Today was a Very good day. Candle holders

TallTayl

With holiday season in full swing, I took some time away from the dip tanks to solve a problem and have a little fun in the mud. 
the kiln goddess was happy to bring forth  mini taper holders / cone incense holders that work for “normal people”, and some that swing toward the macabre.

the math on these is challenging, but I finally got it right. Making mistakes eventually pays off 😂. When you make mistakes quickly enough you get them Out of the way and move on to success. 

39334FBE-FE49-4607-97ED-7EEBF7653A03.png

This is one of my favorite glazes.

08D22BA7-1A40-4E1B-B185-FA16194DEB03.jpeg

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Ernie said:

Is that the Bayberry wax? Why that instead of Beeswax, what is the difference? I like those candle holders.

It is bayberry.  Somehow my chandling path ended up with bayberry as my signature specialty. It’s such a rare wax with many challenges it quickly became my favorite.  You think soy and beeswax are tough lol, bayberry is much much tougher to master. 

i do offer beeswax in all of the taper and chime candle colors, but bayberry is the big spiritual item people seek me out for. Life is weird. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, barbaranj said:

Your creations are all spectacular….as always! 

That kiln load had normal people stuff too, like a new place setting I’m hoping to tweak one more time before replacing all of my kitchen dining pieces.  The size and depth are exactly what I’d hoped.  It took me so long that I’m out of leaves in the gardens for the year. Each setting has a different plant, and the glaze goes with the plant.  This setting was Mahogany Splendor Hibiscus that I grew from seed this year.  It was the most gorgeous foliage plant I’ve ever grown. 
0C287D5E-E033-45EB-BA53-CED2A2FD780E.jpeg

the glaze need to be applied much thicker than what I thought was enough. And the leaf impression stain burned out more than usual, but the food tasted mighty good on it tonight. 
E26EC062-6422-43B6-B2BC-3694EB199821.jpeg1DED8280-9372-4CB5-A32A-0AF14E3EE77C.jpeg

EEB0C4A6-5C7F-40FF-BECC-CFA7E1B337F4.jpeg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, TallTayl said:

That kiln load had normal people stuff too, like a new place setting I’m hoping to tweak one more time before replacing all of my kitchen dining pieces.  The size and depth are exactly what I’d hoped.  It took me so long that I’m out of leaves in the gardens for the year. Each setting has a different plant, and the glaze goes with the plant.  This setting was Mahogany Splendor Hibiscus that I grew from seed this year.  It was the most gorgeous foliage plant I’ve ever grown. 
0C287D5E-E033-45EB-BA53-CED2A2FD780E.jpeg

the glaze need to be applied much thicker than what I thought was enough. And the leaf impression stain burned out more than usual, but the food tasted mighty good on it tonight. 
E26EC062-6422-43B6-B2BC-3694EB199821.jpeg1DED8280-9372-4CB5-A32A-0AF14E3EE77C.jpeg

EEB0C4A6-5C7F-40FF-BECC-CFA7E1B337F4.jpeg

This color is phenomenal! Love it!

• Like 1

Hopefully I’m not alone in having stretches of time where I have no desire to make anything. The creative well runs dry and feels like it will be parched forever.  Then, one day, a tiny drop of creative energy appears out of nowhere. Then another. It feels like all of a sudden I’ve found myself again, able to express thoughts in the clay. 

Having a style that feels right makes that all better. I remember spending hours at the gallery making “stuff” that had no purpose.  I couldn’t picture it in my home, let alone selling or giving any away.  Boxes of stuff got sent to the curb.  I wonder where it all ended up. 

does that happen to you too? Do you go through the motions and not see yourself in what you make? Then one day something clicks and you just HAVE to make more because your soul needs it to glow? What is it that really makes you feel that energy?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kris10Tackles said:

@TallTayl the freedom of creativity is why I have no desire to start a candle, soap, whatever business. I LOVE being able to just make something fun because I want to versus (very much like have a jam company) having to make the same thing over and over and over again.  Creativity is fun!

Not every hobby needs to be a hustle. 

❤️

• Like 2