Stearic acid Vs Beeswax as a hardener

Ernie

Anyone using any of these in their coconut blends to harden the wax? Just got first box of Ceda Serica to experiment with. I used to use Beeswax in Coco 83 and seemed pretty good. In the Ceda Serica even with a  small amount and poured at 140 it still pulls away from the jar really bad, but the look of the wax I love. Stearic on the other hand 3-10% doesn't pull away at all. Was kind of surprised since it is used in pillars for mold release, but it doesn't give that same look you get from the Beeswax that I like. It is however making wicking much easier.

Additives for coco83, ceda cerica, etc, are not specifically to “harden” but to control the runaway burns and contain the melt.

ok, not what you asked, but yes to what you did ask.

any or all palm, stearic, beeswax all slow the burn. I’ve used up to 30% stearic with no issues in ceda cerica. Most palm waxes perform equally well with it, though all have slightly different burn performance and are not specifically interchangeable. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1