Need advice with bases

Damelza

Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting and I was wondering if anyone has any advice on who supplies good bases for shower gels, body lotions and body sprays.

I've been researching for two months now and am still undecided. :shocked2: Will be ordering samples from suppliers in the US next week. But the problem is I don't live in the States. I'm in Singapore. Asia. The shipping alone is gonna just kill me.

Any advice would be appreciated. I can't wait to start testing!!!

Thank you!

I would recommend buying samples before buying large quantities. I like Kentucky candles body glaze, it's nice stuff. I use to like their soy body butter but it has issues with mold growing in it and changing consistency once fo is added. I think BitterCreek N has some great bases too.

Thank you all for your input. It seems Bitter Creek stands out! hahah... Guess I'll get samples from all the recommended sites. Am sure glad I found this forum. It's been fun reading all the threads. Was thinking of getting samples from duckies craft as well. Prices were amazingly cheap compared to all the other sites. What do you think?

...Was thinking of getting samples from duckies craft as well. Prices were amazingly cheap compared to all the other sites. What do you think?

Stay away from Duckies. I've heard tons and tons of rip off stories from people on the net about these guys. They used to be Craft Express and are/were known for very bad service. From your distance, I wouldn't bother.

Oh yes...no Duckies...I remember them from way back as Craft Express (and I believe they were even something else before that)...terrible experience!!

In the past, I've used Bitter Creek's lotion and like it alot...but only for my body...as for my hands, it didn't tend to "stay with me" but my job requires my hands to be in water quite a bit...so that could have been the problem...but people who bought from me never complained.

Stay away from Duckies. I've heard tons and tons of rip off stories from people on the net about these guys. They used to be Craft Express and are/were known for very bad service. From your distance, I wouldn't bother.

Thanks for that. Am thinking of getting samples from bittercreek, millcreek and store.africa for now. The reviews were pretty good. And I found a way to cut my shipping in half!!! YAY!

One other question. Are the scents from the above mentioned places good as well or are there othe sites you'd go for scents? I was thinking of Royal Aromantics and Natures Garden.

And grasshpper, thanks for the tip on reviews! (I hope I spelt that right) ;)

I can vouch first-hand for the excellent scents offered by Nature's Garden, as well as CandleScience. I have heard/read that Millcreek and Bitter Creek also have wonderful scents. I don't think you can go wrong. Peak's seems to be the majority fav here, though. Of course, the individual scent will vary from company to company, but as for the one's I have used, I love them all. I have almost all of CandleScience's scents. Love them. NG has so many, it would take me a lifetime! But, they are just excellent scents and their Customer Service, for both, is outstanding.

I know, that didn't help, huh. ;)

I love the multibase from Nature's Garden. I throw in a little shea butter & water and whip it and it sells like hotcakes. I'm also partial to the Crafter's Choice Bubble Wash & Gel concentrate from WSP, to make shower gel. I was hesitant to buy yet another product that I have to add water to but I use a 3/5 ratio and this stuff rocks. I'm fairly new to B&B too and I've tested quite a few products I didn't like that's for sure! HTH and good luck.

I love the multibase from Nature's Garden. I throw in a little shea butter & water and whip it and it sells like hotcakes. I'm also partial to the Crafter's Choice Bubble Wash & Gel concentrate from WSP, to make shower gel. I was hesitant to buy yet another product that I have to add water to but I use a 3/5 ratio and this stuff rocks. I'm fairly new to B&B too and I've tested quite a few products I didn't like that's for sure! HTH and good luck.

I hope you don't mind if I ask you a question. If you add water to the bases, does it need to be Distilled? Sterilized? Any additional preservatives?

Do you have to add water, I thought that they were an as is thing?

I haven't even started making them yet, so you already are the 'experienced' one as far as I'm concerned!

Thanks.

The multibase is designed to be broken down with warm distilled water, and that's what I use (along with melted shea butter). My shea mousse whip is 3 oz MB, 1 oz shea butter, 3 oz water, 1 tsp FO, and whip away with the blender (fills an 8 oz container). It has germall in it already so that is great.

As for the shower gel, I've purchased both the "ready made" and the concentrate and the concentrate from WSP has worked much better (and can take more abuse, ie shaking etc). They recommend using distilled or even city tap water. 1 pound can make 2-4 pounds of product, which makes it less $$ in the long run. HTH!!