Help with math for candle tins

Lynnann81

Hello, 

I haven't made any candles in a while but a friend just asked me to make a large order. Not sure im up to the task but im going to try. I was hoping someone could look over my thought process and math and let me know if im going in the correct direction. 

Any suggestions on the cheapest place to buy 6oz tins? So far candle science is  the cheapest I can find with shipping. 

I have CD wicks, but is there a better wick for tins? I have some small ecos also. The FO has no vanilla in it any suggestions on what sizes I should start testing with would be appreciated also. 

200 6oz candle tins, Im thinking with FO and wick ill only use about 5oz of wax per tin? Ive never used tins so Ill have to test everything. Fortunately its all one fragrance. 

200tins x 5oz=1,000oz wax(62.5lbs)

12% of 1,000=120oz FO (7.5lbs)

I know im asking a lot in this post but I would greatly appreciate any suggestions you all have. 

Thank you. 

Edited by Lynnann81

• Lynnann81 changed the title to Help with math for candle tins

We used to give 6oz candles as promo's.  If I recall, the total weight of the finished candle was only a little over 4oz.  I'm thinking 4.25oz, something like that, so 5oz wax per candle will be more than you need. Will vary slightly depending on the wax and FO.  12% FO is way more FO than you'll need also.  I'd probably go with the CS tins too.  Wick will depend on the wax you will be using.

4 hours ago, Lynnann81 said:

Sorry I use 464, that info probably would have been helpful! 

What percentage of FO do you use? 

I use 6%, maybe 7%. I've never seen any improvement using high FO loads. For me it just leads to problems, plus added expense.
I'm not that sure about wicking 464, because it's had so many inconsistencies in recent years.  Based on the last time I did use it, I'd say something in the neighborhood of CD 8 would be a decent place to start testing. Maybe someone with more recent experience with that wax will chime in. Good luck!