Goat Milk in CP

Spellkast

I love love love my Goat milk M&P soap and would like to try Goat Milk CP but I can't find anything about doing it!!! I have powdered goat's milk- has anyone tried doing this? Do I just add it to the water before I add the lye? Do I mix it in with my oils? Does it affect the hardness of the bar, or the amount of lye I need to use for ther recipe? Would it be better to use liquid goat milk? How much should I use for a 2 lb. batch? Wow! That's a lot of questions...lol. Obviously I need help- anyone care to offer some? :D

I can't help you with most of your questions, because I use fresh from the goat then frozen GM for my soaps and I use it as 100% of my liquid with only a 3% superfat (because of the fats in the milk).

I know there are a lot of soapers that use the powdered milk so hopefully they will chime in here to help ya out. :)

I think a lot of people who use gm in cp deduct the gm amount from their water. They reserve it and add it at trace; that seems to help prevent the orange scorching that sometimes takes place when you put the gm in your lye water. I've also heard of freezing the milk to prevent scorching, but mine still turned a darker color than I wanted. I mostly do ohp and just add a small amount of gm right before the end of the cook.

Slow down woman lol for gm powder there are a couple of ways to add it. what I do is use about 2 tlps to a 5 batch. Just make sure your water amount is enough , so for 1 tlbs which is about an oz you need 8 oz of water so for 2 ozs gm powder you need at least 16 oz of water in the whole batch. I measure my water, take out about 4 oz of water mix the gm powder with it and then strain it and put it in the fridge proceed as usual and I add it a light trace. Blend it in well.

Do I just add it to the water before I add the lye?

You can reconstitute it and use it for your liquid. It's easiest to freeze in ice cubes. When you go to add the lye to it, make sure the container with the frozen GM, is in a COLD water/ICE CUBE bath.

Do I mix it in with my oils?

You can add up to 1TB per pound of oils. Stickblend in really well before you add your lye water.

Does it affect the hardness of the bar, or the amount of lye I need to use for ther recipe?

Depending on what you use to superfat (amount of lye) drop it by 1%.

Say you are using 5%.. drop it to 4% and use that amount of lye.

Would it be better to use liquid goat milk?

That is entirely up to you. But it's best to freeze it first and don't let it get too hot.. smells like cat pi$$... you will KNOW if it is too hot!

How much should I use for a 2 lb. batch?

See above.

How's that for some help?:smiley2:

I'm pretty new to soaping and since I didn't know any better this is what I did last week when I finally made my first batch of gm soap. I mixed the gm powder (I think I used 4 tbsp in a batch with 5# of oils) into my oils. I then added my lye/water and procedded from there. I think it worked OK, of course I won't know for sure for a few weeks (or maybe a week before I can't stand it any longer and try a bar) but so far so good.

I add 2 oz of powdered sifted GM to some soap oils, stir, then add back to the soap pot at light trace

Just an FYI - if using the grocery store type of GM most of the fat has been taken out, it is best to use the powdered GM from, for instance, FNWL

Have fun and post more pics

Elle

Thank you so much! I read on another site that GM can sometimes speed up trace, so I think I'll try it the way Cindy and Elle suggested. I'll take some oil or some water and mix the GM with that and then add at trace and blend real well. I'm doing an OMH scent with it, so I'm not going to bother with color this time around...Thanks so much for everyone's help with all of my soapmaking trials and tribulations!! I appreciate it!! :D

I'm pretty new to soaping and since I didn't know any better this is what I did last week when I finally made my first batch of gm soap. I mixed the gm powder (I think I used 4 tbsp in a batch with 5# of oils) into my oils. I then added my lye/water and procedded from there. I think it worked OK, of course I won't know for sure for a few weeks (or maybe a week before I can't stand it any longer and try a bar) but so far so good.

If it doesn't zap, try it now! Only thing is, the longer you let it cure, the harder and more mild it gets.

I try mine right after I unmold! It melts alot faster and you can't get a "true" feel of the soap, but it gives you and idea and it can only get better with age.

I'm with you, I have to try my soap immediately, especially if it is something new. I am way to impatient LOL

Elle

If it doesn't zap, try it now! Only thing is, the longer you let it cure, the harder and more mild it gets.

I try mine right after I unmold! It melts alot faster and you can't get a "true" feel of the soap, but it gives you and idea and it can only get better with age.