How Can I increase projection in my roll on perfume oil?

ichie

I am trying out making perfume oils with Fragrance Oil 30% + Carrier Oil 70% for my Roll on Perfumes.  I find that it doesn't last very long before I need to re-apply.

How can I increase the projection and longevity of my Oil perfume?

7 hours ago, ichie said:

I am trying out making perfume oils with Fragrance Oil 30% + Carrier Oil 70% for my Roll on Perfumes.  I find that it doesn't last very long before I need to re-apply.

How can I increase the projection and longevity of my Oil perfume?

I'd like to make these sometime.  What is the fragrance oil you are using and what carrier oil?  I would think fractionated coconut or jojoba would be good, but I haven't done much reading about it.

2 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Is it a preblended fragrance, or are you making it yourself?

Most successful perfumes use a decent amount of base notes and fixatives to help keep fleeting top notes from evaporating too quickly. 

Yes . Am using pre blended from wsp. am wondering if there is any fixatives for Oil Perfumes?

3 hours ago, birdcharm said:

I'd like to make these sometime.  What is the fragrance oil you are using and what carrier oil?  I would think fractionated coconut or jojoba would be good, but I haven't done much reading about it.

FCO.

19 hours ago, ichie said:

FCO.

Thanks, I'm going to try it out one day.  I would think that the components of the fragrance itself would probably be the thing to take a closer look at -- there are some aromas that are known to linger, while others don't so much.  Maybe you could do a little research in regard to the fragrance oil and perhaps do a little mixing.

On 11/5/2022 at 7:46 PM, NightLight said:

If you want a quality perfume you have to learn how to make one.

That's very true.  There is going to be some research involved as well as multiple blends and testing.  It can be frustrating at times, but rewarding at other times, you just have to keep at it.  One thing I recently read that makes a lot of sense is not to rush, but to gradually work with what you have.  In my own mixing adventures, I find that if I put the bottles down for a few days and then evaluate them later, I get a new perspective on them and can get a feel of what they need in order to go in the direction that they seem to going in.  I think when you're mixing scents, that they sort of have a mind of their own and you're just the audience giving some advice, lol.

9 hours ago, birdcharm said:

That's very true.  There is going to be some research involved as well as multiple blends and testing.  It can be frustrating at times, but rewarding at other times, you just have to keep at it.  One thing I recently read that makes a lot of sense is not to rush, but to gradually work with what you have.  In my own mixing adventures, I find that if I put the bottles down for a few days and then evaluate them later, I get a new perspective on them and can get a feel of what they need in order to go in the direction that they seem to going in.  I think when you're mixing scents, that they sort of have a mind of their own and you're just the audience giving some advice, lol.

“gradually work with what you have”. Such perfect advice! Start with what you have, learn from it, then gradually build from what you’ve learned.  

working with retail fragrances is tough just because they were not designed for perfumery. What we have available from typical suppliers is formulated pretty generically to work with candles, soap, etc. at a price point and array or options to appeal to as many potential buyers as possible.  It can work OK in some simple perfumes, but won’t be anything like a commercial fragrance that specializes in perfumes. But that’s completely ok.  

to learn about perfumery and fragrance blending many of us spent time at The Perfumers Apprentice, Creating Perfumes, etc.  learn how the individual aromachemicals work, how they blend and how the perfume is built on different accords and a whole new world opens.