try out as an alternative to igi 1286 and have been doing some experimenting with it. So far I like the mottling look of this multi purpose wax better than the 1286. I tried to pour one with vybar 260 to see if I could get something similar to the look of 4786 but it just gets a mat finish. Does anyone know what will give this wax a smooth finish because vybar isn't doing it? Also, is there an additive that will give better glass adhesion for a mottling wax that won't disturb the mottling?

On 12/1/2022 at 3:32 PM, Ernie said:

Just got a a slab of this wax to try out as an alternative to igi 1286 and have been doing some experimenting with it. So far I like the mottling look of this multi purpose wax better than the 1286. I tried to pour one with vybar 260 to see if I could get something similar to the look of 4786 but it just gets a mat finish. Does anyone know what will give this wax a smooth finish because vybar isn't doing it? Also, is there an additive that will give better glass adhesion for a mottling wax that won't disturb the mottling?

I’ve tried all of them. I can’t advise you on getting a smooth finish. I have not tried, but I have found no need to use any additives to get mottles. 1230, 1286, etc will mottle beautifully with FO only as long as you heat your jars and cool very slowly. 1230 needs vybar to help with seepage but I don’t use it at all in other mottling waxes.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bfroberts said:

I’ve tried all of them. I can’t advise you on getting a smooth finish. I have not tried, but I have found no need to use any additives to get mottles. 1230, 1286, etc will mottle beautifully with FO only as long as you heat your jars and cool very slowly. 1230 needs vybar to help with seepage but I don’t use it at all in other mottling waxes.

If you look at the pics of the orange candles, you can see the color and scent oil bled out. It needed the stearic acid to stop it and allow 6% fo. And as far as vybar 343 which is the one for mottling wax, I am finding out that it was discontinued and no one sells it anymore. I have a whole bag of it here and used it on one candle not shown and it worked great, with a slightly different mottle, but no sense in using it anymore if I can't get it. As far as the smooth finish goes, I need soft microcrystaline wax for better jar adhesion and smoother tops, but it seems everyone that carries it only sell the higher melt point. I just cant win :D