Now I know why you shouldn't just throw wax in a jar and sell it!

I went to a local pet supply store today and they had soy candles at the register. I've only made a few candles, never soy, never container. I love to sniff things though, and touch them lol.....can't keep my hands to myself in a store.....thats a whole other topic though.

I opened up 1 jar and couldnt believe that it was for sale! it was UGLY.....smelled great, pretty color but the texture of the top, I was just shocked that someone would put they're name on it to be sold! $7.00 for I think a pint jar....seems average to my area, but they should at least be SMOOTH right? I could be wrong here since i've never made one, but are they supposed to be all bumpy and bubbly and ugly!?!?!? Would you put your name/label on one to sell it if it were??? I wish I had taken a pic to show you, but I didn't want to offend anyone at the store...for all I know the cashier there made them :rolleyes2

sorry for the ramblings on of a crazy lady.....I just wanted to share!

Unfortunately soy wax does sometimes get the lumpy bumpy tops even if it is poured according to the instructions. Most of us have played with it until we get it to the point where we are satisfied by blending or hit the tops with our heatguns so they are smooth.

I never bought the cheap candles.......I'd rather have none than CRAP! lol

what does everyone think of partylite candles?

I used to love Partylite until I started making my own.. Their votives are very small and my tea-lights out last them about 1 1/2 hours- 2 hours

Christina

I think partylite is about the best "commercial" candle out there. I used to sell it and Never once saw bad ones, off centered wicks, bad surfaces, but then again the machines don't have the errors that our hands can make....at least not as easily right?

Maybe not, but then their machines don't inspect themselves or the finished candles either to notice when an "inferior" batch comes out. Large manufactures can't only quality check so many of the individual products and still make the kind of money they want to put in their pockets.

IMO it all comes back to quality vs. quantity. We want quality with enough quantity to get us by. The big guys want quantity with enough quality to get them by.

Well what I loook at locally, because we have so many candle maker here is COLOR! I look at the color and just by looking at that, can tell how long a chandlers been out there selling their wares. They will sell PINK Cinnamon Stick because they haven't figured out how to get read. Open it up and the wick it too small and way off center!

I've had two craft show cowarniator ask me how they can tell if a chandler is lying about their abilities in making safe candles...Look at the color and look at the wick!:rolleyes2

When they get turned down from juried shows more than once, they generally give up and move on to something else to make a million dollars! LOL!

I went to a local pet supply store today and they had soy candles at the register. I've only made a few candles, never soy, never container. I love to sniff things though, and touch them lol.....can't keep my hands to myself in a store.....thats a whole other topic though.

I opened up 1 jar and couldnt believe that it was for sale! it was UGLY.....smelled great, pretty color but the texture of the top, I was just shocked that someone would put they're name on it to be sold! $7.00 for I think a pint jar....seems average to my area, but they should at least be SMOOTH right? I could be wrong here since i've never made one, but are they supposed to be all bumpy and bubbly and ugly!?!?!? Would you put your name/label on one to sell it if it were??? I wish I had taken a pic to show you, but I didn't want to offend anyone at the store...for all I know the cashier there made them :rolleyes2

sorry for the ramblings on of a crazy lady.....I just wanted to share!

That is how soy can be and those that make and buy soy don't mind and are very familiar with this aspect of soy wax. You can add things like BW to help with this or even hit the tops with a heat gun to smooth them out for appearances but chances are once its burned, it will set back looking like that. In my brochures, I list the characteristics of soy wax and let my customers know that it doesn't affect the quality of the candle, the burn or the throw. Its what you deal with to get the benefits of soy.