testing opinions needed

Ok, I think I have some of my new stuff down. I want to get some other opinions about it before I start selling them again. Everything is down to what all the information I have seen says:

3" container MP in 3 hrs

Good throw

Nice flame size - no mushrooms

1/2 inch deep

wax is melting off the sides

bla bla bla .........

My last part I am wondering about is if I burn these for 4 or 5 hours, the MP starts getting a little deep (about 3/4") and the flame just a touch on the large size. Not dangerous large at all, but you can tell the wick needs a trim. It flickers more at this time too.

Is this something to worry about or not? I mean there has to be some limit to what is expected out of our candles, right? 4-5 hrs is a long time to burn a candle. What do you guys think???

I have a container combo doing the same as yours Jeana......I wicked it with an LX 28...what I did was make another one with a smaller wick (LX26). That candle now takes approx 4 to 5 hours to get a FMP. Not everyone burns their candles for 4 to 5 hours and I am concerned... if they extinguish the candle say after 3 hours...that it would start an ugly tunnel. I did not have any sooting with the first combo...just large flames and faster candle melt down. I read somewhere, someone said it was better to have a FMP at 4 to 5 hours. I am new to candlemaking.....and am not sure which is better or supposed to be.

You're talking about a pretty broad expanse of time there so maybe you can narrow it down. For instance, how long after FMP do you start getting an occasional puff of soot?

I'm not getting any soot. The flame isn't that big. What do you mean by a broad expanse of time?

I still need to test with the fastened wicks in them. I was only making the holes so I could switch them if I needed. When I do this, towards the end the wicks fall over in the wax, they never get to completely burn to the end. So pouring with the ancored wicks will be next. I hope you know what I mean.

I have a container combo doing the same as yours Jeana......I wicked it with an LX 28...what I did was make another one with a smaller wick (LX26). That candle now takes approx 4 to 5 hours to get a FMP.
5 hours is too long for a 3 inch diameter. Depending on your wax, I could see wicking it for FMP in more than 3 hours, but not that long. The original question that started that thread was about a wick that was throwing soot but sounds like you weren't having that problem.

My concern about wicking 3 inch containers is having them burn clean out to 4 hours or more. There are people who aren't long burners, and the concern there is that they could ruin the candle. But the other concern is that lots of people let them run a long time. After dinner until they go to sleep, weekend afternoons if they're home, etc.

Just my two scents; depending on the FO, my 3 inchers can get to a FMP in 3-4 hours for the first burn; nice, steady flame, no soot, clean sides, yadda, yadda. Second burning and thereafter gets to a FMP a little quicker, burns just as well, most FO's keeping the sides of the glass clean. (Some of the heavier scents take a little longer to clean up after themselves!) When I'm testing them I'll burn to just that, the FMP, and I'll also burn longer, and then again even longer (aka- marathon burning!). Customers will do both. With my larger candle, a 4 incher, I have a hang tag that gives all the appropriate info about burning a soy container candle. My smaller candle just has a lable with no info, but I'm in the process of changing that now. Most people don't burn candles appropriatly; just a fact of life. If youve managed to get your candles to burn according to what the general guidlines are; in other words, it's burning clean within the appropriate limits, has an appropriate flame that doesn't get out of hand even through a marathon burn, the jar or glass can be picked up bare handed without getting too hot, and the overall burn time is within reason, then hey, sounds like a decent candle worthy of a sale! The one thing I've learned from this board that I will never again disregaurd; I'll never, ever stop testing! Even if I never change my wax brand, I will always test and re-test! My New's Year's resolution: every day there will be a tester burning!

Gretchen

It's the wax really. (Strahl & Pitsch) I can use any FO or dye and so far I haven't had any mushrooms. I noticed right away because my old wax (Ecosoya) would mushroom without FO or dye.

I use a mixture of wicks. One container I use RRD and the others I use ECO. But I have tested LX, 700 series, HTP, CD, & CDN.