Beeswax

Are Beeswax candles as popular as Soy, Coconut, etc? Just wondering because I haven't made any and have only used Beeswax as a hardener. I see the wax for sale at most suppliers but not sure if there is 1 out there that most people purchase from due to quality. I also read to buy directly from farmers that sell it. Any recommendations will be helpful.

• Like 1

I specialize in beeswax, and had a shoppe at the Bristol Ren Faire featuring them.  They’re best in pillar or taper format. They sold “ok” to that market, but I rarely sell any outside of the customers cultivated there. Containers outsold them by a very wide margin. They need care as they burn to prevent blowouts. Teach people to “hug” them periodically to keep them burning well. 

If you hope to use it in containers you need to blend as it needs a hella hot wick since beeswax melts at about 150. It, as expected, shrinks as it cools and will rattle in the jar when fully cooled. Some people like it 5050 with either coconut oil or paraffin.  I tried 4786 with it in a maxi tea lite and it did ok.

I made some ceramic jars sized to tightly fit my pillars along the lines of the old votive candles. The ceramic handled the heat fine and became a neat product for eco chic customers. 

Like any natural wax, it varies from source to source with some barely able to burn. 

the best news about pure beeswax is you only need one wick series: bleached square. 

• Like 2