When did candle science fragrances begin to smell totally different?

TallTayl

I heard from a trusted fragrance partner that Candlescience was quietly bought out about a year ago by a fragrance house. It is not part of the WSP collection of retailers from the breadcrumbs dug up.

if this is true, it would explain how so many of their fragrances smell nothing like they used to.

They've been reformulating here and there for longer than I've been making candles (August 2018.)  Whenever I buy an oil, I take a screenshot of the webpage.  I just looked at some old screenshots and several had notices saying they had been revised as early as August 2017.

I think they really ramped up on their reformulations early/mid 2019.  This post from July 2020 introduces their "Clean Scents" moniker, and also says that they had been phthalate-free since summer 2019: https://www.candlescience.com/introducing-candlescience-clean-scents/

They were my favorite when I first started, but I've stopped buying from them altogether.  They have a very clear vision and they target their audience well...I'm just not that audience.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
On 11/18/2022 at 6:09 PM, TallTayl said:

I heard from a trusted fragrance partner that Candlescience was quietly bought out about a year ago by a fragrance house.

I’m not sure if this is related or not, but a friend of mine asked about the Flaming Candle. We’ve never really looked at their site or ordered from them because they’re on the east coast and I felt like I could get similar things from companies closer to me in Ca. However, because she mentioned it I decided to look, I was surprised at how similar their site and the layout of their pages were to Candle Science. The I wondered if I was imaging things?

• Like 1

I think the major change was when they went to "clean scents." Many of the standards were discontinued and they came up with clean replacements, some of which are just really off-putting. Now all the scents seem to have a similar undertone to my nose...kinda like all BBW products have a common undertone. Or maybe it's just me. I had a few of the old scents duped. Although the dupes aren't all 100% the same, I am happy with them and they perform well.
I haven't noticed anything different lately. Like a glutton, I still buy samples whenever they come out with something new. Old habits...